IGNORED

The US Library of Congress has declared the Super Mario Bros theme a cultural icon; will preserve it in the National Recording Registry

Teh_Lurv

25 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

But it's not American, or is the Library of Congress putting anything on the whole planet that is 'worthy' in their registry?

Yes. They specifically state they choose what to “register” based on peoples feedback and pick diverse things from different backgrounds that represent the melting pot that is America 😉

In the end, its just a group saying “Hey, we are doing something pay attention” 

That being said…….

USA USA USA USA USA USA 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

48 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

But it's not American, or is the Library of Congress putting anything on the whole planet that is 'worthy' in their registry?

My Great-Great Grandmothers jewelry and dress aren't American made either, but they're somewhere in the archives in Washington too.

They're authentic Romani clothes and bead jewelry made in Russia around the turn of the century 1900s.

• Like 2

I'm really happy for Koji Kondo. He made a legendarily catchy tune that even parents of the 80s who hated games know and love. Some Mario themes also only have the first part be catchy, and then fall into a repeating part like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 3D Land. In the first game every part of the song is catchy and fun. 🙂

It's nice to see how far video games have come in the public eye. Even formerly "evil" and "Satanic" Dungeons and Dragons now has a movie that released at Easter, one of the most Holy days of the year. XD

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Agreed, congrats Kondo, Miyamoto too.  The music was captured, but if it wasn't for the brilliance that brought forward that game, that mascot, that in game world it wouldn't be there.  It makes sense to be the first piece from gaming.  Over the decades things have come and gone, Mario hasn't.  Not only that for decades the #1 icon in the states was MIckey Mouse among kids both for being a fan but just general recognition, Mario knocked it off its pedestal which is no small feat.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, Samantha Garland said:

He made a legendarily catchy tune that even parents of the 80s who hated games know and love.

This is not true at all.  I mean will some small amount of 80s parents know the Super Mario Bros. tune? Sure.  The vast majority will have no idea what it is.

10 minutes ago, JeremiahJT said:

This is not true at all.  I mean will some small amount of 80s parents know the Super Mario Bros. tune? Sure.  The vast majority will have no idea what it is.

I suppose, but I wasn't trying to be super technical about it. You also contradicted yourself in one sentence.

"That's not true at all. Except it's true sometimes."

2 hours ago, JeremiahJT said:

I dunno, man.  They regularly play Mario and Zelda NES tunes at sporting events around here all the time.  In fact, whenever a team successfully kills off a penalty in NHL games on my TV channels , they play the "Mario touched a mushroom and became Super" sound effect as the penalty expires.  At this point I almost feel like SMB1 music and sound effects are a part of our collective subconcious...

• Agree 1