IGNORED

Show off your vinyl record collection and setup!

Mae247

Just got into it about 2 weeks ago.

Will update with pics soon but I have paried it with a nice new pair of klipsch cornwall IV speakers!

Player is a Dual cs 429. Went with automatic until I get used to paying records for the moment.

Went with a NAD C 389 with BluOS-d as the integrated amp sue to its simplicity and options to be future proof.

Current Vinyl list

AC/DC - Back In Black

AC/DC - Highway To Hell

AC/DC - The Razors Edge

BeeGees - Timeless Greatest Hits

Creedence - Clearwater Revival Chronicle Greatest Hits

Hall & Oats - Rock 'N Soul Part 1

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Eagles - Greatest Hits Volumes 1&2

Eric Clapton - Clapton Chronicles

Foreigner - 40

Frank Sinatra - Ultimate Sinatra

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Distruction

Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View

Johnny Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash

Kid Rock - Greatest Hits: You Never Saw Coming

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helpgin

Poison - Open Up And Say...Ahh!

Prince - Purple Rain

Queen - Greatest Hits

REO Speedwagon - The Hits

Various - Winter Wonderland

Looking for some Pantera and some other metal to add but this is what I am getting into at the moment!

What does every one elses setup look like?

Edited by Mae247
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to Show off your vinyl record collection and setup!
Moderator · Posted

I have an Audio Technica LP140XP and some simple powered speakers. Have about 2-3x as many records as this pic, heavy on the country (old outlaw and new non-radio variety) and Americana side of things with a bunch of classic rock albums handed down from my parents. This pic shows me spinning my favorite band of all time, Lucero. 

IMG_1283.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, doner24 said:

I have an Audio Technica LP140XP and some simple powered speakers. Have about 2-3x as many records as this pic, heavy on the country (old outlaw and new non-radio variety) and Americana side of things with a bunch of classic rock albums handed down from my parents. This pic shows me spinning my favorite band of all time, Lucero. 

IMG_1283.png

What are some of your favorite country you have come across?

Not really into collecting vinyls, but I picked up a bunch back around 20 years ago when I thought it would be fun to get a record player. During the time I lived in Copenhagen I'd usually spend some occasional time in used record stores when I happened to pass by one to see what interesting stuff I could find. 

Got myself a ton of synthpop and new wave stuff, as well as whatever old post-punk, EBM and industrial I would come across, as well as a bit of old school techno. All that probably still makes up the bulk of my collection. Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Joy Division, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Bauhaus and a bunch of much more obscure stuff.

At the time most records could be had for $3-8 so it was pretty carefree and inexpensive. I've bought a few more old records recently, but it's quite rare due to how much harder and more expensive it's become to find something you want in even a decent shape. 

Since then I've gone online to close out my David Bowie collection (most albums up until the 90s as well as his last two which were also available on vinyl) as well as all the Talking Heads albums. I've also joined the bandwagon for some of the video game soundtracks that have released in recent years, but kept them to a minimum because that becomes expensive fast - joined by the occasional brand new release from bands I want to support, local or international. 🙂

Will spruce up with pictures later, eventually... 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Not really into collecting vinyls, but I picked up a bunch back around 20 years ago when I thought it would be fun to get a record player. During the time I lived in Copenhagen I'd usually spend some occasional time in used record stores when I happened to pass by one to see what interesting stuff I could find. 

Got myself a ton of synthpop and new wave stuff, as well as whatever old post-punk, EBM and industrial I would come across, as well as a bit of old school techno. All that probably still makes up the bulk of my collection. Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Joy Division, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Bauhaus and a bunch of much more obscure stuff.

At the time most records could be had for $3-8 so it was pretty carefree and inexpensive. I've bought a few more old records recently, but it's quite rare due to how much harder and more expensive it's become to find something you want in even a decent shape. 

Since then I've gone online to close out my David Bowie collection (most albums up until the 90s as well as his last two which were also available on vinyl) as well as all the Talking Heads albums. I've also joined the bandwagon for some of the video game soundtracks that have released in recent years, but kept them to a minimum because that becomes expensive fast - joined by the occasional brand new release from bands I want to support, local or international. 🙂

Will spruce up with pictures later, eventually... 

Can't wait!

Here's one thing I always wondered, you know how with baseball cards a big deal is made about the player's "rookie card"?  Well how come an artist's "rookie album" isn't seen in that way?  I'm not saying it has to be worth more than the others necessarily but how come it doesn't have nearly as much interest?  Here is ABBA's rookie album for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Ring_(album)

I also liked being able one Christmas to give my wife all the Carrie Underwood (her favorite) albums (CDs) released up to that time!  I don't suppose any of you here to try catch 'em all (all the albums your favorite artist(s) ever released, at least the vinyl record ones)?

