IGNORED

I Got Kicked Out Of A Game Store For Lowballing The Owner...

Interesting.

I had a discussion with an Australian gent who was frustrated that he couldn't negotiate a better deal for a TV or something at Best Buy. I had to explain that to do it in the US, you have to do price matches, call around, etc. It's a lot more work, but the floor flunkies at BB can't just shave off $50 or so just because you ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

the floor flunkies at BB can't just shave off $50 or so just because you ask.

This is by far the biggest misconception when it comes to price negotiations.  They absolutely can shave $50 off the price.  It's just a question of whether or not they will.  Their policies may dictate that they shouldn't without meeting certain thresholds for price matching.  But at the end of the day, the store absolutely has the ability to change the price.  Speaking form experience.  

13 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This is by far the biggest misconception when it comes to price negotiations.  They absolutely can shave $50 off the price.  It's just a question of whether or not they will.  Their policies may dictate that they shouldn't without meeting certain thresholds for price matching.  But at the end of the day, the store absolutely has the ability to change the price.  Speaking form experience.  

Sure, the manager can, and they might do it if it's a model they need to get out the door or meet their quarterly quota, but the high schooler in the blue vest who is there to watch for shoplifters? They can't. And it's definitely not something to be expected, you have to catch them at the right moment.

The dude I was talking to was under the impression that any price is up for negotiation at any time, because where he was from, it was.

Conversely, in the Middle East, you can haggle down to dollars, even the equivalent of pennies, on just about anything. It's how they roll. I had a business friend doing a deal with someone from the Middle East, and they had a heck of a time agreeing on a seven figure project that came down to the last $100.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Excellent conversation. Great input.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:31 PM, RH said:

But I think a fair follow up is really how low is too low.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:31 PM, RH said:

So, a percent, how low is too low compared to market values?

Yeah, well... after he was terribly offended by my first "offer", it was difficult to get back onto the rails. I straight up said "You tell me what you want for the stuff and I will tell you yes or no." 😅

On 8/23/2022 at 4:41 PM, phart010 said:

If you ban customers over breaking some unwritten code of honor, then you have less people to give you money

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Where does this guy think I'm going to buy games for this system? 

18 hours ago, Makar said:

That owner sounds like a giant clown. Wouldn’t be surprised if his store closes in the next year or so. Doesn’t seem like he knows how to run a business or interact with customers 

Haha, it was just so odd because I couldn't have explained myself or asked for a price any clearer. 

Just tell me how much god damned money you want for this untested shit! 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Excellent conversation. Great input.

Yeah, well... after he was terribly offended by my first "offer", it was difficult to get back onto the rails. I straight up said "You tell me what you want for the stuff and I will tell you yes or no." 😅

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Where does this guy think I'm going to buy games for this system? 

Haha, it was just so odd because I couldn't have explained myself or asked for a price any clearer. 

Just tell me how much god damned money you want for this untested shit! 

Lol I really don’t understand that owner.

I had a kinda similar situation years ago where  this store’s games were all like 50-100% over the going rate and I pointed that out to them and they really didn’t like that and told me not to come back to the store. Like sorry bro, maybe don’t price the $50 smash bros game for $100?

• Haha 1

You know I'm a little surprised this has kept going, and now we're getting related stories.  I was wondering if this would grow or fizzle out so I didn't add more.

I've had to deal with a mental patient game store owner that by every definition of the word went insane over the greed of the gaming market, though he already had a bit of a crazy streak before hand, it just magnified, a lot into utter paranoia.  I've mentioned before in the past (on NA even) I had a business shop owner I'd consider a friend(and he did too) at a store out west, the one I got a lot of my great goodies cheap and local before ebay really took off 20 years ago.  When I left town there in the end of 2002 I'd go back to down every year basically to visit until I had moved back there in 2009 (when I found NA.)  Always friendly, he'd eventually let me go into the back, go through the off floor goodies, mess with the NFS stuff, we'd chat for hours, even gave me a freebie now and again too.  When I got back to town that continued, but when the prices started to get deranged in that period, so did he.  His prices on commons went to 2-4x over what ebay paid was, he's just sit on stuff, and his historically cheap area would lessen in size and the stock went down a bit more but anything hot first party, hot 1st/3rd party stuff got premiums, before it was chic online he started charging by the piece for sleeves, manuals, maps/posters, boxes, even the petty stuff (bags and blocks.)

