IGNORED

DuckTales 2 Appreciation Thread

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I strongly prefer the first one.

Same.  I have both, but the second one while it looks a slight bit nicer and depending on taste in music that too, the gameplay just isn't as good.  It's a little too early on the whole metroid/sotn/wahtever style format of exit and re-enter stages to go further mechanic.  It's confusing and stiff, you having to go decently into a stage to get a locked off part that has you go out and elsewhere to inch forward again.  It gets just a little grating and the stages I felt were a little less fun and creative too.

Funny thing is, opposite with the other infamous sequel, rescue rangers 2.  It's short, as easy as the original, but it's a whole lot of fun with improved mechanics and stage design.  The only issue if price (using a kit, rom, etc) isn't a factor is the distance.  RR1 way overstays its welcome as it gets super long and repetitive with no pass/save mechanic.  The sequel you can finish in like 45min yet it's so much more fun.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Same.  I have both, but the second one while it looks a slight bit nicer and depending on taste in music that too, the gameplay just isn't as good.  It's a little too early on the whole metroid/sotn/wahtever style format of exit and re-enter stages to go further mechanic.  It's confusing and stiff, you having to go decently into a stage to get a locked off part that has you go out and elsewhere to inch forward again.  It gets just a little grating and the stages I felt were a little less fun and creative too.

Funny thing is, opposite with the other infamous sequel, rescue rangers 2.  It's short, as easy as the original, but it's a whole lot of fun with improved mechanics and stage design.  The only issue if price (using a kit, rom, etc) isn't a factor is the distance.  RR1 way overstays its welcome as it gets super long and repetitive with no pass/save mechanic.  The sequel you can finish in like 45min yet it's so much more fun.

Feel like I'm in the minority when I say that RR2 is just not as good as its predecessor. Never really liked that one due to some really really slow boss fights, some stages like the Future Stage, Country Stage and some others that I can't remember are just bland. Felt like a step backwards and is just an overall boring slog.

DT2 on the other hand is what a sequel should be, adding upon the original and some new gimmicks like being able to hang on chains and pull blocks. I much prefer DT2 but the ost in 1 keeps me coming back to that one wayyyy more.

• Agree 1

DT2 has nothing in favor for it, it's largely a step back.  RR1 was way too many stages, quite a few felt pretty bland and samey to a fault.  Not sure how anyone but nostalgia beer goggles could think the original was better and I grew up with it.  I just got RR2 this year due to a lucky local find as I had no intent on trying it before hand due to the cost.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

DT2 has nothing in favor for it, it's largely a step back.  RR1 was way too many stages, quite a few felt pretty bland and samey to a fault.  Not sure how anyone but nostalgia beer goggles could think the original was better and I grew up with it.  I just got RR2 this year due to a lucky local find as I had no intent on trying it before hand due to the cost.

Imo DT2 has things in favor for it, stages are much more fleshed out with exploring than DT1, the new mechanics are very fun, it's a lot snappier and smoother in control than the original, DT2 also rewards you for finding all the maps with a secret Underground stage and you fight the T-1000 as the final boss. Mother fuckin DuckTales 2 Terminator final boss, come ON man

Edited by Avgn Gamer
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

I need to play DT2 again. Like most, I preferred the first but from what I recall the only reason for that was the DT2 soundtrack not being as good and it was at least on par with the original in every other way.

RR2 otoh is easily in the top-10 NES soundtracks for me and possibly top-10 NES games overall. Excellent sequel to the very first game I ever owned

DuckTales 2 improves on most of the areas where the first game lacked. Both are good games, and both are kinda underwhelming at the end of the day, but the second one is clearly a better game in every way. 

The Transylvania stage in Ducktales 1 is basically a non-stage, and you need to play it twice for no good reason. The game already doesn't have a lot of stages, so if the sequel didn't exist to fill in for that, it would have been a big waste. 

I actually sat on a cart-only copy of a game for years that I don't know where I got. When I eventually got around to playing it, I immediately went out and ordered a proper Japanese boxed copy of it, because I liked it so much. 

But... if only Capcom had made the game(s) twice as long, and a lot more challenging. Or maybe just a third game which were. 

Rescue Rangers 2 suffers from the same problem but to a much higher degree. Super lazy sequel which is over in minutes the first time you try it. The only place it excels is in the graphics department, I'm surprised to see people defending it. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

DuckTales 2 improves on most of the areas where the first game lacked. Both are good games, and both are kinda underwhelming at the end of the day, but the second one is clearly a better game in every way. 

The Transylvania stage in Ducktales 1 is basically a non-stage, and you need to play it twice for no good reason. The game already doesn't have a lot of stages, so if the sequel didn't exist to fill in for that, it would have been a big waste. 

I actually sat on a cart-only copy of a game for years that I don't know where I got. When I eventually got around to playing it, I immediately went out and ordered a proper Japanese boxed copy of it, because I liked it so much. 

But... if only Capcom had made the game(s) twice as long, and a lot more challenging. Or maybe just a third game which were. 

Rescue Rangers 2 suffers from the same problem but to a much higher degree. Super lazy sequel which is over in minutes the first time you try it. The only place it excels is in the graphics department, I'm surprised to see people defending it. 

That's what I'm sayin' RR2 sucks ass

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Ah yeah, I've seen that one before. What weirds me out is that there's a blue capcom border DT2 floating around and seems legit. 

I like both DuckTales games but 2 wins because the secrets are harder to find and more meaningful. Searching the levels for the secrets to beat the game actually feels like an adventure. It's also one of my favorite NES box arts.

RR2 definitely kinda sux though. You know what Rescue Rangers didn't need more of? Dialogue and cut scenes. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

I like both DuckTales games but 2 wins because the secrets are harder to find and more meaningful. Searching the levels for the secrets to beat the game actually feels like an adventure. It's also one of my favorite NES box arts.

RR2 definitely kinda sux though. You know what Rescue Rangers didn't need more of? Dialogue and cut scenes. 

And short shitty ass stages that don't go anywhere, Fuck RR2

Edited by Avgn Gamer
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2022 at 1:23 AM, DefaultGen said:

Love the secrets in both. The puzzles in 2 were easier.