IGNORED

How long does it take to realize a movie is bad?

phart010

Just now, JamesRobot said:

GB7ee-SiiZ_u65IDk7aDxILLOO4=.gif

Completely different but if we lived in the same world as the Simpsons and had a total of 8 fingers and 16 total digits, it would have probably revolutionized how fast we learned mathematics and discovered properties of mathematics.

Base 10 is wonky.  We're just use to it after tens of thousands of years of counting on our fingers and toes.

• Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Because that's the thing about bear attacks, they come when you least expect it.

image.png.5605410218ec39accdb731c1aa1c7f2c.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Speaking of...

I did actually go to Charlie's Angels with some lady friends, and if I was with anyone else I would have walked out.

And I walked out on my playthrough of Final Fantasy X-2.

Ghostbusters '16 is like a hundred times better than either of those 😆

No no no no no no, I mean the show Charlie's Angels.  That "movie" (isn't that the one with those annoying freezes/pauses in the middle of their moves or whatever it's called) and that God awful Dukes of Hazzard movie (that airhead blonde bimbo could never "shoot like Annie Oakley" or "drive like Richard Petty" or reassemble a carburetor in pitch black darkness like the real Daisy can!) are nowhere near worthy of their names.  And speaking of which in that terrible Lone Ranger movie, why did they make his trusty sidekick Tonto look like a freak???

2 hours ago, RH said:

Completely different but if we lived in the same world as the Simpsons and had a total of 8 fingers and 16 total digits, it would have probably revolutionized how fast we learned mathematics and discovered properties of mathematics.

Base 10 is wonky.  We're just use to it after tens of thousands of years of counting on our fingers and toes.

Better than those 60s math books with all that Base 6 and Base 12 crap in them! 😄 

Administrator · Posted
15 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And I walked out on my playthrough of Final Fantasy X-2.

I literally got to basically the end of the game, died for the first time in my entire playthrough, and it set me back juuuuust far enough that I went "this isn't worth any more of my time" and stopped playing. Never did end up finishing it.

1 hour ago, Link said:

How so?

There are multiple reasons but one specific reason is the smaller the base system the better for mental processing. Base-8, specifically, works better with geometry and other branches of mathematics because you can keep dividing it in half until you get to the unit value of 1.

In our math system 10 / 2 = 5, which is a prime number.  This is less intuitive that having a number system based off of doubling from 1, where the progression of 2^n would also like 2,4,10,20,40,100,etc. rather than 2,4,6,16,32,64, etc. 

Our brains work off of patterns and the ones that are more easily recognized and processed are the ones with a system that works well with halving to one.

Some would argue that the best system is base-2 (binary) but then you end up with, you know, numbers that look like 1001110101101011010111.  That's obviously tedious to deal with and it results in long strings of digits that quickly become impossible to remember. 

Base-4 is better for compactness and Base-16 might even be a sweet spot if that was what we landed on a as a universal math system but realistically, base-8 would have mostly likely been the historical alternative.

Now, if you really want to blow your brain, read up on "Balanced Ternary Mathematics".  It's beautiful and computationally one of the best systems for making more efficient transistors packed onto IC dies.  If our computers were ternary, rather than binary, based we could see a significant increase in logical operations per transistor but since binary-logic was long established before anyone even considered balance ternary computers, it's never taken off (even though some have tried.)

If ternary computers ever do become a real thing, they will likely have uses in artificial intelligence as that is a field that would benefit the most from having tri-states of bits.  Fans of the ternary system still have minimal hope that one day, some IC company will make a true ternary chip.  We'll see.

Editorials Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I literally got to basically the end of the game, died for the first time in my entire playthrough, and it set me back juuuuust far enough that I went "this isn't worth any more of my time" and stopped playing. Never did end up finishing it.

I want to finish it someday because I want to finish all FF games.  But the entire time I'm like "why do I care about any of these people or what they are doing?"

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

Base-4 is better for compactness and Base-16 might even be a sweet spot if that was what we landed on a as a universal math system but realistically, base-8 would have mostly likely been the historical alternative.

Yeah I think 8 would be best. 4 is not enough. I feel like most quotidian numbers would have too many digits. And the average person has enough problems with math as it is; maybe we could adapt to base 16 if we had millenia of using it but I feel like it would be too unwieldy. I can calculate a lot in my head but 1-F would be a lot harder. 

Fractions and doubling make some sense… it’s how we ended up with imperial measurements. But second-level math (multiplying/dividing) works a lot better with decimal points. I guess there’s no reason we couldn’t use… octomal points. ⅛ = 0.1, haha. 

Would we have octades instead of decades? and I guess 6410 =1008, but 100 is a nice figure in base 10; does it work that way in others? It feels like it wouldn’t because it’s 10x10. What number would be the equivalent of a century in a society built on base 8? 

5 hours ago, RH said:

Now, if you really want to blow your brain, read up on "Balanced Ternary Mathematics".

Um. Yes. Kind of hard to do that with lights that are on or off as electronic computers first started, but that is very interesting. Of course Russia did something that was cheaper and more efficient yet never took hold. 

2 hours ago, Link said:

Um. Yes. Kind of hard to do that with lights that are on or off as electronic computers first started, but that is very interesting. Of course Russia did something that was cheaper and more efficient yet never took hold. 

Nah, that’s not the problem.  The problem was that we had built, globally mind you, a system of logical gate operation built on top of the binary system.  However, when the mathematicians started to think about other ways of applying math-logic through transistor gates, we simply had too many knowledge built into binary computer systems.  Even by the 50’s we were too far down the binary path and that was a global thing.

Ternary, however, simplifies the logical gate requirements for storing data and applying Mathematic operations to the data.  Subtraction, for instance, is just a matter of toggling all of the trits in one value and then adding them.  Subtraction in binary, especially with negatives is more complex than that.

It’s been several years since I dove into the deep end of ternary but once you start to get it, you realize that Donald Knuth was right that it’s one of the most elegant systems for computers.

20 minutes ago, RH said:

Subtraction, for instance, is just a matter of toggling all of the trits in one value and then adding them.  Subtraction in binary, especially with negatives is more complex than that.

I understand this. But when you are building a communication and entire technology, before even the concept of “operating system”, on an array of light bulbs which can only be one of two states (ON-OFF), it makes sense why binary became the dominant base for computing. Yes, it’s a little silly and sad that we can’t move past that foundation 75 years later, much like America won’t use the metric system 50 years after the first efforts to that end.

9 hours ago, Link said:

...much like America won’t use the metric system 50 years after the first efforts to that end.

Because it would screw up our sports measurements.  100 yards between goal lines in football, baseball having bases 90 feet apart, basketball having ten foot rims and 15 foot foul lines, and so on.

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Because it would screw up our sports measurements.  100 yards between goal lines in football, baseball having bases 90 feet apart, basketball having ten foot rims and 15 foot foul lines, and so on.

*100 meter dash runners glare at Estil*