IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Punch Out!

BeaIank

11 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I beat Tyson. But the tv I’m using cuts off the time at the bottom. So I’m stuck with the 10 minutes. I have no way of getting a picture with my time after I beat him.

I had a similar issue before I looked up my TV on the internet and found out how to access the menu and adjust vertical size. You might want to try it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Man, that sucks.

My TV can adjust vertical size but not horizontal, so there will always be some cutoff on the far left and right.

Is what it is.

im not overly worried aboot it.

I could have played on a different tv with the AVS. I  just had no time this week to play as much as I’d have liked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Is what it is.

im not overly worried aboot it.

I could have played on a different tv with the AVS. I  just had no time this week to play as much as I’d have liked.

CRT still best for Punch-Out. Lag free.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think the overhead and side scrolling parts do a decent job of breaking things up. Capcom just didn't get very creative with the level design.

The level designs aren't too bad except for the bosses. They could have come up with different bosses.

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The level designs aren't too bad except for the bosses. They could have come up with different bosses.

It reminds me of Adventure Island the way the bosses are basically the same every level. They try to change it up at the very end and it's still nothing special. This is seriously what the final boss looks like.

238990eb9347b52cfda9fdfd4da5249b.png

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

13 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It reminds me of Adventure Island the way the bosses are basically the same every level. They try to change it up at the very end and it's still nothing special. This is seriously what the final boss looks like.

238990eb9347b52cfda9fdfd4da5249b.png

I wonder if Adventure Island was just copying SMB where you fight Bowser at the end of every world.

45 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I beat Tyson. But the tv I’m using cuts off the time at the bottom. So I’m stuck with the 10 minutes. I have no way of getting a picture with my time after I beat him.

Does it cut it off all the way? Mine cuts a lot of it. You can barely make it out looking at the top half. 

If it does cut it all the way, take a pic of him down with the clock in it. You can always just add 99 tenths of a second 

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had my time added up at 14:77.06, but wouldn't that be 15:17.06 instead of 16:37.06? My math skills are awful, so I legitimately have no idea.

image.png.f051f320b021cc03e8ce722d135c490c.png

The numbers don't lie. It adds up to 16:37.06

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Super Punch-Out you can keep doing each one individually.

Some super punch-out would be a nice follow up to beating tyson again for the first time in years. MTPO was a hard game to follow up. They did a tremendous job with super punch-out

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Some super punch-out would be a nice follow up to beating tyson again for the first time in years.

It's been a while for me too.

Tyson is such a test of reflexes. I'm not sure how much of a fraction of a second you have to react to his uppercuts but it's brief enough that any extra lag makes it impossible.

And yeah, Super Punch-Out is great. I enjoy it at least as much as MTPO. I also like how Super Punch-Out requires a a lot more different inputs. Whereas in MTPO you usually only have to dodge left and punch, or block, at least when playing casually.