IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Punch Out!

BeaIank

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

First try and I lost to Macho in second round. Just shaking off rust, I'll get him next time no problem. Maybe I should also practice Tyson.

My Super Macho Man and Mike Tyson times were way worse than what I got back in 2015, but a 14:77 Special Circuit run still isn't bad. I think I could've gotten in the mid 13 minute range if I had done better on those last two fights.

Just now, mbd39 said:

Doesn't first round Tyson require some frame perfect punches? I know it's hard to do

You have to get the delayed second punches on the uppercuts and at least a few late jabs on the hook punches to get a first round time. I had 2:35 back in 2015 and that tied the TG record at the time, but now the current record is down to 2:15.

47 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

First try and I lost to Macho in second round. Just shaking off rust, I'll get him next time no problem. Maybe I should also practice Tyson.

I added up the TG records for all 9 Special Circuit fights and got a total time of 9:39.86, so a sub 10 minute run is theoretically possible. The fastest Special Circuit speedrun I've seen was in the low 12 minute range though.

55 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think there are only two full runs on the board so that would still put you in third place for now at least.

If I can beat him. I'm having a rough time consistently dodging all of his opening uppercuts.

EDIT: I've come close to a second round TKO a couple times. Third round Tyson is horrible so it's best to beat him before that.

Edited by mbd39

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I was thinking this is like a 5 of 10 on the difficulty scale for someone who says they play nes and would want to participate in the game.

So you didn’t name the series. I’d like to give that as an option (in cases where it’s the first game of a series) for anyone who doesn’t know the actual game but writes down “that sounds like a ninja turtles game”

I figured TMNT 1 was sufficient to cover both the series and game wins. May be something you want to make stupidly clear in the rules. And you are right, you will have people second guessing themselves on whether this was turtles 1 or 2. I did briefly

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think there are only two full runs on the board so that would still put you in third place for now at least.

I dont think full run matters - just time. Richie took a 10:00:00 on tyson and is still ahead of me. I beat him in the third round so it only saved a couple minutes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I dont think full run matters - just time. Richie took a 10:00:00 on tyson and is still ahead of me. I beat him in the third round so it only saved a couple minutes. 

I guess it's a question for @BeaIank, but I imagine completing the run by beating Tyson puts you ahead of someone that lost the fight, even if they have a better overall time since the rules say "lowest time to beat all 9 fighters wins". If not, a mid second round Tyson win should be enough for you to have the lower time.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Well, it looks like you need to get some of those times better by tonight after all! @mbd39, @PII and @Dr. Morbis haven't posted their times yet, so things could get interesting.

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Fuck, I came so close to a second round TKO against Tyson and blew it. Hopefully next time.

I was playing Legendary Wings. I don't know what the rules will be, but it's about as easy as Stinger. If you can stay fully powered up, it's not hard to beat on 1 life. @docile tapeworm has probably been practicing all week.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I was playing Legendary Wings. I don't know what the rules will be, but it's about as easy as Stinger. If you can stay fully powered up, it's not hard to beat on 1 life. @docile tapeworm has probably been practicing all week.

I've done two loops of Legendary Wings with one life. Definitely one of the easier shmups on the NES.

Edited by mbd39

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Stinger and Legendary Wings have to be close to the easiest shooters. If you're fully powered up, it's almost impossible to lose a life.

These are the NES shooters I've beaten deathless: Life Force, Isolated Warrior and Legendary Wings.

I'm not that good at shooters so they must be the easiest.

Dragon Spirit and Gyruss are also relatively easy but I've never beaten them deathless.

Just now, mbd39 said:

These are the NES shooters I've beaten deathless: Life Force, Isolated Warrior and Legendary Wings.

I'm not that good at shooters so they must be the easiest.

Dragon Spirit and Gyruss are also relatively easy but I've never beaten them deathless.

I've beaten Life Force on 1 life too, but it's been a long time since I played it. I've never played Isolated Warrior or Dragon Spirit. I have played Gyruss before, but I don't remember if I finished it or not.

59 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just started playing last night. It’s such a boring game. It’s one week I hope the rule set is for short runs.

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I beat Tyson. But the tv I’m using cuts off the time at the bottom. So I’m stuck with the 10 minutes. I have no way of getting a picture with my time after I beat him.

• Sad 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I beat Tyson. But the tv I’m using cuts off the time at the bottom. So I’m stuck with the 10 minutes. I have no way of getting a picture with my time after I beat him.

Most tvs allow you to reposition the display, does yours not?