He would before deal a bit on trades or negotiate a little on price when it wasn't just some already $5-10 game.  But he always had a rule if you come in and steal or disrespected the place, tried to steal from the counter(step in on a walk in trade/sale) you're banned.  But when he started to not just include everything in the price, pricing all fairly, being friendly in general, it got bad, weird, and uncomfortable fast.  He started to kick out people who had been repeats for years, even decades, because of anything he perceived as a slight if it happened in front of him or there was evidence of it. If you tried to argue any of his prices or dare show the real value, get out!

You get the idea, well that friend of 15 years turned on me one day.  I used to stop in on the way home from the flea market, we'd talk, he'd like to see my finds, and I'd buy something if the price was ok still.  Some goods I saw, I within a week took an image for NA finds thread immediately but then stuffed it on craigslist looking to buy games from others or trades.  Someone (I never saw it) supposedly took the image, made a post on craigslist, pointed out his declining nasty behavior, pointing out him tricking locals and taking advantage of people, and listed his prices vs actual ebay/retail.  I go in the following weekend, one step in the door ok, second step in he sees me and yells at me to get out.  Confused I just looked and took another step, you're banned, get the fuck out.  I'm like what, seriously?  And I get 'you know what you did, get the fuck out you're banned.  Him being pissed and me confused I left, called him a bit later, two hung up calls later and me trying to get him to listen that's how I found out about it.  I told him what I did and didn't do(shit talk) because I wouldn't be stupid enough to show you the games I just got to attack him then show up as I'm not stupid.  He relented that was probably true, but the kicker, just because it probably is true, since I can't prove it, and you can't either, you're still banned...don't come back.

A-hole threw away at 15 year relationship.  The great news I learned, he's permanently out of business I think sometime around 3-4 years ago.  Reading the reviews a majority of them from both one time visits or old regulars you can see a history of similar comments.  Nasty if you don't treat owner like he's all knowing, hot temper, insane prices, attitude, etc.  There's a new game store there now called Throw Back Games under another owner, they're friendly and nicer priced, also a clean store too looking into it.  Game Adx was dirty, cramped, dusty games, and the owner went insane, glad they failed, people like that need a lesson.  Any store owner who brags about their best customers being milf's with screaming kids to shut them up, and stupid marines stuck on base in boot camp that keep the lights on can die (yes the last time I was in there, before the parting, he said this.)  Suck it John.

• Wow! 3

Administrator · Posted
On 8/24/2022 at 9:10 PM, Tulpa said:

Interesting.

I had a discussion with an Australian gent who was frustrated that he couldn't negotiate a better deal for a TV or something at Best Buy. I had to explain that to do it in the US, you have to do price matches, call around, etc. It's a lot more work, but the floor flunkies at BB can't just shave off $50 or so just because you ask.

He might have been used to non-chain appliance stores too.

Best Buy might not let you haggle, but Dave's Electronics Emporium and Warehouse just may.  

Last time I got kicked out physically was when the owner priced me two games more than the sum of each game separately. It was obviously a mistake on his side, but when I pointed it out he got made and pushed me out, telling me he had to close and I was not welcome there. Last time I went there, frankly too bad, he had lots of good stuff. He has long since closed down and who knows where his stuff went.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, Tabonga said:

I once offered $35 on a $40 item which hadn't sold in forever.  Probably because it was overpriced by, say, about $5.  The seller cleverly countered with a $39.99 offer.   Why bother with accepting offers if you can't deal with legit ones - they could have just as easily declined the offer without the cheekiness.

I’ve been buying off eBay lately and I don’t see why some people even bother putting a Best Offer.

