IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Punch Out!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, G-type said:

it takes me at least 3 tries just to enter the code without screwing up

So glad it's not just me. It takes me more than 3. I almost gave up after about 10 tries last night. When I finally got it, I was fired up like I had beat a really hard level. 

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

The only thing this challenge is missing is the biking scene. Tremendous music

so a guy I know “him and her got it on wooooooooweeeeee” 

no but seriously a guy I know runs the local convention. He slated me a spot for a chip tunes panel. I’d love to get some ideas from you guys. I have a format of: play the tune for 30 sec then contestants have a sheet of paper to fill out the following. 

game series (1 point) specific game title (1 point) and extras, specific stage or area of the game (1 point) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

so a guy I know “him and her got it on wooooooooweeeeee” 

no but seriously a guy I know runs the local convention. He slated me a spot for a chip tunes panel. I’d love to get some ideas from you guys. I have a format of: play the tune for 30 sec then contestants have a sheet of paper to fill out the following. 

game series (1 point) specific game title (1 point) and extras, specific stage or area of the game (1 point) 

You should use us as test subjects. If we can't get most of them, you are probably going too obscure. The people in this thread are probably well above average level of knowledge than the average conventioner. On the other hand, if we get all get them all, probably too easy. 

Ive had people send me tik tok videos where you have to listen to 5 clips and name the games. I usuallly go 5 for 5 or 4 for 5. But they typically use the most basic games. Of course me and everyone else in the world will get smb, contra, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

You should use us as test subjects. If we can't get most of them, you are probably going too obscure. The people in this thread are probably well above average level of knowledge than the average conventioner. On the other hand, if we get all get them all, probably too easy. 

Ive had people send me tik tok videos where you have to listen to 5 clips and name the games. I usuallly go 5 for 5 or 4 for 5. But they typically use the most basic games. Of course me and everyone else in the world will get smb, contra, etc.

I think I have a nice lineup of tunes difficulty wise. Thoughts on the format?

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I think I have a nice lineup of tunes difficulty wise. Thoughts on the format?

Agreed your format sounds solid. You could also use the 8/16 bit version of jeopardy theme in between rounds for fun.

Could Also do a guess the movie /TV theme featuring the music in licensed games. Couple weeks were all going to have the tiny toons theme in our nightmares 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'm rusty but I should be able to beat all these guys in a row. Taking all the pictures and adding up all times will be the annoying part this week.

I thought we would be fighting it out for first place, but I've had a stomach flu all week and haven't even had a chance to play yet.

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Dig the format. Specific level points will separate the men from the gods amongst men

17 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Agreed your format sounds solid. You could also use the 8/16 bit version of jeopardy theme in between rounds for fun.

Could Also do a guess the movie /TV theme featuring the music in licensed games. Couple weeks were all going to have the tiny toons theme in our nightmares 

Ok no cheating. Series. Game. Extra.

• Love 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, mbd39 said:

I'm rusty but I should be able to beat all these guys in a row. Taking all the pictures and adding up all times will be the annoying part this week.

I got a full first round knockout run in. I just barely got Tyson though. I probably could have knocked a full minute off of my overall run if I had more time to play this week.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Ok no cheating. Series. Game. Extra.

TMNT 1 title screen. Not sure if it also plays during gameplay

Finally got back to where I can consistently beat tyson, but my times suck. I should be able to get tyson 2nd round, but didnt execute. Hopefully I can get back to the basement for another playthrough before the weekend is out. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

TMNT 1 title screen. Not sure if it also plays during gameplay

I was thinking this is like a 5 of 10 on the difficulty scale for someone who says they play nes and would want to participate in the game.

So you didn’t name the series. I’d like to give that as an option (in cases where it’s the first game of a series) for anyone who doesn’t know the actual game but writes down “that sounds like a ninja turtles game”