IGNORED

Where can I get NES labels printed?

I had some custom artwork made (show off later) for my prototype cartridges and I'm wondering where I can get them printed. I can probably just buy sticky sheets and cut them out myself but is there anywhere that will die cut them for me? Is NES-City still functioning and do they take custom files?

No idea on NES-City. Their inventory looks sold out and their last 8-Bit Xmas box was 2020. Doesn't look good.

You might check some Etsy stores and see if they'll do a custom label. This one's just an example, there's probably several people on there that can make them.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/804920536/nes-custom-design-print-specify-label?click_key=4b64eb08a1685b73520e454f53ae30634097947a%3A804920536&click_sum=23570c1b&ga_search_query=custom&ref=shop_items_search_2&frs=1&crt=1

Otherwise, if you have enough customs to make it worthwhile, it's not that hard to get the stuff you need to make your own.

Edited by Tulpa

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Will something like this for $15 also work?

Looks like it would, depending on how exact you want it to be to originals. If that one has a return policy, maybe get it and try a test label to make sure. If it's not close enough, return it and try another.

Edited by Tulpa

Depending on how many you're wanting to make, if you end up doing them on your own, you could probably get an older Cricut machine for a decent discount and make up your own cutting template once they're printed.

For a cheaper solution around the same lines, this guy tells you exactly how to do it in his video and also provides links to all the things he uses to accomplish it (including a manual cutter).

I know that Piko is kind of hated more than loved, but has been a long term online friend I've kept in contact with.  Years ago after he got into just doing legit reproductions(owned/licensed) he tipped me off to a way to make a very good convincing solid label to try and jive with what Nintendo used to do.  I saved it years back (2015) how to go about doing it.  I'll paste the file here, do as you wish, it's not like it's state secrets at this rate.  If done correctly you can get that same color, sharpness, quality, laminate even of a nice NES/SNES style label for your work, and using that cutter you linked a few posts above would seal the deal on proper edging.

Label Making done accurate and Cheap

- Print as 'regular bright paper' (best colors and print quality)
- Use regular paper setting NOT glossy as it color changes
- Self sealing paper apply over printed label so it doesn't bleed/run being touched
- onlinelabels.com, buy full page glossy, weatherproof is best

The self sealing paper is 3mm (Nintendo had .5mm labels SNES, 1mm NES)
The weatherproofing label paper is thin compared to normal, compensates for size

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’ve used this dude on Etsy for a bunch of labels I’ve needed. Very nice. I’m sure you can email and see if you can just send him the artwork and he can print them for you. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/fireandclarity

What do I do after I click the link? I tjust shows me a bunch of Sunset Riders logos and there's nothing else to click on. I've never used this website.

I'm agreeing here with Wiz, he has some solid tools, and had him over a LOOOOOOOON period 😉 make me a one off Sim City NES game in a Famicom shell/board and his sticker quality is pretty damn good.  Clean image, nice quality without any fuzz or blur, solid quality material attached too.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What do I do after I click the link? I tjust shows me a bunch of Sunset Riders logos and there's nothing else to click on. I've never used this website.

@the_wizard_666 offered to make some for you a couple posts up - @Tanooki vouched for him. Maybe try out someone here first!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

@the_wizard_666 offered to make some for you a couple posts up - @Tanooki vouched for him. Maybe try out someone here first!

simcity-nes1.thumb.jpg.8b62e07a88ebb2613fd1df9ae7618599.jpg

This is the label, not the best picture, but it is clean, and it's durable.  Only thing could have been better is a straighter cut. 😉  The art is custom he worked that up at my request since nothing out there existed really, and definitely not for the FC sizing.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

Scroll to the bottom and click on "contact shop owner"

That's weird, now it's showing their account, not what it was showing before.

It looks like they sell reproduction labels for existing game artwork, is this true? I can't support someone selling unlicensed reproductions, that's not legal.

2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Why are you modifying the prototypes? Thats strange

I have 2 NES prototypes that are completely bare with no labelling at all. I thought it would be fun to add some custom made, full colour labels to them.

Well the Mega Man 2 has the text label strip on it but I'm not sure how vintage that is. Probably not original 1980s but it's coming off anyway.

• Disagree 3

22 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It looks like they sell reproduction labels for existing game artwork, is this true? I can't support someone selling unlicensed reproductions, that's not legal.

Just about everyone who prints labels has done unlicensed reproductions, save a few homebrewers.

If that's an issue for you, I'd suggest printing your own.

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Wow I'm being ignored for what?  That's real mature.  I'd get it if I were attacking you as a person on here like a few people like to do, but seriously?

It's nothing about you specifically, you\re probably awesome. The ignore feature isn't a penalty, it's just a tool for getting through relevant information in topics more quickly. Some people probably ignore me, that's fine. I can't be interesting to everyone.

I have nothing against you.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Well the Mega Man 2 has the text label strip on it but I'm not sure how vintage that is. Probably not original 1980s but it's coming off anyway.

Aw man.  I gotta say I think that's a mistake.  It's a fairly known/recognized proto in the community. I think you'd be destroying a bit of its history even if it's not an og 80s label.  Your call in the end of course.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

Aw man.  I gotta say I think that's a mistake.  It's a fairly known/recognized proto in the community. I think you'd be destroying a bit of its history even if it's not an og 80s label.  Your call in the end of course.

Yeah its crazy that he would spend 20k? Or whatever he said he spent on it throw a cheesy repro label on it, but its his stuff so whatever. 

I would be leaving that thing exactly as received myself. 

• Agree 6