IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 661/677

3 hours ago, Khromak said:

7 days to get 7 games if we want to break the record for fastest to 650. Who's working on something that could be done in that time? Do we think we have any chance?

My list is looking pretty slim, I'm open to hearing about any game on the list that's not too tough or crazy long but I think that pretty much eliminates everything still left haha.

I'm considering trying Athena (long and difficult) or Gauntlet (difficult as hell) again, or possibly seeing if I can get the pitching trick to work in Bases Loaded, though I could also barely score a hit in the batting of that game, so I'm not likely to be winning any games there any time soon.

Wouldn't count on much in the way of completions from me, but I'll give those a shot throughout this week and see what I can come up with. I'll be out of town this upcoming weekend to see the solar eclipse, but will probably bring some kind of NES with me to attempt some games in my down time.

I put silkworm in Friday I made it to the final boss so I’d say I’d probably be able finish this week

• Like 1

16 hours ago, McBryce said:

I finally got a Vaus controller that works so I am going to try and get Arkanoid done within the year.

I am not going to guarantee anything because I know this game’s reputation, but I’m going to give it a shot.

if anyone who’s taken this down before has any strategies or words of wisdom it would be much appreciated. I’m going to make liberal use of the level skip and pause buffering, but with the caveat that I have to beat a level first in order to skip it. So far I’m through 1-4.

This seems like it’s going to be absolute hell.

Yea I’d work on the first 15 until you’re able to beat them without doing the level skip just for the practice and I can’t fully remember but I think you’re skipping levels one at a time so if it’s an easy one I’m pretty sure you can play it trying to get a extra life and then say the next board is hard you can skip through it. Also it’s very random with the drops so don’t get discouraged if it seems like you’ve regressed you’re probably just not getting very lucky with the extra lives and exit capsules eventually everything will fall into place on one run.  I’m not sure about the pausing I know people have mentioned it before for certain games to me it seems like a lot of trouble for a slight edge but maybe i don’t fully understand it

For the pause buffering in Arkanoid, if you're doing it, you can pause the game and move the vaus controller and the vaus will INSTANTLY teleport to wherever you moved the position on the controller when you unpause. This takes some getting used to because you have to get the feel for where you are with various positions of the potentiometer, but you can theoretically just place yourself wherever you want at any given time, then unpause to catch the ball.

It's pretty busted IMO, but still not enough for me to beat that game I don't think, lol. Still have to time your pause/unpause right to even attempt it, and surely you don't want to do that for every shot so there's going to be mistakes where you don't think you need it and BAM the ball slips right by.

Ok I beat silkworm, I played as the jeep, it’s interesting the game says you have two continues and you do unless you reach the final boss then you only have your one attempt.  So if you reach the 8th level on your last life you’re better off dying and using a continue to start the level fresh with 3 lives and the chance to get extra lives at 50k and 200k since your score resets on the continue.  You can point rack on screen of the fake final boss to reach those numbers, you also get an extra life at 500k but you’d probably have to point rack for 30 minutes to get that high. Anyway point is with three or four lives you actually stand a chance on the final boss which is really the only difficult part of the game.

IMG_1194.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2

9 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Yea I’d work on the first 15 until you’re able to beat them without doing the level skip just for the practice and I can’t fully remember but I think you’re skipping levels one at a time so if it’s an easy one I’m pretty sure you can play it trying to get a extra life and then say the next board is hard you can skip through it. Also it’s very random with the drops so don’t get discouraged if it seems like you’ve regressed you’re probably just not getting very lucky with the extra lives and exit capsules eventually everything will fall into place on one run.  I’m not sure about the pausing I know people have mentioned it before for certain games to me it seems like a lot of trouble for a slight edge but maybe i don’t fully understand it

Yeah one level at a time. I already hate level 3 so I feel like I’m going to be skipping that one pretty consistently.

You are right though, I can’t skip too many so I can get as many lives as possible for the final stretch.

I'm currently wokring on Track & Field II and have at least made it to the 4th day out of 8. Unfortunately, I'm stuck right now at the horizontal bars and haven't yet figured out how to score highly on this game. Plus, this type of game is bad for your fingers. So I'll need to take a break for a few days every now and then. Not sure if I'm good enough to actually beat the whole game, but I'll keep trying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I'm currently wokring on Track & Field II and have at least made it to the 4th day out of 8. Unfortunately, I'm stuck right now at the horizontal bars and haven't yet figured out how to score highly on this game. Plus, this type of game is bad for your fingers. So I'll need to take a break for a few days every now and then. Not sure if I'm good enough to actually beat the whole game, but I'll keep trying.

I’m pretty sure there’s something you can do to remain on the bar and build your score I don’t remember exactly but there’s a way where you can just keep performing tricks without ending the run when you’re supposed to

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:22 AM, Khromak said:

7 days to get 7 games if we want to break the record for fastest to 650. Who's working on something that could be done in that time? Do we think we have any chance?

My list is looking pretty slim, I'm open to hearing about any game on the list that's not too tough or crazy long but I think that pretty much eliminates everything still left haha.

