IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

Quest 64 is finished! What a ride!

I've never felt such a rollercoaster of opinions on a game as I played it before. This game is far from perfect, but I found the unique movement, combat and the leveling system - all of which get a ton of hate - quite fun! 

The game is weird. In some ways good but in many ways not so good. It doesn't have currency and you can't buy items. The game falls into the same routine of Town -> Inn -> Bad Guy in Woods -> Tunnel to Bad Guy -> Boss Fight four times in a row, one for each element with only the occasional miniboss thrown in for variety.

Also, this game reeks of being rushed out the door. So many empty rooms, long, LONG hallways and tunnels that can go on for literal minutes with nothing to interact with, and some don't even have random encounters. Speaking of which, there are way, way too many of those. I have to commend how seamlessly the battles start and how the battlefield looks identical to where you were in the overworld, but every time you do so it gets frustratingly easy to forget which direction you were going. Especially in those minutes-long tunnel parts. I backtracked accidentally countless times and had to watch my compass like a hawk.

By the end of the game, the tunnels and desert portions especially, the combat and long tracking was very, very tiresome. Finding those spirits towards the end of the game was brutal. Additionally, however, the game quickly becomes stupidly easy about halfway through. Magic Barrier makes you basically take 0 Damage for the rest of the game. The last 5 bosses in the game were child's play compared to the few that came before I got that spell. At least it made not being able to buy items not a problem. I had so many healing items by the end of the game I probably could have fought Mammon 5 more times.

All that being said, the game I think was still fun and worth playing. It's mid for sure, but removed from the let down of the late 90s console wars, I found it to be quite enjoyable. The beginning is definitely were the game shines, and the graphics and music are very, very good. I also found the story to not be half bad, even if it does completely rip off the first Final Fantasy.

Overall, I would play this again and wouldn't hate it. It's pretty short for an RPG, too.

20230304_134555.jpg20230304_135141.jpg

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 8

@Splain I’m going to drop Space Station Silicon Valley. I’m loving the game but I don’t have the patience for some of these levels haha. 

I have given Rogue Squadron another go and am doing a lot better this time around. So I’d like to claim that one.

Also, I’ve been chipping away at Paper Mario so I’ll claim that one too just in case.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted

We need to beat about 13 games per month to get this done this year folks, and we have already beaten 4 since the beginning of March!  Let's keep up the good work!  I plan on starting something in the morning.  Haven't decided if it will be wrasslin' or a sporty ball game or something else.  I will post when I decide.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

We need to beat about 13 games per month to get this done this year folks, and we have already beaten 4 since the beginning of March!  Let's keep up the good work!  I plan on starting something in the morning.  Haven't decided if it will be wrasslin' or a sporty ball game or something else.  I will post when I decide.

Ideally folks would start knocking out the longer and/or more painful games. Saves some fun stuff for the end so the back half of the year isn't a total drag.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

Ideally folks would start knocking out the longer and/or more painful games. Saves some fun stuff for the end so the back half of the year isn't a total drag.

You leave Starcraft out of this 😒.

Very true though, hopefully we got some folks working on them, i know I plan on getting starcraft done this month, i keep putting it off so i don't feel horrible for wasting my day 😆.  

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, ikk said:

Gex 64 is done:

cMHqbaxl.jpg

This game took me a while, the camera is the worst enemy in this game. I did enjoy the level design.

Had to call in some backup to get it done 😁

3InB5SRl.jpg

DAMN, YOU WERE A PARROT THIS WHOLE TIME???????????

Also, cool parrot, what is his/her name?  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

That's cool, is she a rescue?  Or you just happen to have a parrot.  Never wanted a bird as a pet, I'm a dog guy, but all pets are cool!

She's not a rescue, I bought her from a hobby breeder 11 years ago. Got her a couple weeks after she hatched.

Grew up with cats, but always liked birds so when I started my first job I started saving up for 1.

Couldn't agree more, all pets are awesome 😄

• Love 1

Events Helper · Posted

I have score 10000 points!

Knife Edge done!

gnRZcwe.jpg

Still fun after playing it several years.  I reccommend everyone tries it at least once.  It's about an hour or more depending on how you do.  I still say you need to 1cc this because it is crazy hard building up your vulcan cannon after death.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I have score 10000 points!

Knife Edge done!

gnRZcwe.jpg

Still fun after playing it several years.  I reccommend everyone tries it at least once.  It's about an hour or more depending on how you do.  I still say you need to 1cc this because it is crazy hard building up your vulcan cannon after death.  

I was just playing this as well!

Great game, but I kept dying to the sphinx in stage 4 🙁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ikk said:

I was just playing this as well!

Great game, but I kept dying to the sphinx in stage 4 🙁

I'm sorry 😞 Sphinx is where the game really, really ramps up.  If you want the points if you can beat it you can have them, I'm just happy someone is playing it!  I actually really like this game and think you should for sure keep at it.  

Usually no one plays it, so i figured i would knock it out!

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

I'm sorry 😞 Sphinx is where the game really, really ramps up.  If you want the points if you can beat it you can have them, I'm just happy someone is playing it!  I actually really like this game and think you should for sure keep at it.  

Usually no one plays it, so i figured i would knock it out!

No worries, you've earned the points! I'm actually glad you beat it so I can give up 😁

Might give it 1 last attempt tomorrow, but then I'll pick up something else.

Are the Rare Replay versions acceptable for Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini?

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ikk said:

No worries, you've earned the points! I'm actually glad you beat it so I can give up 😁

Well, I suggest you do it for next year!  @Splain or @OptOut will have to answer the question about the rare games though.  

Don't know if there's any differences in Blast Corps between the original and rare replay but I just want to say that game is amazing! Probably in my top 10 N64 games. I got 100% when I was a kid/teenager, I was obsessed with it, something so satisfying about crashing into shit and blowing things up haha. Oyster Harbour can go die in a fire though, took me forever to 100% that level.

Also, the requirement on here is to only see the credits doing the main levels, but try and get all golds so you can get to the space levels, they're so much fun.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Brickman said:

Don't know if there's any differences in Blast Corps between the original and rare replay but I just want to say that game is amazing! Probably in my top 10 N64 games. I got 100% when I was a kid/teenager, I was obsessed with it, something so satisfying about crashing into shit and blowing things up haha. Oyster Harbour can go die in a fire though, took me forever to 100% that level.

Also, the requirement on here is to only see the credits doing the main levels, but try and get all golds so you can get to the space levels, they're so much fun.

Now I'm definitely claiming Blast Corps! 😁

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/5/2023 at 2:13 PM, ikk said:

Yeah, my understanding is that they're super faithful to the original N64 games.

Sorry I've been busy and absent. I'm halfway through Blues Brothers 2000 and I'll update the list approximately soonish.

• Like 1

Finished Blast Corps already, awesome game! except for Diamond Sands...

I still want to get all the bonus levels, but I won't be going for all golds. The golds for some of the bonus levels have very strict times and I don't feel like grinding those out.

2dWQKQ3l.jpg

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 181/303
Events Helper · Posted

I think I might be good enough to knock out forsaken, i have been practicing the game and have gotten pretty decent at getting the hard path.  I have been learning and learning the easiest ways to strafe, etc. so I will do bomberman after I finish that!