IGNORED

How long does it take to realize a movie is bad?

phart010

24 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's the Olympics, international competition.  I'm talking about American sports.

*American 100 meter dash runners glare at Estil*

(There's plenty of American track and field events that use the metric system. It's not just the Olympics.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Estil said:

Because it would screw up our sports measurements.  100 yards between goal lines in football, baseball having bases 90 feet apart, basketball having ten foot rims and 15 foot foul lines, and so on.

Sports could still use those measurements but the rest of the country adopt metric measurements. I can still watch an NFL game even though my country is full metric and understand what is going on.

Your country is already using it in science, engineering and medicine. It is probably just a money thing why it hasn't fully transitioned. 

15 hours ago, Estil said:

Because it would screw up our sports measurements.

No it wouldn't; you just keep using imperial for sports; no need to change it; it's not like it would suddenly become illegal.  We (Canada) went metric in the 70's, but we still use feet/yards for measurements in football, hockey, baseball etc...

• Agree 2

Moving to Taiwan, I had to switch units to metric. Since we used meters in track and running sports, distance is easy. We use liters for soda, again easy. Grams was never an issue either.

The hardest bits are speed and temperature. I just learned the systems independently, I don't need to know that 26C is almost 79F, rather I just know what a 26 feels like compared to a 35 or a 16 and I'm good. No need to switch between them.

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No it wouldn't; you just keep using imperial for sports; no need to change it; it's not like it would suddenly become illegal.  We (Canada) went metric in the 70's, but we still use feet/yards for measurements in football, hockey, baseball etc...

Plus, Americans use the metric system in tons of things. Soda bottles, firearms, nutrition info. We could change over without too much fuss, we just ... don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Moving to Taiwan, I had to switch units to metric. Since we used meters in track and running sports, distance is easy. We use liters for soda, again easy. Grams was never an issue either.

The hardest bits are speed and temperature. I just learned the systems independently, I don't need to know that 26C is almost 79F, rather I just know what a 26 feels like compared to a 35 or a 16 and I'm good. No need to switch between them.

Almost the same for me (converting to metric, not moving to Taiwan).  I was a long distance runner for many years, so distance is easy for me.  Same with volume due to drinks and automobile engines.  However, for me, speed has never been a problem since I watch a lot of European auto racing.  For me, the two that I struggle with are weight and temperature.  I understand how to do the math to convert, but since I don't use Celsius or grams in my every day life, I don't have a good basis for comparison to use off the top of my head.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Plus, Americans use the metric system in tons of things. Soda bottles, firearms, nutrition info. We could change over without too much fuss, we just ... don't.

Correct.  I've never understood the misconception that Americans don't know how to use the metric system.  The vast majority understand it just fine.  It's just a matter of how much they use it in their every day lives.  Most, including myself, would have no issue switching over.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Tool makers love it. They get to sell double the amount of wrenches, drill bits, etc because we need to buy a metric set and an imperial set

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Tool makers love it. They get to sell double the amount of wrenches, drill bits, etc because we need to buy a metric set and an imperial set

And such a pain in the ass when you can’t remember the size of something you only work on a couple times a year. 

10 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Correct.  I've never understood the misconception that Americans don't know how to use the metric system.  The vast majority understand it just fine.  It's just a matter of how much they use it in their every day lives.  Most, including myself, would have no issue switching over.  

Knowing the metric system and going all-in on the metric system are two very different things.