IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

5 hours ago, McBryce said:

Anyone have any tips/strategies for Bases Loaded 3 and 4? I’m trying to take them both down this year.

I’ve played a few games of 3 and gotten absolutely nowhere.

Bases loaded 3 is easily the fastest of the bunch. Its the only one that doesn't require a full season. I can usually get it done in a few games, but dont hold yourself to that standard. I grew up with 3. 

The report card thing at the end of the game tells you where points are awarded and deducted. The big things are no errors, dont get picked off or double played on a fly ball. Striking out may be another. You will hear a little beeping sound when you make one of these mistakes. One isnt necessarily enough to bury you because points can be made up with some positive feats, probably homers or strikeouts thrown.

You first have to win a few games to get the opponents level up to max. That will allow you to learn the mechanics and how to avoid mistakes at the same time. Then you have to "play the perfect game" which really just means score 100 on the report card. Then you have beat the game. 

BL 4 is just like 1 and 2 but prettier. Just have to slog through a long season and win the world series.  

Dragon Warrior 3 will be done tomorrow...and I answered my own question, turns out I'm an idiot. You can't change jobs INTO Goof-off, you can only start as a Goof-off. So it's impossible to have a Goof-off transform into another class, unfortunately.

I'm geared to the max and probably leveled enough to finish off the final boss, but I'm going to grind a LITTLE bit more before making the dive to take him out. @Gaia Gensouki @guitarzombie and @nerdynebraskan are absolute monsters now, we're tearing it up!

Edit: In DW3. Also in the contest, but in this context I meant their avatars in DW3 lol

Edited by Khromak

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Dragon Warrior 3 will be done tomorrow...and I answered my own question, turns out I'm an idiot. You can't change jobs INTO Goof-off, you can only start as a Goof-off. So it's impossible to have a Goof-off transform into another class, unfortunately.

I'm geared to the max and probably leveled enough to finish off the final boss, but I'm going to grind a LITTLE bit more before making the dive to take him out. @Gaia Gensouki @guitarzombie and @nerdynebraskan are absolute monsters now, we're tearing it up!

Edit: In DW3. Also in the contest, but in this context I meant their avatars in DW3 lol

Ah thanks :).  Although my list is running low!  I always prefer having a high point to completed ratio, than just # of completes.  The few I have left are ones I've beaten but don't really remember, so I'm not in a rush to relearn some of them.  None of them feel very attractive to even start right now.  Also the way it looks, looks like I'll have to beat Mutant Virus AGAIN, eh? 😞

Dragon warrior 3 is done again this year. This time I went with a very plain Jane, efficient setup with no craziness, pilgrim 2 goof-off into 3 sages and I left them as sages all the way to the end. Interestingly this time I forgot to pick up the shield of heroes, but I don't think it would've made much of a difference. Love this game, can't get enough of it

DragonWarrior3.jpg

Edited by Khromak
  • Like 2

AD&D: Pool of Radiance is done.

This game is very long, but more enjoyable than M&M because you always have new clear goals and the maps are full of more actual stuff even if it's just fun little flavor. It does get tedious, but lots of areas have logical ways to stop or get around random encounters. The relatively low stakes are cool, helping out a town with the local kobolds and a weird guy in a pyramid polluting the river. It does feel like a low level D&D campaign. Fun stuff.

I ended up with a party of F, F/C, F/M, C, M which seemed fine. I never needed more than my F/C to heal and the mage spell Stinking Cloud is incredibly OP, so if I was powergaming through again I might try 4x F/M, 1x M/C. I would also make absolutely sure to roll 18 constitution for all my guys for that precious HP. Thieves are useless. This game doesn't have many traps and I simply ran through all of them with no issues.

9gNPHsb.png

M&M and Pool of Radiance are definitely the longest NES games I've ever played. I wonder how @ZeldaFreak is doing with Mutant Virus and Bases Loaded IV 🥵

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 425/677
3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

AD&D: Pool of Radiance is done.

This game is very long, but more enjoyable than M&M because you always have new clear goals and the maps are full of more actual stuff even if it's just fun little flavor. It does get tedious, but lots of areas have logical ways to stop or get around random encounters. The relatively low stakes are cool, helping out a town with the local kobolds and a weird guy in a pyramid polluting the river. It does feel like a low level D&D campaign. Fun stuff.

I ended up with a party of F, F/C, F/M, C, M which seemed fine. I never needed more than my F/C to heal and the mage spell Stinking Cloud is incredibly OP, so if I was powergaming through again I might try 4x F/M, 1x M/C. I would also make absolutely sure to roll 18 constitution for all my guys for that precious HP. Thieves are useless. This game doesn't have many traps and I simply ran through all of them with no issues.

M&M and Pool of Radiance are definitely the longest NES games I've ever played. I wonder how @ZeldaFreak is doing with Mutant Virus and Bases Loaded IV 🥵

I love Pool of Radiance and I've beaten it several times, it's really awesome. It's definitely not balanced, as you said the incapacitating spells are just broken AF and it probably overstays its welcome, but I always enjoyed the exploration, writing, and the combat is quite involved and engaging, despite the imbalance. I typically go for a pile of F/M, some F/C, and one straight cleric, just to speed up the healing process. There are probably tons of viable compositions though; shame Thief is utterly worthless.

• Like 1

I will probably start Battleship in the next couple of days unless someone else speaks up soon. I love the last 5 or 10 stages, but only one of us should have to suffer through the tedium of all those middle rounds. And it's a nice game to do in pieces if I find myself finishing my game of the day 30 minutes early.

I should also say that I've been dabbling in Gremlins 2. It was a game that I had growing up, but always stalled on pretty quickly. This game is still damn hard with all the skills I've built through adulthood. I'm currently on Stage 4-1. I really wish I could buy more than one item per stage in the store.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I should also say that I've been dabbling in Gremlins 2. It was a game that I had growing up, but always stalled on pretty quickly. This game is still damn hard with all the skills I've built through adulthood. I'm currently on Stage 4-1. I really wish I could buy more than one item per stage in the store.

I've never gotten around to completing this game myself either.  Although I think it's great it has always tended to fall by the wayside in favor of something else.  I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.  The thing that always amazes me a bit is that year after year it seems to remain at the same popularity level of ...unpopular and the price never really goes up much either.  Thinking about it again now, I suppose it's probably because of the difficulty level...

I didn't have time to play video games these past few days, because I had so much work and other stuff to do. Then when I was reading the manual for Destiny of an Emperor tonight I ended up spending roughly two hours reading up on all these historic figures, the Yellow Turban Rebellion etc. So much for this night of gaming. I will probably start the game proper tomorrow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I will probably start Battleship in the next couple of days unless someone else speaks up soon. I love the last 5 or 10 stages, but only one of us should have to suffer through the tedium of all those middle rounds. And it's a nice game to do in pieces if I find myself finishing my game of the day 30 minutes early.

I started Battleship tonight. It might take a week or two, but I’ll get it done.

Ultima Exodus is done. It’s a super grindy game, but I’ve had a lot going on lately and the grind just felt eternal. Glad it’s finally done again. 

I went with different party this time; all Elf race party of 2 Paladins and 2 Larks. If you get your DEX score to 99, you auto hit every attack, and Elves are the only race who can get that DEX. The lack of dedicated spellcasters made it a little longer of a haul. 

IMG_8713.jpeg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 435/677