IGNORED

Show off your vinyl record collection and setup!

Mae247

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Man, I thought I left the vinyl vs digital debate behind when the AV forum I was on imploded. 

*waiting for the Monster vs Blue Jeans cable debate to resurface*

I mean there really can't be any debate where there's no question - Blue Jeans is superior by far! Monster can try all the underhanded tricks they want, litigious as they are, there's no winning for them in the end.

I would argue that vinyl sounds worse than CD or digital, but that it can be more enjoyable because those scratches add feelings of nostalgia.  For me, it's similar to listening to sports games broadcast over AM.  Even though it doesn't sound better than FM, I still enjoy how it sounds and prefer listening to anything talk radio on AM over FM.

I have around 150 vinyl but don't really collect it anymore because the prices are absolutely crazy now and new stuff is really expensive. It was great to collect for when you could find great stuff for $5-15 (or even better, people would just give it to you for free), but now it's too expensive for me to justify.

I will buy some game vinyl every now and then, I especially like the Samus & Chill, Mario & Chill and Zelda & Chill remixes of classic songs. Otherwise, I just enjoy what I have, which covers most of the stuff I want to listen to on vinyl anyway.

In terms of sound, it really depends on which CD you're comparing it to and which masters the CD's and vinyl's used. Some engineers were lazy and you can hear the sound peak on the CD version vs the vinyl version. If you get deep into the Beatles library then you have the whole mono vs stereo debate (I'm team mono). On the other hand, some companies were cheap and made crappy vinyl and it sounds awful compared to a CD.

But if you have the exact same master of a CD and vinyl on the exact same setup with a good quality CD and vinyl, then I think most would struggle to hear any difference.

Since the OP was asking for examples of other member's setups, I'll post mine as well.

Obviously, I don't have much to show, so I'm going to include all physical audio that I own.  This is my setup which includes a basic record player, along with my working cassette deck and 300 disc CD changer.  My setup even includes an old Sony DM Port player that can play iPods.

My vinyl collection is small, but 100% music I enjoy.  My CD collection is primarily from my younger days when I was big into music.  While I prefer physical media in all forms (audio, movie, video games, etc.), I tend to use my physical audio the least mainly because I mostly listen to music in the car, and digital is just too convenient when I'm on the go. 

A7F0xq5.jpg

DVZMXns.jpg

A4NTB3m.jpg

kqwuVR8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I've always wanted to start collecting vinyl records, but it seems like most of my favorite music isn't available in the format.

That's probably for the best, though. I really don't need another collection to encroach on my limited space and budget haha.

[T-Pac]

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

it seems like most of my favorite music isn't available in the format.

what kind/era of music do you generally listen to? vinyl has seen an enormous resurgence in the last ~10 years and i would struggle to identify any genre that is sufficiently lacking in availability.

@TDIRunner cool pic with all of the cds. i only have a single drawer of them (mostly my collection of stuff i bought in my teenage years that i can't part with yet). Also, is that a box of 45s on the bottom shelf? i like the look of that box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

@TDIRunner cool pic with all of the cds. i only have a single drawer of them (mostly my collection of stuff i bought in my teenage years that i can't part with yet). Also, is that a box of 45s on the bottom shelf? i like the look of that box.

That is "The Aeroplane Flies High" box set by the Smashing Pumpkins.  It's a 5 CD box set.  

This link is just for example.  This is not my set for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325930416235?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=PMm34bCLRu2&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 12:18 PM, Gloves said:

I mean there really can't be any debate where there's no question - Blue Jeans is superior by far! Monster can try all the underhanded tricks they want, litigious as they are, there's no winning for them in the end.

You should have seen the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray arguments. It got so heated it actually resulted in that part of the forum getting shut down and even made a few news outlets. 

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You should have seen the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray arguments. It got so heated it actually resulted in that part of the forum getting shut down and even made a few news outlets. 

Lol buncha nerds.

33 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I remember that era, but I wasn't much of a forum guy at the time, so I was never part of any of those types of discussions.  However, I would be interested in reading some of them today because I never understood the HD-DVD vs Blue-Ray debates.  I always considered Blue-Ray as the obvious choice.  At least with the VHS vs Beta debates, I could understand some of the points on both sides of the argument.  But I could never find any reasons to back HD-DVD.  

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

But I could never find any reasons to back HD-DVD.  

There really wasn't. From a technical standpoint, Blu-ray was superior in many aspects, but that wasn't what won the format war. Sony, determined not to have another Betamax, rallied most of the studios around Blu-ray, and the PS3 was the cheapest player, which helped spread the appeal (similar to how the PS2 helped DVD.) HD-DVD had some support (most notably Paramount), but the tide turned against it. Weirdly, some of the best players for standard DVDs were HD-DVD players, and for a short time after the war ended they traded for way over their original MSRP by DVD enthusiasts. I tried for a long time to get an Onkyo HD-DVD player solely for DVD use, but they were going for stupid money and I eventually gave up.

Edited by Tulpa

I used to be a vinyl DJ for a few years, lots of fun. At one point I amassed several crates:  1 hip-hop, 1 dub reggae, 1 rock/funk, 1 electronic and small case of 45s.

Sadly the prices got out of hand and even the bargain bins began to be overpriced. I was always looking for something new.

Currently I have some video game soundtracks w/ Streets of Rage 1-2 (Data Discs) and Golden Axe (Data Discs) not pictured, with the rest of my collection in storage or given away.

I'll never forgot UnfortunateFace (Sean D) coming to NA to announce his Mega Man 2 record. He was so new, he wasn't sure about the fidelity of 8-bit soundtracks, so the tracks on that one are super short. Recently I saw his records ended up in a museum in Italy.

