IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

On 4/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, Daniel_Doyce said:

I just got into the groove and zoned out while playing it by smoking cigars and watching 1990s Playmate profiles on shuffle in the background.

I think you forgot to drink Chartreuse while eating fettuccine alfredo and dove bars while also being in the hot tub at the time... 😉 

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 649/677
20 hours ago, PII said:

I think you forgot to drink Chartreuse while eating fettuccine alfredo and dove bars while also being in the hot tub at the time... 😉 

Well, to be fair, I smoke cigars and watch retro softcore nudie vids all day anyway, especially now that I retired this year.

Anyway, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 is done. Since @Gaia Gensouki is doing Genghis Khan, that may be it for me for this year.

IMG_0087.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Well, to be fair, I smoke cigars and watch retro softcore nudie vids all day anyway, especially now that I retired this year.

Anyway, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 is done. Since @Gaia Gensouki is doing Genghis Khan, that may be it for me for this year.

Any chance the tobacco and titties would keep you cool long enough to power through Championship Pool?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I've beaten Gauntlet again. Yeah, it takes a lot of restarts on the last password. The easiest way is to start on level 79, go to the treasure room on 83, and then purposely die on 84. This way, you can max out your bombs and get to 1600 treasures for more max health (the game only updates your password after beating a treasure room). Once you have all that, then you can make serious attempts at beating it.

uz2ho8d.jpeg

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 651/677
15 hours ago, scaryice said:

We were one day short of the fastest time to 650 games cleared (4/9 vs 4/8 in 2015). We could still beat the fastest time to clear the whole thing though, which is June 12th. 2 months to beat the last 26 games?

Well.. I have beaten Bases Loaded before with the exploit, so I guess I could slog through it again. Is anyone actively working on it?

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
can't spell

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Also, what's up with Xevious? I suck at shooters, but thought that one is way easier than Starship Hector

Maybe I'll play it next if nobody wants it. I've played it before its just really bland.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 652/677
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 653/677
7 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Right on!

Did you beat it with a normal controller? Maybe I'll screw around with it next year.

Yeah, normal controller. Got about 35 lives and ended up with around 10. Just went back and forth between two screens on the first area until I had enough to move on. Overall, it only took about 90 minutes, but I've beaten it twice before.

I think this game is similar to Arkanoid, in that the glove would allow you to move faster than the controller, but it's still totally beatable without it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGameDisplay said:

Sky Kid and Slalom are done! Took me a good while to get the hang of Slalom, but after beating one hill I was able to come back the next day and beat the other two fairly easily. It's actually a really fun game!

Nice, Sky Kid is such a tough game. I was trying a few years ago and I only got to stage 21. Happy to see that one off the list!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 655/677

It looks like Gaia has clinched the most Pain Points for 2024! Previously when we had them, he also had the most in 2021 and tablew/chairs had the most in 2020. Gaia is also getting closer to clinching the overall championship, up by 199 points over nerdy with only 279 still out there.

6 hours ago, TheGameDisplay said:

SteepSlope.png.1754b3812b2093dbca9871a1da4535e8.png

MtNasty.png.3ceddc5b6331a68e877379c3a340bad7.png

Sky Kid and Slalom are done! Took me a good while to get the hang of Slalom, but after beating one hill I was able to come back the next day and beat the other two fairly easily. It's actually a really fun game!

Nice. I just subbed to your Youtube channel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

Nice, Sky Kid is such a tough game. I was trying a few years ago and I only got to stage 21. Happy to see that one off the list!

I got it down to quite the science, making most ordinarily tough parts of the game fairly doable on a consistent basis. . Anyone who might want to tackle it in future years may want to check out my winning run!

@mbd39 Thank you so much! 😄

9 4 Arkanoid -- @McBryce
8 2 Athena -- minor chatter; no commitments?
10 3 Bases Loaded -- @Daniel_Doyce
10 5 Bases Loaded IV -- @McBryce
10 5 Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge -- NO discussion
8   Captain America and the Avengers -- some talk; no commitments?
8 5 Championship Pool -- NO discussion
10 4 Dance Aerobics -- I might try again next week
10 2 Genghis Khan -- @Gaia Gensouki
10 5 Hunt for Red October -- NO discussion
9 4 Ikari Warriors -- @arnpoly?
10 4 Kung Fu Heroes -- @scaryice?
9 5 Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix -- NO discussion
7 5 Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing -- NO discussion
9 4 Rally Bike -- minor chatter; no commitments?
10 2 Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball  -- I'm on it!
10 3 Star Force -- @BriGuy82?
9 2 Star Soldier -- NO discussion
8 4 Time Lord -- minor chatter; no commitments?
10 5 To the Earth -- NO discussion; Zapper required
10 3 Top Gun: The Second Mission -- NO discussion
7 2 Xevious -- @BriGuy82?

I just thought I would put up this list to get a sense of how things are going. I'm about halfway through the regular season of Clemens baseball. I may have time to break the Power Pad out next week and try Dance Aerobics again, but it kicked my ass in a way that the other Power Pad games didn't. If someone else wants to go for it, just say so. The only other game left on this board that I've beaten before is Captain America, which I might also try again next week. I got my ass kicked on it when I tried again last year, but I'm a little bit motivated after watching a guy on YouTube crush it in 20 minutes a few days ago.

I think we've had four different games be the very last to fall in the years that we've succeeded. L'Empereur and Mutant Virus are already down, but I think someone will have to beat the Andretti racing game and To the Earth soon to keep that streak going.

In the meantime, I'm with Bonnie Tyler. We're holding out for heroes to tackle these unclaimed games.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Good to know who's working on which game. Unfortunately, I've at least tried almost every game left on this list and outside of Genghis Khan I don't see any game where I have a realistic chance of beating it.

I usually enjoy these old-school racing games, but 3 out of the 4 that are left are pretty bad and very difficult on top of it. iirc, Nigel Mansell's WCR seemed pretty well made, but I never managed to win even a single race.

Also, my work on these games has been slowed down significantly due to the weekly NES challenges since I only have so much time and energy that I can spend on video games.