IGNORED

Where can I get NES labels printed?

On 1/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, Code Monkey said:

I had some custom artwork made (show off later) for my prototype cartridges and I'm wondering where I can get them printed. I can probably just buy sticky sheets and cut them out myself but is there anywhere that will die cut them for me? Is NES-City still functioning and do they take custom files?

I've used retro game cases for some N64 stuff, they all turned out fine. Depending on the unique nature of your labels, some Etsy sellers will reprint your artwork for other customers if you don't tell them not to. So just be aware of that... Here is the info for retro game cases:

https://www.retrogamecases.com/a-detailed-look/labels/

As far as not putting the label on the games, you own them - do what you think looks best. Maybe in the MegaMan 2 proto, carefully peel the label off and keep it in case you decide you want that look back? Labels aren't permanent, you can change your mind down the road.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Only thing could have been better is a straighter cut. 😉  

I know the cut was a touch rough, but considering it was done freehand I don't think it was that bad lol.  I'm constantly evolving the process though, and the cuts are getting better.  

5 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

@the_wizard_666 offered to make some for you a couple posts up - @Tanooki vouched for him. Maybe try out someone here first!

I'm also local to him, though the last time he dealt with me was for dumping protos and I took an inordinate amount of time with them, so he may be worrying about that.  He did PM me though, so he could just be checking the options and picking what works best for him.  I would expect no more from anyone else.  

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It's nothing about you specifically, you\re probably awesome. The ignore feature isn't a penalty, it's just a tool for getting through relevant information in topics more quickly. Some people probably ignore me, that's fine. I can't be interesting to everyone.

I have nothing against you.

Not really a response to you so much as letting @Tanooki know that this is likely exactly the case.  Unlike many people here, you aren't much of a social poster, and since his posts tend to be more in that vein and less pure information, on your end it's completely understandable.  That kind of jives with how the couple direct interactions we've had have went too.  You tend to be straight to the point, so with the style of Tanookis posts, I can see why you would be disinterested.  That said, I would consider unblocking not just him, but anyone blocked for similar reasons, as by doing so you can miss the chance for some quality information that way.  But that's your call.

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Yeah its crazy that he would spend 20k? Or whatever he said he spent on it throw a cheesy repro label on it, but its his stuff so whatever. 

I would be leaving that thing exactly as received myself. 

Yeah, I agree.  That label has provenance, even if it's not original to the cart.  The bare carts I get the desire to put a pretty label on it, but one that already has a well known label that can make the proto easily authenticated online probably shouldn't be altered.  But as you said, it's his to do with as he will, just figured I would throw in my two cents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It's nothing about you specifically, you\re probably awesome. The ignore feature isn't a penalty, it's just a tool for getting through relevant information in topics more quickly. Some people probably ignore me, that's fine. I can't be interesting to everyone.

I have nothing against you.

Ahh strange, don't get it how it helps but, ok.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That label has provenance, even if it's not original to the cart.  The bare carts I get the desire to put a pretty label on it, but one that already has a well known label that can make the proto easily authenticated online probably shouldn't be altered. 

The label in question, if it's the Megaman 2 proto, is one made with a label maker. It's literally a white strip with "Megaman 2 Proto" on it. I believe he got it from the Nolans, but no idea if they put it on, or if the maker did, or anyone in between. The Nolans might know, but I can see why he wants to replace it.

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The label in question, if it's the Megaman 2 proto, is one made with a label maker. It's literally a white strip with "Megaman 2 Proto" on it. I believe he got it from the Nolans, but no idea if they put it on, or if the maker did, or anyone in between. The Nolans might know, but I can see why he wants to replace it.

I asked when I bought it, I believe they didn't remember how it got on there.

15 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Yeah its crazy that he would spend 20k? Or whatever he said he spent on it throw a cheesy repro label on it, but its his stuff so whatever. 

I would be leaving that thing exactly as received myself. 

I'd probably do the same, though I'd rub it across my arse and balls first.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, Code Monkey said:

Well I'm back from Dollarama and ready to try this out!

IMG_20230113_140147.jpg

Those laminating sheets are gonna be way too thick man.  I've looked at them, and quickly ruled them out because they are about three times heavier than the ones I use.  In fact, the pack of 3 from the dollar store you got weighs more than the pack of 10 i got at Walmart.  The labels should be okay though, there's nothing really special there.  Not sure what the tube is so that may be entirely unnecessary. And if you're using the rulers to help cut straight, you should've bought one of the metal ones.  The knife blade will chew the shit out of the plastic ones.  Best of luck, but had I known you were looking for advice on doing it yourself, I would've gladly gone more in depth about the mats and the process than I did.

Oh, and here's a tip - test print on a regular sheet of paper first.  The labels cost more than plain paper, and the colors may or may not match what prints out.  It took me forever to get that balancing act figured out so the printout matched the screen.

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Those laminating sheets are gonna be way too thick man.  I've looked at them, and quickly ruled them out because they are about three times heavier than the ones I use.  In fact, the pack of 3 from the dollar store you got weighs more than the pack of 10 i got at Walmart.  The labels should be okay though, there's nothing really special there.  Not sure what the tube is so that may be entirely unnecessary. And if you're using the rulers to help cut straight, you should've bought one of the metal ones.  The knife blade will chew the shit out of the plastic ones.  Best of luck, but had I known you were looking for advice on doing it yourself, I would've gladly gone more in depth about the mats and the process than I did.

Oh, and here's a tip - test print on a regular sheet of paper first.  The labels cost more than plain paper, and the colors may or may not match what prints out.  It took me forever to get that balancing act figured out so the printout matched the screen.

Thanks, I welcome any information you have. They were way too thick but I wanted to practice for $3. The tube is the laminate you put on book covers which I'm thinking might be even thicker.

I'm going to order the thinner Fellowes stuff from Amazon as well as the roller cutter and mat. I didn't know Walmart sold it though, I'll check them out this week.

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Also, shouldn't this thread be in the "workshop" area of the site? Really doesn't seem to fit here at all.

He was initially looking for a place to buy the labels from.  When he found out it could be a DIY thing, he figured he'd try it out.  Pretty sure this was the right section for the initial post.  And if not, I'm sure a mod would've moved it by now if it really mattered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Thanks, I welcome any information you have. They were way too thick but I wanted to practice for $3. The tube is the laminate you put on book covers which I'm thinking might be even thicker.

I'm going to order the thinner Fellowes stuff from Amazon as well as the roller cutter and mat. I didn't know Walmart sold it though, I'll check them out this week.

I can't speak for the Fellowes stuff, but quality wise it's probably just as good as the Avery that I use.  The roll you got should be the right thickness, but still won't work, as I'm pretty sure its completely non adhesive.  I used to volunteer in the school library in the 90s, and one of my jobs was to put that shit on all the hardcover books.  

Are you using an ink jet or a laser printer?  I can't speak for the former, but with my laser its easy to smudge the print-out if I don't spray it down.  I do two coats of Mod Podge glossy acrylic spray to seal it.  One coat probably would suffice, but I like to be certain.  It gives it a bit of extra sheen and keeps the toner from smudging.  

Anyway, if you have any problems, feel free to hit my inbox.  It's a pretty simple process, but it has a few spots that can go awry.