IGNORED

What is with your tee?

Tabonga

Most of my tshirts with graphics are band shirts.

Joke shirts are pointless to me. Art shirts are usually meaningless, but I do have one that was just too cool to pass up, and a couple from specific artists. (One on my local scene; and one who created an underground comic I really like - got that after searching online to see what he's been up to and found his teepublic profile. I wish I had included a note about the comic book in my order. I might have gotten a personal note out of that, or at least made him feel good about his old passion project).

Videogame-wise, I've got one period piece from the original Legend of Zelda but that's it. 

I admire some of the licensed designs reproducing old comic book covers that Target carries, but I have yet to buy one. Speaking of comics, I do have two Batman logo shirts from '89 that I snagged when I worked at a vintage clothing store. A Batman Beyond logo shirt would be nice. Saw one at the goth store around that same time, but by the time I realized I wanted it, it was gone. I'd like to have a Captain Marvel (Shazam!) logo shirt like I did ~30 years ago. Bought that one at a comic book store I frequented. 

I see a whole lot of bootleg shirts in social media ads and eBay lately, and they're like $30. It's ridiculous. Fandom /nostalgia and exploitation of such are out of control, but I guess people are buying? 

2 hours ago, Link said:

I see a whole lot of bootleg shirts in social media ads and eBay lately, and they're like $30. It's ridiculous. Fandom /nostalgia and exploitation of such are out of control, but I guess people are buying? 

Most of these were in the $30 range - I do like to wear colorful shirts and  I love fantasy/scifi/fringe (such as cryptid stuff) things rather than plain colored shirts.  I rarely buy new clothes and I don't mind indulging myself.

And I get a surprising number of total strangers complimenting me on my shirts when I go places.

• Like 1

Most of my graphic t's are bands and theme park stuff, love roller coaster vintage shirts, but I got into tie dyeing so now it's a lot of that, as well as any high thread count soft comfy fancy tshirts I can find at the thrift or super on sale like Ralph lauren polo or Tommy Bahama, bonus points if it's dyeable ahha I don't really care for the brands but the higher thread count shirts are soooo comfy and I always thought people were crazy for paying more for em but after finding some at the thrift I am sold on them just hate the retail price. 

52 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Most of my graphic t's are bands and theme park stuff, love roller coaster vintage shirts, but I got into tie dyeing so now it's a lot of that, as well as any high thread count soft comfy fancy tshirts I can find at the thrift or super on sale like Ralph lauren polo or Tommy Bahama, bonus points if it's dyeable ahha I don't really care for the brands but the higher thread count shirts are soooo comfy and I always thought people were crazy for paying more for em but after finding some at the thrift I am sold on them just hate the retail price. 

A couple of manufacturers I like are Liquid Blue and Mountain.  Some of the lesser brands are just horrible - not much cotton, problematic sizing and they cling a lot.

If I am getting just plain t shirts I usually opt for the Army Navy surplus store and get good quality Hanes or Dickies.

• Like 1

When I started dyeing I would use Gildan brand cheap shirts and they are so scratchy and boxy until worn a ton of times and beaten down by washing/drying. They almost always are too long for me and I'm like 6' 3". Hanes are pretty soft though, very cozy. I used to really like finding old 2000's era American apparel blank tees, the made in the usa stuff before they got bought out was so soft and comfy. Lot of bands printed merch on AA in that time period and the quality was great.

When I was younger (we won't discuss how long ago that was) the only way to get neat t shirts was to go to shops (which were all over) that would have a large stock of different color/size shirts and they would use iron on transfers of various sorts to put on them.

They were pretty spiffy (back then anyway) but it only took a few washes and the transfers woud begin to split and after that they would begin to flake.  The transfers disintegrated long before the shirts began to wear out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

When I started dyeing I would use Gildan brand cheap shirts and they are so scratchy and boxy until worn a ton of times and beaten down by washing/drying. They almost always are too long for me and I'm like 6' 3". Hanes are pretty soft though, very cozy. I used to really like finding old 2000's era American apparel blank tees, the made in the usa stuff before they got bought out was so soft and comfy. Lot of bands printed merch on AA in that time period and the quality was great.

