IGNORED

Has traffic/posts and replies slowed down on here?

LeatherRebel5150

9 hours ago, 360collector said:

The whole forum thing is a relic of the past. But its still the best place for lists and actual discussions. The prices have gone insane and that not just because I remember 2010 prices. Its like everyone has gone crazy. Gaming and collecting seems a lot bigger these days so its not recruitment to the hobby that is dying off. BUT is does seem like the masses will rather watch a hype top 10 r@re games video without any rare games shown than go discuss the actual rare games

Unfortunately, it seems some people are more into "give me a follow" or "subscribe" than they are engaging with an actual community. I don't know what it is, but after a pleasant conversation discussing recent sales with someone at a yard sale, picks ups and all that, they simply had no interest in googling VGS or joining it. It was all about promoting themselves and trying to get me to follow them on social media. It's a shame really.

• Agree 3

It's probably because I've been so busy the last few months, been unable to rouse the rabble so much recently! There are only so many topics people can post asking "Hey where's @OptOut?" or "I wonder what @OptOut's up to?" before they get sad and log out to go cry. 😢

Anyway, I think it's just a cyclical thing, there was a big surge of interest in collecting in 2020 and 2021, now we're moving into a more fallow period, but no doubt interest will rise again in time! 🙂

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jonebone said:

Shameless self plug, but I actually have a couple of CIB Game Gear and Sealed Game Gear games ending Sunday!  Haha...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone7/m.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_oac=1&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Dammit, Jone, I have all those already!

• Haha 1

Games collecting is dying. Prices just got too high so people are losing interest.

When (if?) prices come back down, we’ll be back in the game. 

I guess maybe we need to be focusing on trades now. Would be awesome if someone could make an app that functions like gametz.com but with an easy to use interface like Mercari

• Agree 1

I think 2020 as a whole had a lot to do with it. Heated political climate and one wrong comment put people over the edge. Then prices exploded and people started to sell out, pair down or get bitter about the collecting climate. 

The respect for physical media is very niche. It's Switch games, LE/CEs, figures or nothin' among "mainstream" collectors. 

• Like 1

I know I'm not really active on here anymore since I've not collected for a couple years at this point (went from buying about 5-10 retro games a month to just 4 over the past two years, and only have about half a dozen more left I truly want). I'd guess prices are what's driven a lot of people away from the hobby (and by extension VGS). 

It's the same on YouTube too, used to watch at least 50 collecting channels, and of those 50 you'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 still posting, with many of them not even owning collections anymore. I lurk way more than I post, since I don't have much of an insight into current collecting trends anymore (beyond what I hear on Collector's Quest). The community that's on here is great though, love the fact that it's still going - and it fills in the gaps of what's happening in the collecting sphere. 

It's a bit sad to think about, but I view it as a hobby that's largely dissolved and those of us left are the ones that enjoy the playing factor just as much as we do/did collecting.  

Edited by NZCollector
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I always feel like I am not very good at posting so I tend to lurk more.

I stepped away from collecting for a while because it just wasn’t fun anymore.  Set collecting doesn’t really make sense for me anymore either.

I realized I was spending a lot of money for something to just sit on the shelf.  So I changed my collecting habits and am focused on getting either games I want to play or owned as a kid.

To me, and I realize I’m old and probably out of touch, at some point there was a shift where the focus shifted from collecting to collect/play into just making money.  And that shift in community in general (NOT saying that happened here just the collecting community in general) really pushed me away from the community all together for a while.

But I do really enjoy discussing games so I will attempt to be more active in the future.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Also remember, that this isn't just a collecting site.  So if you have a game you want to talk about old or new, make a thread and let's discuss!

I know we have a lot of collectors here, but we also have tons of people who enjoy video games in all kinds of ways.

Started playing God of War Ragnarok and wanna talk about it? Do so!  Interested in an upcoming indie game? Share about it!  Kickstarter that looks cool - sure, all game!

Point being, the community discussions and activities can fluctuate along with changing times and interests, so if there is anything videogame related you wanna talk about, please feel free to share here and discuss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...