IGNORED

Post your internet 2005 vibes here

BlackVega

20 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The same thing happened to me too. Weird.

I think maybe that was the year I spent Sand-Surfing on Mars.  Come to think of it there was this other guy Sand-Surfing there too.  Maybe that was you?

Actually, 2005 probably fits into a time period in which I did not watch TV, go to movies, listen to radio, read anything new, play video games or basically consume any kind of media whatsoever.  That might have something to do with it.  Yeah, now I remember; I gave all that stuff up so I could go to Mars and Sand-Surf...

On 10/22/2023 at 12:31 AM, guillavoie said:

I have never seen this one, but these guys match the perfect obnoxiousness of long-form game advertising of the 90s.  I have mad respect for this.  They watched waaaay to many commercials to nail the whole video down to head turns and really stupid, small, leading comments.

Man, the things we'd make in our early 20s when we had time.  I bet these guys are Dad's now.  Probably showing their kids the awesomeness of Mario 64,

WAs that like Mediwar.com?!  (https://web.archive.org/web/20230326111319/http://mediwar.com/)

The sad, but amusing, thing about Mediwar.com is that the page is still there.  It's not been functional for 7 years, and the application hasn't been updated in probably15  years.

Somewhere out there, a useless old server, capable of running Classic ASP, and maybe running on Windows 2000, is still hosting this site!  My only guess is that this was a server or something made by a college student at a university, it got virtualized and it still runs to this day.

I really enjoyed messing around with that game, but it boggles my mind the final switch hasn't been turned off on that thing, or if it has, it's taken until 2023 for that to happen.

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, RH said:

WAs that like Mediwar.com?!  (https://web.archive.org/web/20230326111319/http://mediwar.com/)

The sad, but amusing, thing about Mediwar.com is that the page is still there.  It's not been functional for 7 years, and the application hasn't been updated in probably15  years.

Somewhere out there, a useless old server, capable of running Classic ASP, and maybe running on Windows 2000, is still hosting this site!  My only guess is that this was a server or something made by a college student at a university, it got virtualized and it still runs to this day.

I really enjoyed messing around with that game, but it boggles my mind the final switch hasn't been turned off on that thing, or if it has, it's taken until 2023 for that to happen.

Very very similar. There was a bit of a renaissance around these types of games in that era, I recall a few military (especially WWII) themed ones.

Similarly, I'll never cease to be amazed that the MUD I used to play is still up and active: Materia Magica - Old-School Text-Based Adventure

It looks like they've updated their site recently, in fact a few things look to be still in development (lol placeholder images).

On 10/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, Gloves said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS GAME FOR YEARS! THANK YOU, ALL CAPS! 

I was way into it back in like 2006 - 2007ish.  Fond memories of drunkenly pumping hours into a clicker and chatting in the …dragon somethingorother…force?… clan forum.  

On 10/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, OptOut said:

Yeah, I know I'm spamming this thread, but this is literally MY era of internet content.

I am gonna just keep posting all the things I like here, hopefully other people like it too!

This is OK. Anyone can shitpost here with a style just like it was back then. Essentially this thread is all about the internet circa 2005 and posting content and discuss how much has changed on the internet since then or more like....... how certain things did NOT change at all