IMG_3403.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CT said:

I used to be a vinyl DJ for a few years, lots of fun. At one point I amassed several crates:  1 hip-hop, 1 dub reggae, 1 rock/funk, 1 electronic and small case of 45s.

Sadly the prices got out of hand and even the bargain bins began to be overpriced. I was always looking for something new.

Currently I have some video game soundtracks w/ Streets of Rage 1-2 (Data Discs) and Golden Axe (Data Discs) not pictured, with the rest of my collection in storage or given away.

I'll never forgot UnfortunateFace (Sean D) coming to NA to announce his Mega Man 2 record. He was so new, he wasn't sure about the fidelity of 8-bit soundtracks, so the tracks on that one are super short. Recently I saw his records ended up in a museum in Italy.

IMG_3403.jpg

I love the moonshake records. I have them all and went a little insane finding them all and buying them in like a 3-4 week span lol

40 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I love the moonshake records. I have them all and went a little insane finding them all and buying them in like a 3-4 week span lol

Oooh yeah I remember I almost sold you my Mega Man 2. I sold my Zelda one when I was strapped for cash.

Mega Man 2 is numbered out of 250 and came out in 2014, the first Moonshake release.

Castlevania is numbered out of 666

Zelda is numbered out of 500

What a great feat to get all those plus the 10 or so other releases by Moonshake. My buddy has the Dr. Mario 7-Inch which is super cool.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/19/2024 at 8:36 AM, twiztor said:

what kind/era of music do you generally listen to? vinyl has seen an enormous resurgence in the last ~10 years and i would struggle to identify any genre that is sufficiently lacking in availability.

Modern deathcore, mostly. Dealer, thrown, Godhand, Hazing Over, Tactosa, etc... 

But now that I'm looking into it - you're right! Some of that stuff is available on vinyl after all.

I still want to resist the temptation for now, though. (Plus my neighbors would definitely hate me if I started spinning all that screaming and white-noise guitar feedback in my thin-walled apartment complex haha).

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

my record player is made by Crosley. i picked it up at Target ~10 years ago because it had the look of a vintage radio, and i really liked the aesthetic. it puts out surprisingly good sound for its price point, so i've been exceedingly happy with it. has gotten tons of use over the years.

my record collection sits right about the 500 mark. the top tier stuff resides on the record player shelf. this can be either high dollar stuff or just personal favorites. i constructed the shelf a number of years ago. i found plans online and built it out of a single sheet (8'x4') of plywood. that shelf is solid and obviously is doing its job of supporting all that weight.

my sweet spot for vinyl records is classic rock, so that is the huge bulk of my collection. anything from the 60s to the 80s is fair game, although i think a few 90s releases have snuck in. i never buy nee records, only pick up used- i'm less concerned about crystal clear sound (i always have digital for that!) than i am an aythentic experience. obviously condition matters too, but i'm not overly picky.

a point of pride is that i inherited all of my mom's records, and all those from both of her siblings. it helps that they all have a good taste in music, but it just adds that sentimental value. i recently picked up a part time job at the local record store specifically to fill in some of the gaps inbetween. i pick up a new record each week. it has been awesome so far.

20240121_154501.jpg

20240121_154356.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:48 PM, Tulpa said:

There really wasn't. From a technical standpoint, Blu-ray was superior in many aspects, but that wasn't what won the format war. Sony, determined not to have another Betamax, rallied most of the studios around Blu-ray, and the PS3 was the cheapest player, which helped spread the appeal (similar to how the PS2 helped DVD.) HD-DVD had some support (most notably Paramount), but the tide turned against it. Weirdly, some of the best players for standard DVDs were HD-DVD players, and for a short time after the war ended they traded for way over their original MSRP by DVD enthusiasts. I tried for a long time to get an Onkyo HD-DVD player solely for DVD use, but they were going for stupid money and I eventually gave up.

Oh I distinctively remember one day going into a best buy and seeing both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player side by side for $1000(!!) each!!  Is that how much DVD players started being back in the late 90s?  Fun Fact: The first DVD I ever watched (on my then new PS2; I think it was 2001) was Thirteen Days.  And the first ever DVD I ever watched with me and my (then future) wife was Outbreak.

9 hours ago, Estil said:

Fun Fact: The first DVD I ever watched (on my then new PS2; I think it was 2001) was Thirteen Days.  And the first ever DVD I ever watched with me and my (then future) wife was Outbreak.

The first DVD I ever watched was Ronin with Robert De Niro.  I remember being obsessed with the new features available with the format like the director commentary.  But of course, the biggest thing for me was the fact that I didn't have to rewind it when it was over.  

On 1/30/2024 at 3:11 PM, MegaMan52 said:

image.jpeg.399ae7a78535107c7e90bffc1faf37e1.jpeg

Newer player and setup. Speakers underneath.

image.jpeg.49409128de484fc238621f767dff5c62.jpeg

Some of my video game related vinyls.

image.jpeg.5d3fe13a843e2e9e31f96dbc7ca37974.jpeg

My older Record Player given to me in the '90s. It still works.

image.jpeg.3fd6a185e22b871ee60ca78a989582b8.jpeg

A box containing some of the records I've had for decades.

Always nice when you hold on to your originals

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:26 PM, Estil said:

Oh I distinctively remember one day going into a best buy and seeing both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player side by side for $1000(!!) each!!  Is that how much DVD players started being back in the late 90s?  

Sorry, missed this. 

Yes, DVD players were also around a grand or more when they first hit the scene. So were the very first VCRs and CD players. They were new tech and no one knew if they'd take off. 

That's one of the reasons the PS2 and PS3 were popular. They could play movies and games, and were cheaper than standalone players. Consoles had the advantage that they knew people would buy them for the games, whereas movie only players were a bit more of a risk.