IGNORED

What is your least favourite first party line up on a Nintendo system?

PekoponTAS

4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

For me it's the Zelda games, Punch Out, and Final Fantasy that I can enjoy any time.  Kirby was alright, but far too long for what it is, and my dislike of the Mario games is well documented. 

This is the hottest take I've heard in a long time. 

The NES did have legendary 3rd party support so in comparison 1st party games may have been just ok to some people. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Wiz's dislike of the Mario games is pretty well known, as he says.

I don't hate the Mario games, but they're definitely not my favorite. Objectively they're great, but not what I consistently return to, and not a franchise in general I rush out to get.

As someone who played a lot of Game Boy Colour, I like plenty of the games Nintendo put out for it. Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, Zelda Oracle of Ages, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, Mario Tennis, Wario Land 3, and Game & Watch Galley 3 were all great. Considering how few games even came out for the GBC, I'd say that's a pretty solid line up for a stop-gap system.

Though it's true that it's still a pretty weak line up compared to every other system. XD

Edited by PekoponTAS

Editorials Team · Posted

I was personally disappointed in the Wii lineup. I played lots of Wii Sports with friends of course, and I liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, but Super Paper Mario, Skyward Sword, Brawl, and Mario Kart all disappointed me. Galaxy 1&2 are fine, but not so great that I'd play either one a second time. I don't think I ever even finished Galaxy 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The NES did have legendary 3rd party support so in comparison 1st party games may have been just ok to some people. 

Oh yeah I've seen that before lol I meant just the overall weak first party lineup on the NES.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wii has my least favorite first-party lineup. It does have a handful of good first-party games (like Super Mario Galaxy), but also a lot of junk, forgettable games, and missed opportunities. I mean come on...Wii Fit? Wii Music? Link's Crossbow Training? No all-new Pikmin game? No F-Zero or Star Fox? And Super Paper Mario, while good, really isn't as good as the first two Paper Mario games. Twilight Princess is better on GameCube.

The NES has the best first-party games.

Edited by MegaMan52

Everyone makes compelling arguments. 

I don’t have the experience some of you have with the GBC or Wii U so I will say that the DS 1st party lineup is the one I prefer the least.

I don’t care much for the remakes of SM64 and DK Racing. Especially the latter.
The two Zelda games turned me right off with forced touch screen controls.

Wild World I find is the most forgettable entry in the AC series. (Also it comes just before New Leaf wich made a huge impression on me).

Not a fan of Mario RPGs that aren’t on SNES. And the DS’ 3rd party support in this category is absolutely stellar.

Metroid Pinball is 100% awesome tho I come back to it many times a year.

So for my personal tastes the DS’ first party line up has more misses than hits.

Depending on whether you count colorized Game Boy ports, resolution-bastardized ports that might be okay on their own terms but that nobody sane is going to choose to play in glorious 160 x 144 in 2023, and stuff Nintendo published but not developed and that they probably had zero involvement in the creation thereof, GBC might not even make it to 25.

Edited by MagusSmurf

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, fox said:

3ds

3D world is solid and Link Between Worlds is good nostalgic remix, but the quality dips pretty sharply after that.

Does it get credit for the N64 ports?  Because I'd call it the platform of choice for those.  And DKC Returns.

And are the Layton.games first or second party, and are we making that distinction in this thread?

And Samus Returns is sweet, naysayers be damned.

28 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

For replayability, I'd say it arguably has the two definitive Advance War games

Those are definitely way up there. For me Kirby Canvas Curse is the # 1 for Nintendo on DS but those are #2 and 3.

...Shame it looks like nobody will ever get to play that remake of 1 and 2 Nintendo made but won't release!