IGNORED

What do you do when you've completed your collecting goal(s)?

inasuma

Something I've thought about a lot the past few months. I don't really have any high level collecting goals these days; mainly just one or two games i'm interested in.

Do you sit back and save up for your future (undecided) goals? Do you never run out of goals? Do you sell stuff you don't want anymore?

For me personally, i've been working on separating stuff in my personal collection that I want to keep and stuff I'm thinking about parting with. I have a good pile of games that were replaced by nicer copies, in addition to games I bought back when I didn't realize it was an undesirable variant.

Another thing I tend to do is plan for displays and move into tangential hobbies like advertisements, TCGs, manage my lists of games (which never ends anyway), etc. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I've never really had a concrete "finish line" in any of my collecting so I've never been in that situation. My goal is to own the games I like and/or imagine myself wanting to replay, which is an ever-moving target even if I were to restrict it to retro games, as there are plenty of old games I've yet to try out myself. 

• Like 2

Play 'em and beat 'em 😛

Actually, as I started getting really close to the end of the NES set, homebrews suddenly became much more appealing, to the point where hearing about a new game gets me excited these days.  As long as people keep making NES games, I'll keep buying them, so I guess I'll never truly be done...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's an interesting thought. I've never had goals, just passing "hey this is interesting". For myself and many, when you are done with one thing you move on to the next. For me I moved to arcade stuff I moved on to arcade collecting and reproducing boards and other boards because I found I enjoyed it more.

What do I do when I ultimately grow to hate everything electronic or can't do it anymore? Travel and enjoy something else.

• Like 2

When I finished my NES set, it went from a priority to a side activity. Now I'm interested in variants and little additions to the set, but my primary goal is to just play and enjoy games in general with a focus on newer stuff. I did start a couple other sets, but not with nearly the same fervor or obsession. Collecting is a weird two-headed beast that is fun, but not fun, if that makes any sense.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump - thought this was new before replying  

Once the goals were achieved, pretty much stopped altogether. Weirdly enough it wasn't hard to adjust from collecting one day to not the next. I was borderline obsessed with collecting as a teenager, which is strange the bug left so easily. With basically every goal achieved, I've begun looking into other hobbies. My new car has a CD player (previous one didn't), so been buying RnB albums from the 2000s and reliving that area of nostalgia. It doesn't quite give the same feeling as games from my childhood gave, but definitely do look into other hobbies if you want to scratch some more nostalgia. 🙂 

Edited by NZCollector