IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

20231013_203608.jpg.c95a78b761eedb4eaf71e2a32cdcdccf.jpg

20231013_203529.jpg.eb0ebc2dbed02ef54bb13434389431ff.jpg

Race America is done. Overall I quite enjoyed it! It has pretty good controls for a racing game. Perhaps too good, as you don't even need to slow down to take turns. I like that even when facing the toughest opponent you always have a chance to make a comeback as long as you don't screw up too badly. In some other NES racing games I've played, once you fall behind you're pretty much toast.

13 hours ago, TheGameDisplay said:

Race America is done. Overall I quite enjoyed it! It has pretty good controls for a racing game. Perhaps too good, as you don't even need to slow down to take turns. I like that even when facing the toughest opponent you always have a chance to make a comeback as long as you don't screw up too badly. In some other NES racing games I've played, once you fall behind you're pretty much toast.

Long time, no see! You seem to be playing through in roughly alphabetic order, but is there some sort of more specific method to your madness? Do you skip games that give you too much trouble?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Long time, no see! You seem to be playing through in roughly alphabetic order, but is there some sort of more specific method to your madness? Do you skip games that give you too much trouble?

I spent nearly the last month beating Q*Bert, as well as the 4 games on both Quattro Adventure and Quattro Arcade. Unfortunately, Q*Bert was already claimed, and I don't see the Quattro games under the Bonus section, so I haven't had much to report!

In November 2021 I started out on an adventure to beat every single North American NES game, including the unlicensed ones. It started as a personal project, something I was just doing for fun because I love the NES and have always wanted to beat more of the games that I own for it, but in 2022 I started sharing some of my adventures on places like YouTube. In November of 2022 I uploaded this video that gives the gist of what's going on, and I'll probably make a similar update video of sorts later this year!

But yes, I'm beating them all in alphabetical order! Even if they don't end up in this thread or on my YouTube channel. I appreciate your interest! 🙂

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 586/677 (bonus games - 68/100)

Fuck All Pro Basketball, I can't figure it out. I'm like 10 games in and haven't even been close to winning any of them. Going anywhere near any opponents, they instantly steal the ball from me, including while actively running. I try to steal from them and my guy doesn't steal, and can't move while stealing so I just fall behind them while they charge directly at the basket.

Then when I get the ball I have to pussy-foot around because if I go anywhere near an opponent, even if they don't steal from me, I get a "charging" foul and they get the ball. Then they score a 3 and I fall even further behind.

Fuck that game.

Someone tell me about all these strategy games, Koei etc. It all seems pretty incomprehensible. Do they follow similar strategies? How do the resources work, trading, combat, etc? It seems like you need a PhD to understand the mechanics, can I figure it all out on my own just by reading the manuals? Any recommendations on a guide, or advice about generally playing these games?

I've got loads of free time, don't mind burning it into longer games and I enjoy strategy games, could be a good fit, but I'm totally lost looking at the UI, resources, maps, opponents, and all the complexity.

I had some meat to thaw out tonight, so it was either sit and stare at the meat for an hour or play this game; therefore:

Jack Nicklaus Greatest 18 Holes Of Major Championship Golf is done.

I think I finished 43 strokes over par, 20 of which occurred on the first hole before I had any idea what I was doing.  I spent the better part of a bakers dozen on hole 8 just putting which is sometimes frustrating in this game.  It's difficult to aim properly and there are a few holes that are on a slope so the ball tends to end up rolling down the hill and you can never tell precisely which directions its slanted just by looking at it.  Other than that it's not too bad.  I've come to like these golf games a bit.  So I might very well play it some more at some point.  It's sort of relaxing compared to almost everything else I tend to play.  Also, you're given the wind's direction but no speed and it doesn't seem to factor in too heavily.  I managed to get a couple of birdies but no eagles...

JACK NICKLAUS MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP GOLF.png

4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

@Khromak

I guess I'll have to do All Pro Basketball again this year. I'll share some specific tips after I re-familiarize myself with it.

I've had thoughts of tackling Gemfire and Shingen the Ruler, but that interface is just... overwhelming. Let's go ahead and tag the master in: @Daniel_Doyce

Of all the Koei games left, Gemfire is by far the easiest. Give it a try man!

I may have some time to do some games around the Thanksgiving holiday. I moved this year and haven't really unpacked anything in the last 10 months.

9 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Of all the Koei games left, Gemfire is by far the easiest. Give it a try man!

I may have some time to do some games around the Thanksgiving holiday. I moved this year and haven't really unpacked anything in the last 10 months.

I've heard that, but I literally don't know where to start on any Koei games. The screen is just full of abbreviated commands and such. It just seems like an indecipherable mess of micromanagement. I've considered playing it straight from start to finish with a walkthrough, but that doesn't have much appeal. 