And apparently (start at 16:00) back in 1991 there were people who didn't know what a record player was? 😄 

Edited by Estil

Moderator · Posted
17 hours ago, Mae247 said:

What are some of your favorite country you have come across?

For older stuff, big fan of Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Townes Van Zandt, John Anderson, Johnny Paycheck, and Willie Nelson. For newer stuff people like Tyler Childers, Arlo McKinley, Sturgill Simpson, 49 Winchester, Reckless Kelly and Turnpike Troubadours. 

I don't collect vinyl records, but I did once find something similar. While visiting family I encountered a small vintage goods store and they had a CED Player and a stack of 19 discs for sale. These are supposed to work with a needle and grooves similar to a vinyl record, but they play movies instead

Here's the wikipedia page for them if you want to read more

I sadly never figured out how to make it work

CED.jpg.f93eb8b1f9e78a38660fa91eb410422f.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/25/2023 at 6:28 PM, Estil said:

Here's one thing I always wondered, you know how with baseball cards a big deal is made about the player's "rookie card"?  Well how come an artist's "rookie album" isn't seen in that way?  I'm not saying it has to be worth more than the others necessarily but how come it doesn't have nearly as much interest?  Here is ABBA's rookie album for example:

I have no idea what a baseball "rookie card" is, and how you'd expect that to be a more relatable comparison than music albums? 🤣

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you're assuming that early and less succesful releases by a popular artist aren't coveted and valuable? Because in that case you couldn't be anymore wrong.
If an album was released before the artist made it big, it was posibly on a more obscure label, possibly limited to specific regions, and very likely in a much smaller print than their later popular releases. This would make that release a massive collector's item, and no doubt harder and more expensive to track down than anything else they've released.

Of course, for mainstream music especially, said album would likely have been reprinted multiple times since, specifically due to the curiosity it is, and thus not really hard to dig up if you don't care which version you're getting. But the original print is likely still very highly valued. Same goes for an artist's breakthrough album if they took a while to make it big, and that album didn't get a very big print at first, even though in this case it might actually be a very good and popular album. The first print could be extremely valuable.

Singles and EPs are of course more likely to become collector's pieces due to them not being printed to as high expectations as albums, and are much less likely to receive reprints.

For an example of one of the most popular music artists of all time, take Bowie's first album under his own name. Generally considered a bit of an artistic mistake, and not very popular. It's pretty silly overall, and by many not even considered a part of his official discography. It has been reprinted so many times, you can pick up a copy for $5 on Discogs. Looking for an original 1967 print? You gotta pay a whole damn lot more: https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=50884&ev=mb&year=1967

As for ABBA, that group was pretty much constructed at their inception to be a massively popular mainstream supergroup, so they never really had much of a slow start. That's probably why Ring Ring is pretty easy to dig up, even for the original prints.

Edited by Sumez

On 12/27/2023 at 4:05 AM, Sumez said:

This might blow your mind, Estil... but a vast majority of people don't actually collect baseball cards. And, get this, a majority of people have probably never seen one either.

Vinyl records, even being sort of a niche thing today, exist in much more people's house 🤣

Well surely most have at least heard of baseball cards and rookie cards?  I guess the (early 90s) really are over!

PS: @Tulpa If I am indeed the only/resident baseball card collector (I have over 100,000 in my collection as complete sets; no fooling) feel free to be like Tim here and nickname me "Honus" 😄 

Edited by Estil

Gotta have baseball cards just to put in your bike spokes! Anyway, to answer Estil's question, rookie cards are more valuable because they're dated (reprints usually have little or no value) and have that before-they-were-famous cachet, much like first editions of famous books. First prints of albums can be more valuable than reissues but are not readily apparent unless the art or copyright differs somehow.