If I make you an offer It’s basically an open parlay to negotiate.  I am effectively saying I won’t pay asking but let’s see if we can come to an agreement.

I offered 80% on one item and the guy responded with “I’m looking for higher than asking”.  That’s just silly to me and they need to adjust their BIN price accordingly.

I once offered a seller $10 on a $15 item.  Then $12. Then $13.  They simply declined every offer.  I don’t know if I pissed them off or what.  If you are firm on price put a BIN and leave it at that.

@AirVillain When a store owner says make me an offer I consider nothing off the table.  If you don’t feel comfortable making an offer I’d go with “I’m sure you know how much you want for it.  Why don’t you tell me and we’ll start there.”

I also use that approach when negotiating salary as well.  😂 

Edited by Lago
Tagging and responding to OP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Lago said:

I’ve been buying off eBay lately and I don’t see why some people even bother putting a Best Offer.

If I make you an offer It’s basically an open parlay to negotiate.  I am effectively saying I won’t pay asking but let’s see if we can come to an agreement.

I offered 80% on one item and the guy responded with “I’m looking for higher than asking”.  That’s just silly to me and they need to adjust their BIN price accordingly.

I once offered a seller $10 on a $15 item.  Then $12. Then $13.  They simply declined every offer.  I don’t know if I pissed them off or what.  If you are firm on price put a BIN and leave it at that.

@AirVillain When a store owner says make me an offer I consider nothing off the table.  If you don’t feel comfortable making an offer I’d go with “I’m sure you know how much you want for it.  Why don’t you tell me and we’ll start there.”

I also use that approach when negotiating salary as well.  😂 

I know, you're right.... that's a great place to start. But... I'm sure I actually said those exact words to him. My original post kind of glosses over the conversation but as I mentioned I did ask him multiple times, in various ways, how much he wanted. 

It was most interesting because it was like he was challenging me to offend him with my offer. 😅

14 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Whole story sounds weird to me, if it's as told I'd not want to shop there anyways and would have to him to pound sand.

I think I understand what you're saying... I mean, the fact that he couldn't pull together any working systems was not a good start, haha... But it was a small town video game store so I thought I'd give him a chance.

At that point, I WANTED to tell him to pound sand, but I was quite interested to see where the situation was headed. 

🙃

On 11/14/2022 at 11:05 AM, AirVillain said:

I know, you're right.... that's a great place to start. But... I'm sure I actually said those exact words to him. My original post kind of glosses over the conversation but as I mentioned I did ask him multiple times, in various ways, how much he wanted. 

It was most interesting because it was like he was challenging me to offend him with my offer. 😅

I think I understand what you're saying... I mean, the fact that he couldn't pull together any working systems was not a good start, haha... But it was a small town video game store so I thought I'd give him a chance.

At that point, I WANTED to tell him to pound sand, but I was quite interested to see where the situation was headed. 

🙃

Phone autocorrected told to, to. Whoops, but you got the gist either way. I guess at this junction in the hobby I couldn't care less about dealing with scum sellers, I've always found it far less stressful to just work with reputable sorts even if it cost a bit more. 

14 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Phone autocorrected told to, to. Whoops, but you got the gist either way. I guess at this junction in the hobby I couldn't care less about dealing with scum sellers, I've always found it far less stressful to just work with reputable sorts even if it cost a bit more. 

Haha, all good. Funny when a few words get mixed around from autocorrect and messes everything up.

I hear ya. I literally said to him "I don't mind paying a high price if I know the system works. Right now, I have no idea if these systems work, nor do you have any hook-ups for it."

So yeah, while the thought of dealing with small store owners is great, if they're jerks about it then fuck that. I agree it's just more annoying to deal with them.

There's another store much closer to me and the guy is cool. He's pretty straight so sometimes he comes off a little rude/not caring, but once you understand that's just his personality I think he's cool. He's just not overly outgoing. I spent all my cash there. 

2 hours ago, Multiplat Cat said:

I don't go to local game stores anymore because of the icky, creepy people who run the shops and the fact they're always trying to scam people. I am so glad now that I can safely shop online without having to argue with them.