I watched a video or two last night and read the manual, it seems like maybe the game's systems are forgiving enough that you don't need to be making the perfect decisions with every pop-up and every menu to be successful. Or maybe they were just showing late-game footage, I'm not sure. Either way though, I'm going to take a shot at one of them taking somewhat random guesses at how much food I need to prepare/give away, troops I need to train, where to send them, when to raid/pillage/invade, who to take alliances with, etc. and see how it goes.

There are a ton of different commands and stats and things, but ultimately it seems like if you pick the wrong thing you're still likely to be fine and you'll eventually win anyway because the AI isn't that great at taking advantage of your mistakes. We'll see!

Well, turns out my cartridge of gemfire had a bad save battery, so I had to start all over again this morning. Thankfully with the lessons learned, it wasn't too bad to get caught up. Gemfire is done! 

What a fun game, though admittedly not very challenging. The enemies only attacked me maybe once? And I won every battle I attempted. The turn based tactical combat is pretty interesting, though it could definitely be much faster. I enjoyed this, I'd gladly play it again

Gemfire.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Thanks! Not sure, actually. I've combed over the list a bunch of times and there's not much standing out to me.

I could try more of the Koei games, though they don't seem all that similar (except maybe Romance).

I could probably beat Ninja Gaiden with sword-only, might be a fun challenge!

I still have Attack Animal Gakuen in my Famicom so I might grind that out a bit, but it's pretty unforgiving of mistakes/requires a lot of memorization/practice.

That's about all I can think of from this list, it's pretty scant. If anyone has any ideas of games that are left which are fun and not insanely long/difficult/frustrating, I'm open to suggestions.

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Well, turns out my cartridge of gemfire had a bad save battery, so I had to start all over again this morning. Thankfully with the lessons learned, it wasn't too bad to get caught up. Gemfire is done! 

What a fun game, though admittedly not very challenging. The enemies only attacked me maybe once? And I won every battle I attempted. The turn based tactical combat is pretty interesting, though it could definitely be much faster. I enjoyed this, I'd gladly play it again

Gemfire.jpg

Nicely done! There must be something weird about Koei games because I'm not sure that I own a single one that has a working save battery in it. I found that out the hard way as well when I played my first Koei game, Bandit Kings of Ancient China. It looks like it's saving just fine, but then nope, nothing. Be sure to check that right away if you plan to tackle any others!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 587/677 (bonus games - 68/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 590/677 (bonus games - 68/100)
11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Good to see you around! I thought you might have played in the Ice Hockey or MTPO contests this season after those wild ones we had back in the day!

Hey buddy. I'm gonna try and pop back in here a little bit. I think my highly competitive contest days are over though. 😁

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 591/677 (bonus games - 68/100)

I'm now 20-0 in All-Pro Basketball. I should have this finished in the next few days. Now that I've reacquainted myself specifically, I thought I'd share some tips for @Khromak or anyone else who would care to tackle this in future years:

If you block an opponent's dunk, hold down the D-pad diagonally in the opposite direction for your best rebounding odds. E.g.: If you are blocking from the left, you'll be holding down + right.

The best accuracy for layups seems to be on the left side of the hoop. Dunks are still the most reliable way to score, but I get through the games faster by shooting from the floor.

If a defender is on top of you deep in your own end, try a half-court shot to get the ball out of there before it's stolen. The ball clears into CPU court about 90% of the time, and I have 50%+ odds of having a player in position to make the rebound and get an easy shot in the paint.

The best bet for stealing the ball is to just stand on top of the CPU player holding the ball; there's no need to push buttons. CPU has a bad habit of sometimes just running side to side near half-court. That's a prime spot to steal. You can also sometimes steal by standing in their passing lane, but you're better off standing on top of the ball-holder unless you're specifically anticipating a pass.

Passing is for suckers. It's almost always safer to run all the way up the court with one player. Just try to run away from the nearest defender at a diagonal angle to reduce their odds of stealing. I will only pass if 1) a defender is on top of me and 2) I have a player selected right in front of me who is open.

You can't run out of bounds or across the back court, so don't worry about overcompensating on the D-pad when you're running away from a defender.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips nerdy, I'll probably try that one next year and see what I can do with it. 

Just finished ninja gaiden with sword only for the first time! Screenshot seems silly since unlike sword less zelda there's nothing to show for it, but included nonetheless. 

This was pretty tough but not all that bad. Took about an hour start to finish, probably helps that I have a good deal of experience with the game. I'm not sure what the intention of sword only was, i did use health refills and the hourglass powerup to stop time, but never used any sub weapons on anything.

That was fun and challenging but nowhere near as tough as the megaman buster only imo

20231107_203501.jpg

• Like 1