IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

I'm on the final boss of power punch 2. I'm sorry I ever complained about the final boss of RoboCop 2. God bless whoever had the patience to figure this game out and write the gamefaq for this piece of shit. Reading it was more helpful than watching any video on YouTube. 

Tiny Toon Adventures is done, what a frustrating game. Maybe it's just because I'm tired, but I was definitely screaming at my TV for seconds of this one. There were a couple parts where as soon as I saw the level entrance I knew I was gonna be pissed, remembering past traumas. Turns out I was right

20240130_201316.jpg

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Tiny Toon Adventures is done, what a frustrating game. Maybe it's just because I'm tired, but I was definitely screaming at my TV for seconds of this one. There were a couple parts where as soon as I saw the level entrance I knew I was gonna be pissed, remembering past traumas. Turns out I was right

It's not just you, dude. This game has always been hard for me, too. I rented it growing up, and always stalled out on the second stage. And the one time I seriously tried to beat it for this challenge, I had to ragequit on Montana Max's mansion. This game is a mindfuck like Kiwi Kraze, with the graphics being so cutesy and the difficulty being so brutal. But this one stings a little more for me, as I haven't been able to beat it and do have childhood nostalgia for it.

Battle Tank is done

RBgYNOB.png

Not only is this game beatable, it's not terrible. I will take my 17 points though.

IMO best strategy:

Spoiler

1 tank - 150mm (or Wire)
2 tanks - Wire. It hits when they are a single pixel so use it while they're far away.
1 helicopter - 150mm (or Wire)
2 helicopters - Smoke then .50 cal while they're stunned. Aim with the radar. Easiest fight in the game.
Mines in stage 9/10 - .50 cal
Every boss - Smoke once, then .50 cal the whole thing. Don't bother with a second smoke or 150mm.

The HQs are refueling stations. Don't shoot them. Run into them when you're low on health.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Battle Tank is done

RBgYNOB.png

Not only is this game beatable, it's not terrible. I will take my 17 points though.

IMO best strategy:

Hide contents

1 tank - 150mm (or Wire)
2 tanks - Wire. It hits when they are a single pixel so use it while they're far away.
1 helicopter - 150mm (or Wire)
2 helicopters - Smoke then .50 cal while they're stunned. Aim with the radar. Easiest fight in the game.
Mines in stage 9/10 - .50 cal
Every boss - Smoke once, then .50 cal the whole thing. Don't bother with a second smoke or 150mm.

The HQs are refueling stations. Don't shoot them. Run into them when you're low on health.

Damn, that was gonna be the first game I went for in February.  Though I'm not sure if I would've liked it enough to actually finish it 😛

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's not just you, dude. This game has always been hard for me, too. I rented it growing up, and always stalled out on the second stage. And the one time I seriously tried to beat it for this challenge, I had to ragequit on Montana Max's mansion. This game is a mindfuck like Kiwi Kraze, with the graphics being so cutesy and the difficulty being so brutal. But this one stings a little more for me, as I haven't been able to beat it and do have childhood nostalgia for it.

I was actually gonna go for it a few days ago, but it frustrated and annoyed me to the point where I said fuck it.  I was on the second boss.

Gonna start up Baseball Simulator 1.000 now...

EDIT:

It's finished. The Winners have won.

Results

WI 10-0 SW, 2 innings, 0 hits allowed, 4HR (Mort, Rolf x2, Van)
HE 2-15 WI, 1 inning, 1 hit allowed, 3HR (Rolf, Van x2)
AL 2-15 WI, 3 innings, 2 hits allowed, 4HR (Evan, Noel x2, Van)
WI 13-2 HO, 2 innings, 2 hits allowed, 4HR (Evan, Mort, Noel, Van)
PO 0-30 WI, 1 inning, 0 hits allowed, 9HR (Evan, Mort, Noelx3, Rolfx3, Van)

That last game was one for the ages...

Totals

9 innings
83 runs scored
6 runs allowed
5 hits allowed
24 home runs

6-Noel
6-Rolf
6-Van
3-Evan
3-Mort

Edited by scaryice
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 473/677

Leopard Headed just destroyed Evil Gao Qiu and presented his head to Emperor Hui Zhong...in other words, Bandit Kings of Ancient China is in the books.  