Same here, aside from one but it's not a game shop more than multiple collectibles and they have a good forward facing setup so they don't ruin their national standing on stuff around multiple TCGs.  I just go to half price and game exchange, sometimes I win, more times I don't, but at least it's not all slime.

• 5 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:40 PM, Tanooki said:
On 11/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, Multiplat Cat said:

I don't go to local game stores anymore because of the icky, creepy people who run the shops and the fact they're always trying to scam people. I am so glad now that I can safely shop online without having to argue with them.

Same here, aside from one but it's not a game shop more than multiple collectibles and they have a good forward facing setup so they don't ruin their national standing on stuff around multiple TCGs.  I just go to half price and game exchange, sometimes I win, more times I don't, but at least it's not all slime.

Yeah... there's one around here and it just depends on who is working.

I find the attitude from some game store employees so odd.... like.... you MUST be into games or SOME of this dorky shit, you WORK in the game store??? Why do you always gotta treat me like an outcast for shopping in YOUR store????

Hahaha.... Just depends on who's working. There's one guy who I don't think likes me because I always ask to bundle things up. 🤷‍♂️

But like there's another place where the guy always looks down on me when I bring shit in. Like, fuck man.... YOU'RE the store! Hahaha.... I tried to literally GIVE him a copy of Batman Arkham Asylum on PS3 and he turned me down. 

It was fuckin' weird. I had the game and I was like "you know, if you had a $5 NES common I'd trade it but since you don't I'll just give it to you."

"Nah.... I'm good."

Okay.... well.... I realize it's a million seller and you have a couple copies.... but you just DON'T want it??? 😳

... and he started telling me a story about how he always turns free stuff down from people ALL THE TIME and doesn't want it to be a "dumping ground." Yes... this is logical. But, as far as I'm concerned the inventory is ALWAYS scarce because there's not any NEW shit being made. Like... you sell old video games and DVD's. You think you're going to have inventory FOREVER? 

I'd fuckin' take the copy of the game and give it to the next person who bought a PS3 item. 

Or WHATEVER fuckin' system it's on. You looking at X-box shit??? Here, pick a free game with purchase. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Yeah... there's one around here and it just depends on who is working.

I find the attitude from some game store employees so odd.... like.... you MUST be into games or SOME of this dorky shit, you WORK in the game store??? Why do you always gotta treat me like an outcast for shopping in YOUR store????

Hahaha.... Just depends on who's working. There's one guy who I don't think likes me because I always ask to bundle things up. 🤷‍♂️

But like there's another place where the guy always looks down on me when I bring shit in. Like, fuck man.... YOU'RE the store! Hahaha.... I tried to literally GIVE him a copy of Batman Arkham Asylum on PS3 and he turned me down. 

It was fuckin' weird. I had the game and I was like "you know, if you had a $5 NES common I'd trade it but since you don't I'll just give it to you."

"Nah.... I'm good."

Okay.... well.... I realize it's a million seller and you have a couple copies.... but you just DON'T want it??? 😳

... and he started telling me a story about how he always turns free stuff down from people ALL THE TIME and doesn't want it to be a "dumping ground." Yes... this is logical. But, as far as I'm concerned the inventory is ALWAYS scarce because there's not any NEW shit being made. Like... you sell old video games and DVD's. You think you're going to have inventory FOREVER? 

I'd fuckin' take the copy of the game and give it to the next person who bought a PS3 item. 

Or WHATEVER fuckin' system it's on. You looking at X-box shit??? Here, pick a free game with purchase. 🤷‍♂️

I might be in that one store owners camp of turning down “free” stuff.

I mean, depending on how many people are telling him to just take their Madden 2010s or NBA 2008’s, you can end up with a lot of junk inventory and no where to place it but… the trash.

And as a collector, even if I know it’s worthless or useless, it’s really, really hard to just toss this junk. Turning it down when offered for free at least makes the guy feel like he’s giving the item a chance to find a home.  

