IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Brickman said:

If you put a disclaimer that it is ranking only games you have actually played, you should hopefully have less pitchforks thrown at you 😆

Disclaimer: This list will contain exactly zero Pokemans.  Get triggered now please.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#8: Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (1990)

One of the very first metal loves of my life (as I'm sure they were for many people), Dave was firing on all cylinders in 1990.  I know that.  You know that.  Everyone knows that.  Rust in Peace is one of the most celebrated albums in the genre's history.  Maybe the most.  There's nothing I can say here that the rest of the internet hasn't already said a billion times.

Plus, I mean, check out those jeans.

Honorable mentions: Peace Sells, Tornado of Souls, Washington's Next

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok, winning me over again haha.

Also to me, Tornado of Souls has the greatest metal solo of all time.  The solos on that record when I first heard them blew my fucking mind.  Love Marty, even if he alters the Tornado solo live and it isn't as cool as on the record :).

Edited by guitarzombie

Editorials Team · Posted

#7: Agalloch - Falling Snow (2006)

The kings of "gray" metal.

I actually used to work with Jason's mother.  She'd give me the inside scoop on lots  news, and even gifted me tons of swag and albums (including some rare stuff).  And I even got to see them play a tiny venue that represented a homecoming show of sorts.

Shame they broke up, and a bigger shame that John's gotten himself in trouble recently.  But we'll always have those first couple albums.

Honorable mentions: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion, Our Fortress is Burning

Editorials Team · Posted

#6: Judas Priest - The Sentinel (1983)

Pick any song or album from Priest's golden era, and it's just a ton of fun.  Riffs for days.  Halford having a ball.  Iconic hooks and harmonies.

Defenders of the Faith is my favorite though.  Just song after song after song that is overwhelming fun.  I never get tired of them.

Honorable mentions: Rock Hard Ride Free, Painkiller, The Ripper, Electric Eye

Editorials Team · Posted

#5: Gojira - Backbone (2005)

(Backbone at 11:00 mark)

The heaviest band in the universe, and the coolest thing to come out of France in a very long time.  I adore each and every album they've done, but From Mars to Sirius will probably forever remain my favorite.  Just a killer selection of timeless tracks that really locked down their signature sound.  @Murray @JamesRobot @Richardhead

Honorable mentions: Heaviest Matter in the Universe, The Axe, Silvera

• Like 1

I can’t believe how high St Anger is going to make it in this list.

Also I have my hopes up for some hipster Iron Maiden pick like Sign of the Cross. I didn’t go through this whole list for some tiny 4 minute snack like Run to the Hills. I’ve got places to be and the song better not be over when I get there. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I can’t believe how high St Anger is going to make it in this list.

Also I have my hopes up for some hipster Iron Maiden pick like Sign of the Cross. I didn’t go through this whole list for some tiny 4 minute snack like Run to the Hills. I’ve got places to be and the song better not be over when I get there. 

I joked earlier that Reed created a massive troll post just to have nothing else matters as number 1. I’m now scared it might be 😄

I am excited for this top 5. I've been to busy to post, but I have been keeping up with this list. I am enjoying it very much, thank you for doing it. I've been working on my own personal 100.

My guess for the remaining 4 bands(unless you have them somewhere) Mastodon, iron maiden, Death, and Ghost.

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I am excited for this top 5. I've been to busy to post, but I have been keeping up with this list. I am enjoying it very much, thank you for doing it. I've been working on my own personal 100.

My guess for the remaining 4 bands(unless you have them somewhere) Mastodon, iron maiden, Death, and Ghost.

Three of those already happened

4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Ghost are already out (#12 which really surprised me honestly) and Mastodon were #21. Can't remember if Death have been listed yet. At least Iron Maiden will be in the top 4 otherwise I would have to request Gloves to ban Reed 🤣 I was sad Helloween and Rhapsody of Fire didn't even make it in the top 100, unless they're top 4 which would surprise me.

