IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Punch Out!

BeaIank

If my math is correct, this week's result puts @Richardhead in the lead in the sports category. Nicely done, richie! Rad racer will be fun and great scoreboard watching. I bet @Bearcat-Doug has some rad racer game. Ive always been a rad racer 2 guy, so it will be fun to try to get into the original. I predict a week long rivalry with @PII that ends in my defeat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Where the heck were you? 

For the first time in a long time I didn't feel like playing this week.  Never played it before and I figured there's going to be a bunch of vets playing and I didn't feel like working on this one all week and taking a bazillion pictures over and over just for sixth place.  Been continuing to play BTDD here and there.  That's frustrating enough..

3 hours ago, PII said:

For the first time in a long time I didn't feel like playing this week.  Never played it before and I figured there's going to be a bunch of vets playing and I didn't feel like working on this one all week and taking a bazillion pictures over and over just for sixth place.  Been continuing to play BTDD here and there.  That's frustrating enough..

If you want to take the week off during the Yie Ar Kung Fu contest, it would really help me out since you still have a shot at the beat em up title. 😂

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think this is the first time Rad Racer has come up since the 2016 contest. I had the highest score when we played in 2013 and 2016. Both of my scores would have beaten the Twin Galaxies record, so I guess I'm okay at it.

Lol so I definitely guessed right. Sounds like Pizza Pii and I will have to battle for 2nd

12 hours ago, PII said:

Never played it before 

This has to be remedied. Its among the greatest games of all time and tyson is an insanely fun challenge. Its a crime if someone who even mildly likes NES hasnt played MTPO. You gotta fix this. 

The game is fairly easy except for tyson. Dodge, punch to stun, repeat until he isnt stunned. That strat will take you all the way to tyson. You can practice tyson using the tyson code below. 

007 373 5963

As a kid, if you asked if I would have a better chance of one day becoming president or one day beating tyson on MTPO, I would have said president. Because someone will actually become president. Tyson was regarded as an impossible feat. Occasionally youd meet someone who claimed to know someone who could beat tyson. That person would be pretty quickly dismissed as a liar and never came back to prove otherwise. 

You have to check this out, just to know what it is if nothing else. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Lol so I definitely guessed right. Sounds like Pizza Pii and I will have to battle for 2nd

Pretty sure @mbd39 is a fan also...

Regarding MTPO: I know everyone and their Grand-maw-maw loves the game and considers it a must play, so rest assured, it is on my "Get to it sooner rather than never list of games to play."

Based on your first sentence, this is how I imagine you nervously wondering if I've tried MTPO yet:

The only difference is I picture you lying awake in the dark with one hand on your laptop...

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.01.54 PM.png

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This has to be remedied. Its among the greatest games of all time and tyson is an insanely fun challenge. Its a crime if someone who even mildly likes NES hasnt played MTPO. You gotta fix this. 

The game is fairly easy except for tyson. Dodge, punch to stun, repeat until he isnt stunned. That strat will take you all the way to tyson. You can practice tyson using the tyson code below. 

007 373 5963

As a kid, if you asked if I would have a better chance of one day becoming president or one day beating tyson on MTPO, I would have said president. Because someone will actually become president. Tyson was regarded as an impossible feat. Occasionally youd meet someone who claimed to know someone who could beat tyson. That person would be pretty quickly dismissed as a liar and never came back to prove otherwise. 

You have to check this out, just to know what it is if nothing else. 

I've noticed that Soda Popinski is the first real challenge for newer players and where they'll get stuck. I had a lot of difficulty with him as a kid before I got good. Mr. Dream and Super Macho aren't exactly pushovers either. Mr. Sandman seems to be the one that gives the most people hell outside of Tyson. I don't think he's that bad as long as there isn't any lag.

Just now, mbd39 said:

I've noticed that Soda Popinski is the first real challenge for newer players and where they'll get stuck. I had a lot of difficulty with him as a kid before I got good. Mr. Dream and Super Macho aren't exactly pushovers either. Mr. Sandman seems to be the one that gives the most people hell outside of Tyson. I don't think he's that bad as long as there isn't any lag.

Once I practice tyson enough using the code to be confident going into that fight, its macho man that makes me nervous. The delay from when he starts the motion for his spin punch to when it actually starts is maddening. Its easy to dodge too early and get smoked if you arent really on your toes. 

On 7/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, mbd39 said:

On 7/24/2023 at 3:39 PM, NESfiend said:

Once I practice tyson enough using the code to be confident going into that fight, its macho man that makes me nervous. The delay from when he starts the motion for his spin punch to when it actually starts is maddening. Its easy to dodge too early and get smoked if you arent really on your toes. 

Soda popinski can still trip me up on occasion. Super macho is a pushover and Sandman is toughest after Tyson imo.

Edited by docile tapeworm

• The topic was unpinned