IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Not sure what to do next.  I still have Blaster Master...

Is Low G Man a 9 because it has to be beaten 3 times?

If it's 8 or so hours before your bedtime, that's barely enough time to squeeze in a run of Blaster Master. Today's the day!

I'm playing RoboCop 2 right now. This game is absolutely awful. I thought maybe I'd like it because I kinda enjoyed playing darkman after a while, but no. This is the type of game no kid could've possibly ever completed. I'm convinced Nintendo hated children after playing this. They just wanted to take the parents money and make the kids cry. Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Bucky O'Hare is a lot of fun. It's brutal, but it has infinite continues (including at mid-level checkpoints) and a good password system. Be patient, and you can brute-force your way through it.

Have you ever tried HARD mode (one-hit kills) with the code?  That one level where you are on a shrinking ice platform in the middle of the screen that slowly gets smaller and smaller is possibly the toughest individual NES level I've ever beaten...

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

If it's 8 or so hours before your bedtime, that's barely enough time to squeeze in a run of Blaster Master. Today's the day!

Hah, I know but i'm still bitter that when I played it last week, it soft locked me half way thru the game.

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm pretty sure only one loop is required. That's all I did last year.

Oh ok, i'll give it a shot.  I'm pretty sure I beat it but I can't quite remember.

I tried my hands at Klashball, but that game is so awful. The controls are atrocious and it feels like the game is at least half based on luck. Some games I wipe the floor with the enemies and win something like 10-1 or 22-0 and other times I'm getting wrecked mercilessly. Also, that weird buzzing sound during kickoff is so etched into my ears that I'm still hearing it even after shutting off the console. Anyway, good luck to whoever wants to beat this janky game.

It's starting to get difficult finding games that I still want to beat. Is anybody currently working on Destiny of an Emperor? Is this game stressful or frustrating for an RPG?

2 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm playing RoboCop 2 right now. This game is absolutely awful. I thought maybe I'd like it because I kinda enjoyed playing darkman after a while, but no. This is the type of game no kid could've possibly ever completed. I'm convinced Nintendo hated children after playing this. They just wanted to take the parents money and make the kids cry. Lol

I beat it last year for the first time ever. It's not a good game but the infinite continues means you can practice each section a bunch of times until you get it. The jank is bad but you somewhat get used to it after a while. It's definitely a memorization type of game.

Didn't enjoy my time with it though 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Is anybody currently working on Destiny of an Emperor? Is this game stressful or frustrating for an RPG?

I haven't played it yet myself but from what I hear it's a good RPG except the final boss is borderline impossible and requires some dumb luck in the form of favorable RNG...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

It's starting to get difficult finding games that I still want to beat. Is anybody currently working on Destiny of an Emperor? Is this game stressful or frustrating for an RPG?

I would rate it as a top tier NES RPG with one or two spots that are so unintuitive that you may need to resort to a guide to figure out what to do.  Also, if you do decide to tackle it, be sure to look up the treasure chest bug and inventory glitch so you can avoid a catastrophe...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I think you'll find both of those doable at your skill level.

There are good maps for Rambo online. Give yourself 2-4 hours, and I bet you can beat it in one sitting. Remember that the enemies that drop items do so roughly 100% of the time. That makes farming for health and high-end ammo very manageable. Kill the gorilla, take his medicine, leave the screen, come straight back, and he's respawned. Rinse and repeat for 3-4 minutes and you have a full supply.

I mean, anything's doable at my skill level. 😎 Yesterday, I finally beat Malenia at level 1 in Elden Ring (ignore the many hours and hundreds of deaths it took). So I'm feeling super confident now.

But, I did beat Rambo tonight. I played an hour a few days ago, and around another two today, so maybe 3 hours total? It wasn't too bad. A little confusing on where to go near the end, but I never felt the need to make a map since there weren't too many path options. Yeah, the farming strat helps quite a bit. Before this, the last new NES game I beat was the Lone Ranger last year, and that was a much bigger challenge.