Maybe I’m completely misinterpreting the situation, but as someone who often goes into certain game stores that were once new but are now getting to be about 5 years old, I’ve seen the problem.  Eventually your shelf space starts to get lined with sports titles and shovelware if you don’t start turning stuff down.

Edited by RH

1. They never told you it was $50 for a working system, they only specified a system for $50. You went in the next day claming you were promised a working one.
  2. If he doesn't price things, he shouldn't get offended with offers. He shouldn't even be running a store, this isn't eBay.
  3. I would have loved to be in this store, pulling out every rare variant he's completely oblivious about and looking up non-variant prices on eBay for me.
  4. What's this guy's warranty? He can't be selling things as is, they must have a 90 day warranty. So how is he selling untested items?
  5. Putting a TLDR at the very end of a wall of text defeats the purpose of a TLDR. It goes at the top.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, RH said:

I might be in that one store owners camp of turning down “free” stuff.

I mean, depending on how many people are telling him to just take their Madden 2010s or NBA 2008’s, you can end up with a lot of junk inventory and no where to place it but… the trash.

And as a collector, even if I know it’s worthless or useless, it’s really, really hard to just toss this junk. Turning it down when offered for free at least makes the guy feel like he’s giving the item a chance to find a home.  

Maybe I’m completely misinterpreting the situation, but as someone who often goes into certain game stores that were once new but are now getting to be about 5 years old, I’ve seen the problem.  Eventually your shelf space starts to get lined with sports titles and shovelware if you don’t start turning stuff down.

I mean... I totally get it. I don't want Madden 2010 or NBA 2008 either....   Maybe I just don't realize how shitty Batman Arkham Asylum is.  🤣

But the other thing is he was bragging about this bunch of free PS3 games he got that he didn't want.... well.... why the hell are they sitting there beside you? Put some signs up that say "FREE GAME WITH PURCHASE" or some shit, it's not rocket science. 

Also, I'm standing right there, say "Hey... want some games?"

I guess what confuses me is that I see these stores struggling and yet they're not helping themselves. 

Maybe I'm clueless... but fuck... play the long game. Get your inventory online. Sure... you sell Batman Arkham Asylum for $5.87.... but since you have 20 copies, sell them online and get rid of them over time. Or keep it with the other FREE games you're getting and bundle them up with trades or systems. 

If you have multiple copies of Batman Arkhmam Asylum, and other games, then you better fucking be bundling them up with each system you sell.... otherwise they sit on your shelf and you and up turn down free inventory down the road. 🤔

I sold 15 NES RF switches one at a time on eBay.... Like $10 each. Had them online as a bundle... nothing, no bites. One at a time, though playing the long game.... they all sold. 🤷‍♂️

On 4/23/2023 at 12:51 PM, Code Monkey said:
  1. They never told you it was $50 for a working system, they only specified a system for $50. You went in the next day claming you were promised a working one.
  2. If he doesn't price things, he shouldn't get offended with offers. He shouldn't even be running a store, this isn't eBay.
  3. I would have loved to be in this store, pulling out every rare variant he's completely oblivious about and looking up non-variant prices on eBay for me.
  4. What's this guy's warranty? He can't be selling things as is, they must have a 90 day warranty. So how is he selling untested items?
  5. Putting a TLDR at the very end of a wall of text defeats the purpose of a TLDR. It goes at the top.

1. Well... during our conversation it was understood he would get a "working" system for me. 

"Because he's closing there's no time to find a system so I ask him and he says "I'll be able to get one [working] for you tomorrow but because I don't have any controllers I'll give it to you for $50." I say great, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow."

My bad on missing that....? 

2. Agreed. I was also confused and asked him multiple times to give me an idea of what he wanted in terms of pricing, especially because we had previously discussed the system being $50. 

3. That would be nice.

4. I would highly doubt there's any sort of "warranty". It's a tiny store in a garage with a car detailing company attached to it. That's what I said to him... "How can I pay top dollar for an untested system? It's like finding at a yard sale for me..."

5. Sorry. I'm not that well versed in internet forum etiquette.