Back on topic, here's my vinyl setup(s). This is the main one: a Technics SL-1500 and a Pioneer VSX-09tx receiver pushing 2 pairs of original Large Advents. Speakers not shown as they're off to the side.  The turntable, one of the Advents pairs and a still-working but currrently unconnected Marantz 1060 amp were my first real Hi-Fi stuff bought in college in 1975 or 76.  They've served me faithfully for nearly 50 years.

technics1.jpg.4ce722c30cc9391730d1a0bb920b4dae.jpg

Next up is the secondary setup in my gaming room. This one has a Revox B-790 linear tracking turntable and, up til a week ago, a vintage Pioneer SX-616 receiver, but that blew a fuse so I'm currently using a cheaper Radio Shack unit.  I'm just using some in-wall speakers that came with the house to save space.

revox.jpg.3b06ae758db4a6eb2a8e64604eb57e81.jpg

Finally, about 1/3 of my remaining record collection-the rest are still packed.  I gave away over 500 records to lighten the load when I moved and mostly only kept specialty albums from the days before CDs took over: direct-to-disc, half-speed mastered, dbx encoded, etc, as well as a few with nostalgic value.  Genre-wise, it's heavy on jazz.

records.jpg.97e0ea0856eb5a528060d3801bbd32bf.jpg

Edited by nrslam
pictures added
  • Love 2

I wanna share but all my stuff isn't setup right now from moving.. and half of the gear is working the rest projects but here's some pictures

spacer.png

I love going to see bands and buying a record at the merch table so I have a lot of memories tied into these, as well as a good amount of thrifted vintage stuff.

spacer.png

Turntables: Toshiba SR-F451 (main), Technics SL-D1 (need new headshell, cartridge/stylus but in box!), Rega planar (1 I think) needs new motor likely

Receivers: pioneer sx 434 (needs to be serviced but my favorite), pioneer sx 680 (on loan from my dad), denon avr-4311ci

Speakers: baby advents that were refoamed and capped, foam came loose (lol) waiting for repair they sounded great. Some polk audio and acoustic research bookshelf, couple Bose models.

Need to up my speaker game but I have found most my gear at thrift stores over the years.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, drxandy said:

I wanna share but all my stuff isn't setup right now from moving.. and half of the gear is working the rest projects but here's some pictures

spacer.png

I love going to see bands and buying a record at the merch table so I have a lot of memories tied into these, as well as a good amount of thrifted vintage stuff.

spacer.png

Turntables: Toshiba SR-F451 (main), Technics SL-D1 (need new headshell, cartridge/stylus but in box!), Rega planar (1 I think) needs new motor likely

Receivers: pioneer sx 434 (needs to be serviced but my favorite), pioneer sx 680 (on loan from my dad), denon avr-4311ci

Speakers: baby advents that were refoamed and capped, foam came loose (lol) waiting for repair they sounded great. Some polk audio and acoustic research bookshelf, couple Bose models.

Need to up my speaker game but I have found most my gear at thrift stores over the years.

Pioneer gang 💪

I got the SX 780 years ago and never let go. I actually saw one in somebody's garage this summer just hooked up as an extra but they wouldn't give me a price on it.

Screenshot_20231229-074346.png.18b885602cbf34d50556ef46417fdd97.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

My collecting is off and on.  Sometimes I try to hunt down stuff. Sometimes I don’t.  I actually had the wooden thing custom made in Amish country for my records. But like a jackass, the sides overhang, so you can’t really pull out records on the ends without having to rearrange stuff first.

IMG_2812.jpeg

• Like 3

No that's nonsense. What people might be referring to is the sound of dust and scratches on the record which might evoke a nostalgic feeling to them? I just love the format, there's no objective advantage to the actual storage method it uses.

• Like 1

I only do so for the sake of having it in different formats.

Maybe an "audiophile" can "say" there is a difference but the real honest difference to me is that vinyl will give you the sound of how it was truly recorded to sound like from the recording studio while other forms will have the sound "cleaned up" and it will not sound "flat" for a lack of better terms.

I have AC/DC on vinly and it will sound different than streaming for instance but it is not  a bad or good thing to be honest. 

It really comes down to prefrence.

Kind of like the debate of why would we collect physical copies of retro games when we can just emulate type of argument. 🫠🫥🙃🫣🫡

i have about 500 records, almost exclusively '70s and '80s classic rock. will post pics sooner or later. 

11 hours ago, Estil said:

Does music on records really sound distinctively "warmer" than on CDs?  That's what I often hear.

my father in law, a big music fan, would constantly try to knock my preference of digital music. He swore, time and time again, that vinyl records produced a "warmer" sound, and that if you looked at the wavelengths, vinyl records would output a broader range. to that effect, he shared an article he found online that PROVED his point. The article started out saying how nostalgic that vinyl records were for the writer, and that he preferred them and wanted to find evidence to back up his opinions. i read the whole thing. it was well-researched and well-written. The writer's final conclusion is that digital music put out a FAR wider range of wavelengths and depths than anything that could be produced by scratching a needle over a slab of vinyl. so much so that there's a huge chunk that can't even be registered by the human ear. 😂 obviously my FIL didn't read the entire thing.

• Haha 1