IGNORED

Highest Death Count?

Inspired by a fellow VGS member who noted their death count on Celeste was just under 6500... I was wondering what game have you played with the highest death count?

For me, that would probably be Dark Souls II. I know my death count got up into the hundreds. I think overall I was probably around 300 or so deaths, although for what it's worth that includes all the DLC 🙂

I have no clue but as one who refuses to stop playing games he loves but sucks at, back in college on Counter-Strike my user ID was DeathCount++.  It wasn't suppose to be ironic.  I played that game a lot and even though I was on winning teams often enough, I pretty much died every game.

8 hours ago, Rhuno said:

Not something I've paid much attention to, but probably Battletoads on nes. We're 30 years in and I've yet to beat that game.

Indeed, many of those older games never kept tally of how many times you died. Then there's this (from 2014) --

Screenshot-from-2023-11-10-16-29-53.png

https://venturebeat.com/games/42-dark-souls-ii-players-die-every-second-and-nine-other-chilling-stats/

Again, it's when DSII was at it's height, but they also report that some 52 million North American players fell to their deaths... someone is keeping track 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ankos said:

Over 2800 in Spelunky HD. Would be about the same in Spelunky 2 if it counted resets as deaths (which it should, but the stats screen says otherwise)

Spelunky Stats.png

How do you get killed by a shopkeeper?  I don't play modern games, but I feel like any individual in a story who can be killed by a rando shopkeeper isn't really meant to be the hero anyway...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

How do you get killed by a shopkeeper?  I don't play modern games, but I feel like any individual in a story who can be killed by a rando shopkeeper isn't really meant to be the hero anyway...

You try to rob them and they shoot you with a gun. They have tons of hp and wait at the end of every level after you've killed one, sometimes ignore hitstun/knockback (and even if you do stun them they get up really fast), jump really high, and send you flying if they touch you. On the bright side if you win the fight you get the gun

13 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Getting killed by shopkeepers is a longstanding tradition in video games. It was happening at least as far back as Link's Awakening (and probably a good deal before that)

Hmmm... I played through Link's Awakening like 30 years ago and I don't remember ever getting killed by a shopkeeper, though I didn't try to steal anything either.  Fuzzy memories, but I may not have even known that trying to steal items was an option for the player...

16 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Hmmm... I played through Link's Awakening like 30 years ago and I don't remember ever getting killed by a shopkeeper, though I didn't try to steal anything either.  Fuzzy memories, but I may not have even known that trying to steal items was an option for the player...

Did you ever play Skyrim? That game took stealing to new and... uh, interesting heights 🙂

1e989717a1e2e26f3231c96f6283c54f.jpg