IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

Digger T. Rock is done.  Took like 3 hours of practice to knock it off, but by the time I did I got a no-death run.  Maybe one day I'll do a no-warp run, but probably not.  Even though you can only skip the first three levels, none of them should be particularly difficult.  The only real bitch was the final level, but that was more a matter of execution with the shittacular jumping mechanics.  Still, I would recommend it overall, it's definitely fun, if a bit frustrating at times.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 358/677
3 hours ago, Khromak said:

X-Men is beaten for another year. Always frustrating, but still has its fun parts. It's mostly enjoyable for me at this point, except when I get stuck in a corner or trapped by a magnet and die before I can control my character...

20240116_130216.jpg

I've always liked X-Men.  Rented it a bunch when I was a kid.  It's not great solo, but it's pretty fun when played with a friend.

The immortal is finished once again. As always, the final boss and the barrel swimming sections were the worst and took many, many tries. This year I didn't look at any videos or guides and played the whole thing from memory as a challenge to myself, I did alright

20240116_164146.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I've always liked X-Men.  Rented it a bunch when I was a kid.  It's not great solo, but it's pretty fun when played with a friend.

I've been meaning to have a friend play it with me, but I don't have a lot of local friends who are into retro games. Maybe none.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, it's fun if you can laugh at the ridiculousness of that game together as a team.  

Solo it's just a slog, IMO

I did like that they tried to at least pay lip service to the characters' different abilities. Like Nightcrawler's teleport (read: disappear and reappear a few inches away) and Storm's flying (read: move really fast a few inches.)

Edited by Tulpa

23 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, it's fun if you can laugh at the ridiculousness of that game together as a team.  

Solo it's just a slog, IMO

I did like that they tried to at least pay lip service to the characters' different abilities. Like Nightcrawler's teleport (read: disappear and reappear a few inches away) and Storm's flying (read: move really fast a few inches.)

I would call it literally unplayable solo, and barely playable with 2 players, and not fun whatsoever. Only worth beating using glitches.

I just finished Kirby's adventure, a game I'd never played for more than a half hour previously. Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. It looks great, sounds great, love the animations and I love the IDEA of the game, but the controls were frustrating throughout, vanilla Kirby sucks, and a lot of the powers felt sluggish or downright useless. 

It's not an awful game, especially not by nes standards, but I was expecting much better

20240116_194607.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WashYourFace said:

I would call it literally unplayable solo, and barely playable with 2 players, and not fun whatsoever. Only worth beating using glitches.

Hmmm IDK what glitches you're referring to but I don't *think* I used any, at least not that I'm aware of.

It's definitely not unplayable solo. Outside of the fact that you lose 1 character per level to the shitty AI, it's perfectly functional after that. The lack of i-frames, knockback, and enemy respawns can get annoying, but they're all pretty manageable with some experience and careful play. I can typically knock out a win in 2-3 hours or < 10 tries. It's not too bad, just gotta use the right characters for each stage, be careful and take it slow.

9 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I just finished Kirby's adventure, a game I'd never played for more than a half hour previously. Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. It looks great, sounds great, love the animations and I love the IDEA of the game, but the controls were frustrating throughout, vanilla Kirby sucks, and a lot of the powers felt sluggish or downright useless. 

It's not an awful game, especially not by nes standards, but I was expecting much better

20240116_194607.jpg

I always think of Kirby as a Gameboy game 1st and foremost. Same with DuckTales. 

7 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Hmmm IDK what glitches you're referring to but I don't *think* I used any, at least not that I'm aware of.

It's definitely not unplayable solo. Outside of the fact that you lose 1 character per level to the shitty AI, it's perfectly functional after that. The lack of i-frames, knockback, and enemy respawns can get annoying, but they're all pretty manageable with some experience and careful play. I can typically knock out a win in 2-3 hours or < 10 tries. It's not too bad, just gotta use the right characters for each stage, be careful and take it slow.

It's been a long time since I played it, but as I recall you can just walk away from the bosses (except maybe the last guy?) and not fight them. That's how I beat it. I don't know if that's a "glitch" but the whole game is a glitchy mess.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well that sucks 😞 You got kids you can train, or nephews/nieces?

No kids, 3 nieces. Two of them live 12 hours away, but one is reasonably close! I don't spend enough time with her to indoctrinate her into the NES lifestyle though 😄

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

20240116_194607.jpg

I remember when I played it.  While I liked it, I definitely felt like it overstayed it's welcome.  If it was half as long I would probably have liked it a lot more.

59 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Fun fact - if you play and subsequently leave the practice level, you get all your dead characters back.  Not sure if it's intentional or not, but it can definitely help.

58 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I started Pool of Radiance FYI

Great game IMO, though the final fight is brutal.  The level cap feels far too low.

51 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

It's been a long time since I played it, but as I recall you can just walk away from the bosses (except maybe the last guy?) and not fight them. That's how I beat it. I don't know if that's a "glitch" but the whole game is a glitchy mess.

That's really only if you play as Nightcrawler.  Normally you have to kill the boss to get the key to continue, but Nightcrawler can just walk through the gate and continue on.

30 minutes ago, Khromak said:

No kids, 3 nieces. Two of them live 12 hours away, but one is reasonably close! I don't spend enough time with her to indoctrinate her into the NES lifestyle though 😄

My nieces play periodically, but usually if they're bored.  They don't particularly like it.  Though they've only really tried SMB, and since I hate that one they probably picked up on that 😆 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 365/677