I'm considering trying Athena (long and difficult) or Gauntlet (difficult as hell) again, or possibly seeing if I can get the pitching trick to work in Bases Loaded, though I could also barely score a hit in the batting of that game, so I'm not likely to be winning any games there any time soon.

Wouldn't count on much in the way of completions from me, but I'll give those a shot throughout this week and see what I can come up with. I'll be out of town this upcoming weekend to see the solar eclipse, but will probably bring some kind of NES with me to attempt some games in my down time.

I'm still playing Dragon's Dogma 2 and FF7 Rebirth (which has an incredibly long platinum trophy grind). I could beat Gauntlet again without too much trouble, I think. Super Glove Ball is another one I might do again, it should only take maybe 2 hours having done it before twice. I could also try Kung Fu Heroes again, since you really just need one good run (which is 10-15 minutes).

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 644/677

It snuck up on me, but I just finished the 80 cases of Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?

I just got into the groove and zoned out while playing it by smoking cigars and watching 1990s Playmate profiles on shuffle in the background.

IMG_0066(1).jpg

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
got the name of the game wrong
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Since my fingers are still wrecked from Trakc & Field II I thought about maybe trying one of those turn-based strtegy games from Koei. Is one of these currently worked on? And would it be okay to chose a lower difficulty?

Well, there are two left. Genghis Khan is definitely harder, but RotTK2 is no slouch either. If you're serious, let me know since I'm going to start on one or the other next.

Edited by Daniel_Doyce

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

It snuck up on me, but I just finished the 80 cases of Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?

I just got into the groove and zoned out while playing it by smoking cigars and watching 1990s Playmate profiles on shuffle in the background.

IMG_0066(1).jpg

Yesterday I wondered why Carmen Sandiego was so hard, then I read the requirements.

So, eh, why does this one have to be 100%ed rather than just beaten by capturing Carmen? I’m not saying these goals have to be easy but that did sound a bit unnecessary.

(Full disclosure, I have never played this game.)

3 hours ago, RH said:

Yesterday I wondered why Carmen Sandiego was so hard, then I read the requirements.

So, eh, why does this one have to be 100%ed rather than just beaten by capturing Carmen? I’m not saying these goals have to be easy but that did sound a bit unnecessary.

(Full disclosure, I have never played this game.)

Carmen pops up about 50 cases in, after your last promotion. But you're prompted to keep solving cases until 80, when you are forced into retirement. Since that's in the manual too, it makes sense to be the winning condition. Plus you don't get the end screen until then.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Well, there are two left. Genghis Khan is definitely harder, but RotTK2 is no slouch either. If you're serious, let me know since I'm going to start on one or the other next.

I've started Genghis Khan with world conquest on the lowest difficulty.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 647/677

I've made it to the 8th day of Track & Field II and am stuck again on the horizontal bars. Maybe I'll have to do some research on how to stay on there longer and get a higher score, because this is the challenge that I've repeatedly failed on. But I might need a few more days of rest before I can try this again.

In Genghis Khan I've started World Conquest as the Japanese and so far managed to conquer 8 out of 27 countries. Both games will definitely take some more time, but I'm optimistic that I can beat them sooner or later.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:34 PM, Tablew/chairs said:

I’m pretty sure there’s something you can do to remain on the bar and build your score I don’t remember exactly but there’s a way where you can just keep performing tricks without ending the run when you’re supposed to

Did you perhaps remember how that trick worked? Because I've been trying this over and over, but I can't get any higher than 7.70. I even tried cheating during practice mode with turbo buttons, but even then I can't get any higher. So I'm wondering, what I'm doing wrong. It can't just be about pressing A really fast, because there seems ot me more to it. And when it wants to finish, it mostly shows "Finish", but sometimes it shortly flashes another move. However, getting the timing right to do several more moves at this point is borderline impossible. I couldn't find any useful tips on gamefaqs or strategywiki either.

Okay, I somehow did it. Track & Field II is done. The end of the horizontal bars is basically a slot machine. You have to keep mashing the A button while looking at the move list and hopefully not pressing B while "Finish" is displayed. The other moves, that you want to perform instead, just flash shortly. So I had to get into a rhythm to anticipate when they appear.

That being said, my favorite disciplines were archery and canoeing. Horizontal Bar and High Dive were the worst for me. The other discliplines were all fine. Overall, this game had pretty good variety and might be one of the better games of its kind. What disappointed me though is that you don't see a list of all the medals that you and your rivals have earned. Capcom Gold Medal Challenge had this and it was definitely a welcome addition.

TrackandFieldFinalDay.jpg.6910fd0e6ac0b403a824dabf45b88ca2.jpg

TrackandFieldEndScreen.jpg.7cda4ff67382000bbe8063dcc63d583e.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 648/677

Made it to the final boss in Starship Hector should have it beat soon hopefully. I've probably played this game for close to 20 hours overall so far. It took me FOREVER to clear the end of that 2nd level consistently.

• Wow! 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Made it to the final boss in Starship Hector should have it beat soon hopefully. I've probably played this game for close to 20 hours overall so far. It took me FOREVER to clear the end of that 2nd level consistently.

That's impressive. Played it for about 5 minutes once and it beat my ass hard.

• Like 2