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I detest Metallica.  They're pop-metal.  I think they're horrible.  BUT, if someone wants to put them in the top whatever, how could I argue?

I like their early albums but by the 90's they were pretty meh for me. Can't believe they're going to make top 4 but it's Reed's favourites so I can't argue either.

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I detest Metallica.  They're pop-metal.  I think they're horrible.  BUT, if someone wants to put them in the top whatever, how could I argue?

I don't think I can take any metal band that hired a life coach seriously.

• Haha 2

I've cracked @Reed Rothchild's top 100 songs puzzle and why he didn't rank Ghost in his top 10 despite them being in his top 3 favourite metal bands!

Reed travelled into the future and discovered that Ghost were going to cover an Iron Maiden song. This is why he placed Ghost out of the top 10 and will post this cover of Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera in the top 4 spot instead of Iron Maiden's version. This will then ensure that Reed has gotten Ghost into the top 100 twice while also showing his love for Iron Maiden! You clever bastard!

Awesome cover btw. Not for @Hammerfestus ears though. He'll probably complain that it's lame 😆

• Wow! 1

9 hours ago, Brickman said:

I've cracked @Reed Rothchild's top 100 songs puzzle and why he didn't rank Ghost in his top 10 despite them being in his top 3 favourite metal bands!

Reed travelled into the future and discovered that Ghost were going to cover an Iron Maiden song. This is why he placed Ghost out of the top 10 and will post this cover of Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera in the top 4 spot instead of Iron Maiden's version. This will then ensure that Reed has gotten Ghost into the top 100 twice while also showing his love for Iron Maiden! You clever bastard!

Awesome cover btw. Not for @Hammerfestus ears though. He'll probably complain that it's lame 😆

You know, I’ve always said to myself that what Iron Maiden really needs is suckier vocals.  Bruce Dickenson is really dragging them down.  😉 

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#4: Mercyful Fate - Evil (1983)

You may or may not have noticed a lack of King Diamond on this list.  I considered it, but ending up not deeming any of his solo tracks strong enough to make the cut.  Including anything off Abigail.

There were no doubts about Mercyful Fate though.  Love these guys.  Even the 90s stuff, and especially In the Shadows.  They could do no wrong on those first 3 albums.

But it's the opening track off the debut that really gets me.  Just the absolute perfect mix of great riffs, great vocals, and excellent songwriting.

Honorable mentions: Gypsy, Is that you, Melissa?

Editorials Team · Posted

#3: In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids (1997)

Pick any song In Flames did between 1995 and 2000 and it could have gone here.  Any of them.  With The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman, IF had the greatest four album run in metal history in my opinion.  That's not really a hot take either: most (if not all) of the metal scene have a similar reverence for that era.

Now, have they been able to match that in the ensuing decades.  Obviously not.  And with Jesper long retired, and Peter and Daniel recently retired to start a brewery, we just have Anders and Bjorn left.  So In Flames as they once were is never coming  back.  But I feel like they do try to honor that old sound as much as possible.  After experimenting with Soundtrack to Your Escape, and recently, Battles and Siren whatever, they always end up circling back to some of their core sounds.  That's good enough for me.

I was extremely close to selecting December Flower here, as I am an absolute sucker for prominent three-guitar parts/players (see: Ghost and Iron Maiden), a staple of their early albums.  But the improved production on this guy (and Anders' improved vocals) just slightly tipped the scales for me.

Honorable mentions: Swim, Ordinary Story, December Flower, Worlds Within the Margins

• Like 1

So far I fucking despise half of your top 10-3. 

And thats okay, because I got like 30 new bands that im into now. And respect your obviously educated decision. 

And my co workers hate you because I rip Alestorm all day now. 

WE ARE HERE. TO DRINK YOUR BEER. AND TAKE YOUR RUM, AT THE POINT OF A GUN

God its probably annoying. 

• Like 1