IGNORED

Influx of Spam

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

I just wanted to put out a quick note to say that we're aware of an influx of spam bots lately, and doing what we can to manage it. Today has been the worst so far with 30+ registrations and counting, so we've set it so that new accounts need manual admin approval to get on the site, so they at least can't spam the forum. 

Obviously though that's not long term viable, it's just the best I can do from my phone right now as I'm setting into my new (and currently very empty) house. I've also created a support ticket with Invision to see if there's anything else I can do to prevent the spam. 

Unfortunately based on my reading this is rather widespread, as AI tools have gotten to such a level that Captcha and the like isn't working well enough anymore. I know that Invision is currently working on new tools, but similar to hackers and torrenting, I imagine that it's the case that the bad actors will always be just a step behind, and any new measures may fall to them shortly after implementation. Internet, yay. 

If you encounter any issues at all please report it, or message me so I can pass it on. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I just wanted to put out a quick note to say that we're aware of an influx of spam bots lately, and doing what we can to manage it. Today has been the worst so far with 30+ registrations and counting, so we've set it so that new accounts need manual admin approval to get on the site, so they at least can't spam the forum. 

Obviously though that's not long term viable, it's just the best I can do from my phone right now as I'm setting into my new (and currently very empty) house. I've also created a support ticket with Invision to see if there's anything else I can do to prevent the spam. 

Unfortunately based on my reading this is rather widespread, as AI tools have gotten to such a level that Captcha and the like isn't working well enough anymore. I know that Invision is currently working on new tools, but similar to hackers and torrenting, I imagine that it's the case that the bad actors will always be just a step behind, and any new measures may fall to them shortly after implementation. Internet, yay. 

If you encounter any issues at all please report it, or message me so I can pass it on. 

Do so many people so go up a day that manual approval is not an option?

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

Do so many people so go up a day that manual approval is not an option?

It's an option, but it's not ideal at all. Especially if we have to manually weed through a ton of spam to try and find the real ones. DanGilbert1989 could just as easily be a 34 year old dude named Dan, or a spambot, and until they post (or add junk to their About Me section) your guess is as good as mine. 

I believe there are alternatives like letting new members post but the posts need manual approval from a moderator, that might be easier. Like I say though I'm on my phone so it's a pain to find the right settings etc.. I literally just moved and have nothing in my house, I don't have any chairs or anything. 

@captmorgandrinker and @spacepup are welcome to look into what can be done in the meantime if they like. This week I'm gonna be slow to respond, personally. 

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's an option, but it's not ideal at all. Especially if we have to manually weed through a ton of spam to try and find the real ones. DanGilbert1989 could just as easily be a 34 year old dude named Dan, or a spambot, and until they post (or add junk to their About Me section) your guess is as good as mine. 

I believe there are alternatives like letting new members post but the posts need manual approval from a moderator, that might be easier. Like I say though I'm on my phone so it's a pain to find the right settings etc.. I literally just moved and have nothing in my house, I don't have any chairs or anything. 

@captmorgandrinker and @spacepup are welcome to look into what can be done in the meantime if they like. This week I'm gonna be slow to respond, personally. 

Nah I was interested in finding out more is all. I’m sure all users need to verify their sign up email, but aside from that, maybe you can’t create a new post for X days or you can only post in the welcome thread for X days. I don’t want to discourage people from signing up because they can’t create a new post immediately but deleting out the bot stuff has to be annoying 

edit: hope the move went well!

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, a3quit4s said:

Nah I was interested in finding out more is all. I’m sure all users need to verify their sign up email, but aside from that, maybe you can’t create a new post for X days or you can only post in the welcome thread for X days. I don’t want to discourage people from signing up because they can’t create a new post immediately but deleting out the bot stuff has to be annoying 

edit: hope the move went well!

You're good bud no worries, happy to have the conversation and suggestions/thoughts are always welcome. 

And thank you! 

Administrator · Posted

So back to the spam issue - we are working on available solutions, but just ask people to be patient with us.  The traditional captcha's and automated defense systems aren't as effective against current AI. 

We don't want to make it ridiculously restrictive and difficult to get an account and start posting either, so we have to find a good balance.  To give people an idea of the severity - even after we blocked automated processes, just today we've had dozens of new account attempts pending authorization, 99% of which are spam.

While we work on this, we are manually approving accounts - I'm reviewing those as they come in, but please let me know if you know someone directly trying to get an account and having any trouble at all.

Thanks!

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Link said:

You mean ahead, right? Otherwise I'm confused. 

I mean that they can't predict what new measures will be put in place, but will be right there ready to figure out a bypass when new measures are released. They're always just 1 step behind. 

• Like 1

I think the post approval idea is decent. For a user's first 1-3 posts or something. @Gloves and @spacepup and the rest of the staff, you guys seem to be incredibly on top of things; the spam that lasts long enough for anyone to see has been pretty rare. I guess the question for that as a possible solution is, what's the balance of that work vs deleting 40 threads that crop up in the middle of the night advertising a Chinese scamiversity.

On that note I want to thank the staff for all you guys do maintaining this community just so we can all have a good time.

• Love 1

Can you limit how many posts can be made in a time frame (maybe 12 hours)  for new accounts = that way if they get in they can only do a minimum amount of damage.  Once you see someone is legit you can take that restriction off.   

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

I think the post approval idea is decent. For a user's first 1-3 posts or something. @Gloves and @spacepup and the rest of the staff, you guys seem to be incredibly on top of things; the spam that lasts long enough for anyone to see has been pretty rare. 

Keeping odd hours I see it somewhat often - usually 20 or more posts in a chain on one forum.  Not a deal breaker but just an annoyance as you have to scroll through them to get to the real posts. We need Robocop who would never sleep.  

5 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Bro at least have the guts to tag us 😂😂😂 and for the record, I have never broken any rules, just posted in a different way than some mods feel I should be posting 😉

I haven't even been on for a few days, was only checking in because of Werewolf. 

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Can you limit how many posts can be made in a time frame (maybe 12 hours)  for new accounts = that way if they get in they can only do a minimum amount of damage.  Once you see someone is legit you can take that restriction off.   

What we could probably do is add a new group, New Member, and restrict their posting until they have like 1 or 2 mod approved posts, then they auto update to a regular member. I'm pretty sure I can do that, just need my computer back from the movers. 

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What we could probably do is add a new group, New Member, and restrict their posting until they have like 1 or 2 mod approved posts, then they auto update to a regular member. I'm pretty sure I can do that, just need my computer back from the movers. 

Time to promote a new mod

I vote for Skinny

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

na mate, @OptOut as he is on the other side of the world and can clean up the mess from his side of the world before we wake up and see the garbage 😏

I second this. A lot of the spam actually happens during our night time around 6-8pm so most probably don’t even see it unless they login in the morning. Seeing as @OptOut and @fcgamer are 2 hours behind me they can do the heavy lifting 😆

Administrator · Posted

We've currently switched to manual approval (temporarily), and will be implementing a few changes to the screening process to hopefully make it more complicated for bots.  We'll try that out, and if we still have issues, we'll troubleshoot.