IGNORED

Game Debate #151: Tekken 3

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I recognize Tekken 3 is probably a fine game, but I can't personally appreciate this style of fighters at all.

5/10 because I'm sure it has something worth engaging in if you really do sit down and give it a chance... The description for any of the higher scores doesn't sound like something I would ever say about Tekken 😄 

Edited by Sumez
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The only Tekken game I managed to get into on the PS2 was the first-- Tekken Tag.  Though I enjoy Tekken Tag and would likely rate it a 9/9.5, I prefer the pureness of a traditional fighter with one player.  But Before TTT came out my buddy and I would grab every Tekken game that came out on the PS1.  Tekken 3 was/is quintessential Tekken to me.  It doesn't get any better.

I admit l'd like to play all of the newer ones that have came out in the past 20 years, but I'm fine calling this what it is to me-- a 10 of 10.  Best fighting game, IMHO, ever.

I can't comment on Tekken 3 specifically because I don't believe I've played it. However, I can comment on the Tekken series as a whole by saying...I don't think I've ever actually liked a single one of them that I have played.

In part, I've never liked fighting games on a 3D play field. Soul Caliber, Virtua Fighter, some of the later Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games...none of them really work for me. Fighting games just don't feel right (or fun) unless they're played on a single 2D plane.

For another, I don't like fighting games that put a lot of focus on juggles, stun-locks and grapples. I can't claim to be an expert on any of the Tekken games (my lack of enjoyment naturally limited the time I spent playing them) but every Tekken game that I have tried always felt like it was a race to be the first to abuse trapping your opponent in the air and exploiting long hit-recovery animations.

Also, the control schemes always felt strange and unintuitive to me and the fighting overall felt stiff and sluggish.

So yeah, I won't give Tekken 3 a specific rating but as a whole series, I'd be hard pressed to rate any of them higher than a 4 out of 10.

Edited by Webhead123

Played everyday after school with my buddy down the street. Went out of my way to learn hworang’s combos and moves. 

Still dominate with him around the work arcade now-a-days

Also, iirc, didnt it have a “story” mode? The first tekken to do so? (Not sure) 

Basically a beat -em-up with tekken moves, outstanding addition if so. 

I never spent much time playing fighting games, but for some reason, this game really appealed to me.  It's definitely my favorite 3D fighting game, and possibly the only fighting game that I've actually beaten and unlocked everything.  I still prefer 2D fighting games, but I can still play this game today and enjoy it.  I even busted it out recently for the "Beat the PS1 Library" thread.  

On 4/25/2023 at 4:15 PM, RH said:

The only Tekken game I managed to get into on the PS2 was the first-- Tekken Tag.  Though I enjoy Tekken Tag and would likely rate it a 9/9.5, I prefer the pureness of a traditional fighter with one player.  But Before TTT came out my buddy and I would grab every Tekken game that came out on the PS1.  Tekken 3 was/is quintessential Tekken to me.  It doesn't get any better.

I admit l'd like to play all of the newer ones that have came out in the past 20 years, but I'm fine calling this what it is to me-- a 10 of 10.  Best fighting game, IMHO, ever.

I liked Tekken Tag Tournament a little better, but they are both awesome.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1