IGNORED

Influx of Spam

Gloves

Just throwing this out here, erased the messages from my inbox and I think I blocked the wanker, but this happened twice today.  I was curious, in a brave browser/tor window setup I saw it went to some EURO payment website to bid/buy that item and another one on the other message I don't have my email anymore either.  If he's not banned yet, now's the time.

SalvioliAx (username)

Tiger Mega Man 2 Wrist Watch

Hello, I am selling on a auction my MegaMan 2 Tiger Wrist Watch Game,in case of you be interessed follow the link bellow, thanks, have a nice day. ...

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Just throwing this out here, erased the messages from my inbox and I think I blocked the wanker, but this happened twice today.  I was curious, in a brave browser/tor window setup I saw it went to some EURO payment website to bid/buy that item and another one on the other message I don't have my email anymore either.  If he's not banned yet, now's the time.

SalvioliAx (username)

Tiger Mega Man 2 Wrist Watch

Hello, I am selling on a auction my MegaMan 2 Tiger Wrist Watch Game,in case of you be interessed follow the link bellow, thanks, have a nice day. ...

Next time instead of erasing, can you report? Then we can more easily handle it. 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:56 PM, Gloves said:

What we could probably do is add a new group, New Member, and restrict their posting until they have like 1 or 2 mod approved posts, then they auto update to a regular member. I'm pretty sure I can do that, just need my computer back from the movers. 

These are all good ideas

I'd prob also suggest adding a flood limit that would include a wait time between posts on new users in the new user group so they can't create 40 new posts in the blink of an eye.  These restrictions could fall off after a set number of days/posts or mod approval and they just become a regular user.

• Agree 2

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, fox said:

I'd prob also suggest adding a flood limit that would include a wait time between posts on new users in the new user group so they can't create 40 new posts in the blink of an eye.  These restrictions could fall off after a set number of days/posts or mod approval and they just become a regular user.

This definitely sounds like it would be a good idea if possible, yeah. It wouldn't help the problem of bots signing up in and of itself, but it would at least limit the spam to only one post at a time rather than spreading it all across the site when they do sign up.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:31 PM, Tabonga said:

Keeping odd hours I see it somewhat often - usually 20 or more posts in a chain on one forum.  Not a deal breaker but just an annoyance as you have to scroll through them to get to the real posts. We need Robocop who would never sleep.  

But did you ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like ☎ BOOKING 📞+1- (844)- 509- 4903 📞DELTA 📞RESERVATION 📞NUMBER📞?

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Brickman said:

@OptOut your night shift has started. Get to work on this Delta spam.

Crazy the bots were able to bypass the manual screening day 1 😞 

Just to clarify - we made the entry process more difficult and turned the manual screening off.  If we continue to see spam, we'll turn the manual approval back on and explore further.  I just ask that people bear with us while we improve the system.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

How did even a user spambot named xinxinjingjing54879 get in here?

xinxinjingjing54879 could just as easily be a -52856 year old dude named Xinxinjingjing, or a spambot, and until they post (or add junk to their About Me section) your guess is as good as mine. 

• Haha 1

Admins & mods, do you want us to report spam threads or are they obvious enough? I don't want t1118留服认证办理,留信认证制作国外留学毕业证成绩单购买国外留学学位证办理真实可查留学归国证明,办真实存档留信网认证大使馆认证学历认证和教育部认证,以下国家都可办理:办理英国留学归国证明,美国留学归国

Administrator · Posted

They are pretty obvious to us - it's just a matter of me checking in in the morning, for example.  I've removed the recent user's posts.  

Some are still getting through, but significantly fewer individual cases are getting through the system at least.  We'll continue monitoring and working on this.  We are looking into features to address it.  Occasionally, one is going to get through, but it shouldn't be a problem for long as we're monitoring closely.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

I thought new accounts had to be approved by mods, or are these spammers building up a small pool of approved accounts to then turn around and spam the forum for a night, or so?

We turned off the manual approval process, but also modified some of the filtering / onboarding to reduce bots.  It seems to have worked - there are far less bots getting in than before.  Occasionally one might slip in, or be from a dormant account.

The problem with manual approval, is that some accounts are obvious, but then some could be genuine users and it is near impossible to tell.  There might be an account "jason246" or something with an e-mail "jason246@gmail.com" that could be legitimate or could be spam.  Not all the spam accounts were xingxingxing23742@buygoldfromme.com.  

Anyway, we're working on things and will keep tweaking to try to reduce it.  In the meantime, just bear with us and we'll remove anything as soon as we see it. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted
19 hours ago, Nes Freak said:

i got an idea. just make it where new accounts require a valid email with a week wait before posting.

I hate forums like that.  Those kind of restrictions make me not use that forum and find another.  I don't think the goal is to make it impossible for spam to happen but to make is reduced to a manageable amount while allowing new people to engage with the community in a pretty painless way of doing the typical bot screening questions.

Come to think about it that "making you wait a week after registration" thing must be one of the worst ideas ever suggested that makes matters only worse. When a real person signs up, they will get frustrated and never come back again. Spambots don't have any feelings and don't care and they are going to shit all over the forum immediately after the 7 days of deadline have passed. Ultimately this does nothing to help the original problem. This is how you kill a forum

Geez... it just a suggestion.  im a patient person, i can wait a week.  it doesnt bother me lol.  its a heck of a lot better than waiting for a non existent approval to get in.  when i come across a forum and have to wait to be approved by an admin to come in, i leave and move on because inevitably they dont bother or care to approve new users weather they dont check or they dont think you're good enough whatever reason.  and im not talking about posting to get an approval im talking about registering and get a message "an admin must approve you before accessing the forum"

Anyways. whatever you all decide to do.  all i know if these bot are getting harder to stop.

what about having to do a recapcha wile registering?  if there bots that should in theory stop them.  all though... ive heard that those dont work very well anymore as the bots have gotten more advanced.