I usually wear Gildan plain black t shirts from Wal Mart that are like $5 each. I make sure wash them with extra fabric softener when I first get them and that seems to make them more comfortable. They seem to last forever too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I usually wear Gildan plain black t shirts from Wal Mart that are like $5 each. I make sure wash them with extra fabric softener when I first get them and that seems to make them more comfortable. They seem to last forever too.

Maybe the colors are better because the white ones are super inconsistent, I used to like Gildan but I think their quality has gone down a bit, I really liked their socks though too but can't find em around here anymore.

Don't get me wrong, they'll do fine but once I got on the higher thread count I started comparing the two and want to add more fancy stuff just cause it's so comfy.

@Tabongaback then I bet the quality of the cotton was much softer too, a lot of general older stuff I have found has been really soft

Edited by drxandy

4 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Maybe the colors are better because the white ones are super inconsistent, I used to like Gildan but I think their quality has gone down a bit, I really liked their socks though too but can't find em around here anymore.

Don't get me wrong, they'll do fine but once I got on the higher thread count I started comparing the two and want to add more fancy stuff just cause it's so comfy.

Maybe it depends where you buy them. I've gotten the t shirts from Dollar General and Walmart that sounded like the ones you were talking about, but I ordered some off of the Walmart website that I believe came from a third party seller and they were made of a lot heavier cotton and a lot softer. I used to get the socks too but I haven't seen them in a store in some time either.

• Like 1

@Bearcat-DougYeah I just got them at Joann fabrics when they would do 4-5 for $10 sales and stocked up, can't beat 2.50 each or less. They haven't done those sales in a while so I'm glad I grabbed a bunch when I did couple years back and the ones with tags were usually better quality than then tagless at the time

11 minutes ago, drxandy said:

@Bearcat-DougYeah I just got them at Joann fabrics when they would do 4-5 for $10 sales and stocked up, can't beat 2.50 each or less. They haven't done those sales in a while so I'm glad I grabbed a bunch when I did couple years back and the ones with tags were usually better quality than then tagless at the time

That may still be the case because I remember the ones I got two for $5 at the store were tagless and rough, but the ones I have now do have the tags and they do seem like they are a lot better quality. I'm fairly sure that these are the ones I ordered last time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gildan-Mens-Ultra-Cotton-T-Shirt/393232562?athbdg=L1600

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drxandy said:

@Tabongaback then I bet the quality of the cotton was much softer too, a lot of general older stuff I have found has been really soft

They were usually good quailty shirts - you also had the advantage of being able to see and feel them before having the transfers put on.

I still wear graphic tees all the time. A few of my favourites...  Some I've had for a long time like the first Megadeth one is from 90-92 that my bro owned and handed down. Just picked up the Predator T last year. I've also been getting a few of these vintage Magic Johnson brand tees that were big in the 90s but they are expensive in some cases... Bonus doggy pic. 

QfO06xa.jpeg

Tqf2w7J.jpeg

OdZuU0v.jpeg

scYNFK2.jpeg

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/25/2022 at 11:30 AM, drxandy said:

Yes I hate Gildans! Always wrong. But funny I'm shorter than you and have never found them too long. Too wide, is usually my issue. On top of the uncomfortable material. 

I've never had American Apparel. I'll keep an eye out for them. I have a Madewell that I got at the thrift store and I'd say the brand name is accurate.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, Tabonga said:

They were pretty spiffy (back then anyway) but it only took a few washes and the transfers woud begin to split and after that they would begin to flake.  The transfers disintegrated long before the shirts began to wear out.

That must be what Death used. True to their original time period, lol. I was so excited to see this band, and I bought a shirt... the image faded to almost nothing with the very first wash! 😞 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Link said:

Yes I hate Gildans! Always wrong. But funny I'm shorter than you and have never found them too long. Too wide, is usually my issue. On top of the uncomfortable material. 

I've never had American Apparel. I'll keep an eye out for them. I have a Madewell that I got at the thrift store and I'd say the brand name is accurate.

That must be what Death used. True to their original time period, lol. I was so excited to see this band, and I bought a shirt... the image faded to almost nothing with the very first wash! 😞 

Hand wash (or turn them inside out and put them in a fine mesh laundry bag) and hang dry shirts that you want to preserve in like new condition

• Like 1