What a goofy game. I continue to be amazed at just how blatant this game and Battle of Olympus are at ripping off Zelda 2. They're not even trying to hide it. Neither one comes close quality-wise, though.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 413/677
13 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I tried my hands at Klashball, but that game is so awful. The controls are atrocious and it feels like the game is at least half based on luck. Some games I wipe the floor with the enemies and win something like 10-1 or 22-0 and other times I'm getting wrecked mercilessly. Also, that weird buzzing sound during kickoff is so etched into my ears that I'm still hearing it even after shutting off the console. Anyway, good luck to whoever wants to beat this janky game.

Destiny of an Emperor is great! Only really tough part is the final bosses which can just just have some really bad rng so they might take a few attempts. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Well, I tried playing Tecmo NBA Basketball, and I just cannot comprehend sports games like that. I was down 16-0 and shut it off. Too many people running around and no idea how to control anything (yes I read the manual).

There's almost no such thing as a NES game that I hate, but Tecmo NBA Basketball def. qualifies for the reasons stated here.

3 minutes ago, PII said:

There's almost no such thing as a NES game that I hate, but Tecmo NBA Basketball def. qualifies for the reasons stated here.

I don't get what you and @Daniel_Doyce have against it.  when we did it for the contest a couple years back, it took a couple games but once I got the hang of it, I was regularly beating the computer by 30 points or more.  I did find some teams better than others though.  I couldn't for the life of me win consistently as the Bulls.  I did, however, go 81-1 and undefeated in the playoffs with Golden State.  Focus on defense and its a lot easier.

42 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't get what you and @Daniel_Doyce have against it.  when we did it for the contest a couple years back, it took a couple games but once I got the hang of it, I was regularly beating the computer by 30 points or more.  I did find some teams better than others though.  I couldn't for the life of me win consistently as the Bulls.  I did, however, go 81-1 and undefeated in the playoffs with Golden State.  Focus on defense and its a lot easier.

Hmm. Well, of course I picked the Bulls... So I'll give it another shot as the Warriors. It's only 26 games for a short season.

I've done Tecmo NBA a couple of times for this challenge. It takes some getting used to, but it's not horrible. Also, it is allowed to skip the entirety of the regular season and still take credit here. Some players do like to play a couple of regular season games to try and figure out the game's mechanics, but that's up to you.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Hmm. Well, of course I picked the Bulls... So I'll give it another shot as the Warriors. It's only 26 games for a short season.

Yeah, I went through the stats for the year when picking teams to short list, and because defense was super important I ended up with GS, who was the top defensive team that year.  The Bulls just couldn't cut it in that regard, and I wasn't consistent enough to pull off a win with them.  I posted a ton in the contest thread if you want to check it out.

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/10395-2022-vgs-nes-weekly-contest-tecmo-basketball/

Good luck!

MIGHTY BOMB JACK is done.

This is my first time completing a "full" run of this game which required both crystal balls and at least 5 Secret coins in order to enter all of the royal chambers at the end and oust that pesky Beelzebub for good.

MBJ2024.png

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I've done Tecmo NBA a couple of times for this challenge. It takes some getting used to, but it's not horrible. Also, it is allowed to skip the entirety of the regular season and still take credit here. Some players do like to play a couple of regular season games to try and figure out the game's mechanics, but that's up to you.

well... the winning conditions do stipulate you're supposed to complete a season. Are you talking about a short season or something else?

22 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

well... the winning conditions do stipulate you're supposed to complete a season. Are you talking about a short season or something else?

It's a standard rule for sports games with season modes that you have to play the season mode. But it's also standard that sports games that will let you skip/simulate the regular season, it is only necessary to play the postseason games. Tecmo NBA allows you to skip those games.

Also, Wolverine is done.

Side Pocket is done. Not a first time clear, but I tried to beat it last year and failed, so it sort of has the feel of one. Took 3 or 4 nights playing on and off to get it back and reremember all the strategy. Almost sad I got it done that quick. I was content to play pool for a couple weeks. 

20240123_205608.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1