Edit to add: so apparently this is not only the second time I've beat it, but the second time I've beat it in January...had I realized that, I might have made a more concerted effort to beat it on the same day 😆 

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted

in a couple weeks I might do willow if it'd still around.  I got a dwr tourney and a bizhawk shuffle planned for this weekend and trying to sub hour space shuttle project, I am at 1:01:40 on that.  

anyway, if willow is available in the next few weeks consider it done shortly after.

42 minutes ago, PII said:

GUNSMOKE has been smoked.

GUNSMOKE 2024.png

Good for you. I picked it up the other day to try to go through it since I'd never played it before but lots of people said good things about it and the gameplay looked interesting. Once they started spawning enemies behind me, I folded like a wet napkin and had basically no chance of making it through the end of the game (I presumed) so I gave up on it. It doesn't help that I'm terrible at shmups in general and have no patience, I might've been able to do it with enough persistence but the game won.

I finally found some time for a gaming session. So I started Destiny of an Emperor and beat down the Yellow Scarves Rebellion pretty quickly. It was really anti-climactic and I already thought, that this was a surprisingly short RPG. But of course it continued and follows the rest of the lives of these characters.

So far it's a really strange RPG, that starts off as quite difficult and slow, because the battles take so long and enemies are so strong, that auto-battle was too dangerous. But now I've somewhat figured out the game and am having a lot more fun.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Good for you. I picked it up the other day to try to go through it since I'd never played it before but lots of people said good things about it and the gameplay looked interesting. Once they started spawning enemies behind me, I folded like a wet napkin and had basically no chance of making it through the end of the game (I presumed) so I gave up on it. It doesn't help that I'm terrible at shmups in general and have no patience, I might've been able to do it with enough persistence but the game won.

When it comes to shmups there are many for which I could take it or leave it, but when I really like one it tends to turn into a rabid sort of love in which I simply cannot get enough of it and will play the absolute crap out of it.  This one doesn't quite qualify for the later category but it is still a very good game, unique and holds a lot of charm.  It's also one I would recommend to anyone who isn't particularly keen on shooters along with Isolated Warrior..  So it might be worth another shot for you some day.  As far as the enemies spawning from behind it's not as overbearing as it might seem at first.  Level 4 is where it starts to become particularly problematic, but the key is to, one: lead them forward just a bit and then, two: back yourself up and take them out with the Shotgun which can shoot directly left/right, and then, three: use the cliff sides that stick out or the trees/buildings etc. that do the same to get yourself in front of for a little protection and then once again take them out with the Shotgun when they catch up to you.  Originally level 4 gave me some trouble because things get pretty tight but once I could do it, level 5 wasn't too bad and once I made it to level 6 I knew all I needed and it wasn't really much trouble either.  Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a free Horse in levels 1,2 & 3 and can be purchased as well in the later levels to help with making it through the tight spots.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I finally found some time for a gaming session. So I started Destiny of an Emperor and beat down the Yellow Scarves Rebellion pretty quickly. It was really anti-climactic and I already thought, that this was a surprisingly short RPG. But of course it continued and follows the rest of the lives of these characters.

So far it's a really strange RPG, that starts off as quite difficult and slow, because the battles take so long and enemies are so strong, that auto-battle was too dangerous. But now I've somewhat figured out the game and am having a lot more fun.

What I do when I play it is focus on the most dangerous opponents first (casters, then other named dudes, then basic troops).  Taking down the names fast ensures that auto battling goes smoothly.  Also, there's a finite number of named generals you can recruit at once, and they generally have fixed stats unless they're main characters.  As such, don't forget to drop some of the weaker guys a bit later in the game so you can recruit the bigger names. 

Speaking of the named guys, if you do recruit them, they will no longer be randomly encountered (unless you release them again).  This makes the random encounters far easier if you recruit all the generals in an area that you can, as you'll then only encounter bandits and such.  Usually they can't be recruited until you beat a specific set encounter in each area, but it's been a long ass time since I last fired it up, so I may be mistaken on that front.  But yeah, recruit every guy you can, and if you start getting too many guys, fire the weaklings from the start of the game.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Leopard Headed just destroyed Evil Gao Qiu and presented his head to Emperor Hui Zhong...in other words, Bandit Kings of Ancient China is in the books.  

Edit to add: so apparently this is not only the second time I've beat it, but the second time I've beat it in January...had I realized that, I might have made a more concerted effort to beat it on the same day 😆 

Congrats on that! I think it's the NES Koei game that has the hardest learning curve.