IGNORED

Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

353648843_10228242849349727_5958098216896670628_n.jpg

You know, I don't know if this is something that's changed in the last 10-15 years, or if I simply never noticed before that, but I did pick up about 10 years ago that it seems all food products and medicines have expiration dates on them, regardless of what they are.  Granted, most items within that category do, in fact, have some shelf life, but something like salt wouldn't or any other simple product made of basic, mineral ingredience.

This leads me to assume that, at least in the US, all manufacturers of food or drug-related items must now put an expiration date on all of there products.  This means that stuff that can last a long time, now "expires" in 2 years.  Why 2 years--because since I noticed the expiration dates, generally, I've never seen anything longer than 2 years.  I think that must be a maximum threshold, even if it's arbitrary by the food industry.

22 minutes ago, RH said:

You know, I don't know if this is something that's changed in the last 10-15 years, or if I simply never noticed before that, but I did pick up about 10 years ago that it seems all food products and medicines have expiration dates on them, regardless of what they are.  Granted, most items within that category do, in fact, have some shelf life, but something like salt wouldn't or any other simple product made of basic, mineral ingredience.

This leads me to assume that, at least in the US, all manufacturers of food or drug-related items must now put an expiration date on all of there products.  This means that stuff that can last a long time, now "expires" in 2 years.  Why 2 years--because since I noticed the expiration dates, generally, I've never seen anything longer than 2 years.  I think that must be a maximum threshold, even if it's arbitrary by the food industry.

Dried meals for emergency shelters advertise 25 year shelf life, so while you're probably right about arbitrary dates, it's probably more than 2 years. 

7 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Dried meals for emergency shelters advertise 25 year shelf life, so while you're probably right about arbitrary dates, it's probably more than 2 years. 

That is a good point, but if it's not arbitrary, there might be special exceptions.  Especially for food that's engineered to have an extra-long shelf life.  However, if there are mandated cut offs, it wouldn't surprise me either if, say, 25 years is the max.  

I have no clue if that's accurate.  I'm just piecing together what I've noticed.  Everything has an expiration date, even the many foods that have no reason to have an expiration date... like salt.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, RH said:

I have no clue if that's accurate.  I'm just piecing together what I've noticed.  Everything has an expiration date, even the many foods that have no reason to have an expiration date... like salt.

Some of it has to do with the containers. Like bottled water. Water doesn't actually have an expiration date (it's water!), but the plastic bottles break down over time and leach into the water. Someone, probably the FDA, determined how much can leach into the water before it starts to affect health, hence the expiration.

Other dates are usually sell-by dates, and are more to rotate product than anything else.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Reminds me of an episode of Happy Days when Howard and Marion ate cookies out of a cookie jar that belonged to Fonzie. Turned out they were cookies his mom baked him as a kid before she left and were like 20 years old. They finally confessed to him and he said, "They must have been terrible! They were terrible then!"