IGNORED

HDMI NES options in 2022 and beyond.

I wanted to get an HDMI NES for my new 75in TV as the only retro console I have on it now is the Ultra N64 HDMI mod and came up empty. It seems like the AVS isn't back in stock until next year and the mod kits for top loaders have gone dry. Anyone have any ideas aside from paying ridiculous amounts for an AVS or Analog mini on eBay? 

• Like 1

I just wanna say that I love my Analogue NT Noir and it is worth every penny I spent (I got mine for retail mind you). I personally think it looks better than the AVS did. In your spot, if I could afford it, I’d pop the extra dollars for an Analogue system any day of the week. My Super NT and Mega SG are by far the best way to play those libraries. Definitely not the most cost effective but pales in comparison to what I paid for the thousand plus games I have been them. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

I know nothing about it but I think the RetroTINK 5X Pro is the latest in fancy low latency video scalers. The 2X Pro is a cheaper option. It won’t be a whizbang modded NES but will work well. I have a Framemeister and if feels like an antique compared to how these super low latency, simpler UI modern scalers look.

I wouldn't be surprised if hyperkin had one of their HDMI powered upscalers.  They have it for the SNES through the GC and it's like 80-85% as sharp as a native device like all those out of stock costly ones from personally checking one out months ago.  They charge like $30-40 for those things, capped at 720p I think, not sure it does 1080.

It was either hyperkin again I'm sure that does have a stand alone HDMI NES console, also SNES one too, system on a chip as far as I know, seen some comments online about it being fairly quality but that could be someone living on old dreams or a higher threshold for pain.

After that you're getting into the expense of 100+ and maybe a modded console would be better.

I've been using a MiSTer for my HDMI gaming, but the DE10 Nano board is also getting hard to find.  I would say the marked it primed for HDMI solution if someone out there is willing to put a decent product out.  I would be nice if someone came up with an HDMI mod using the raspberry pi, like they did on the Amiga.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Hi-Def NES is not gone forever, but restocks will take years...

Screenshot_2022-08-10-21-56-39-41_572064f74bd5f9fa804b05334aa4f912.thumb.jpg.8a1061e5b3968ccb0319cfaaf7fff3f7.jpg

I have an NT mini, NT mini noir, and retrotink 5Xpro that I use with a twin famicom.  NT mini and noir are great.  The retrotink I use with composite on the twin famicom, it is pretty good, there is noise as composite is what it is. 

If you are not going to spring for a console with HDMI, retrotink is an option worth really considering. You can even do rgb mod on your NES to improve it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Do you guys think the best bet is putting an order in for the AVS? I really don't want to shell out $609-800 for a used HiDef top loader or NT mini.

I use the AVS regularly and like it. It works fine, and scales well into 4k (output is 720p, but that scales into a whole integer into 4k, so no real issue there.) Some don't like the form factor, but I don't mind it. Bunnyboy said that he's also experiencing chip shortages and a wait, but not a 60 month wait.

I don't ever like to really recommend hyperkin products, but int his case he's right.  Get that thing for $30-40 and just buy your time.  No point in going all in on some half baked bodge job of various expensive wires and boxes.  Get that, wait, then when the HD kits are back in play or if they grow up and do another analogue for NES, or even AVS re-appears, get that and do things right.

9 hours ago, NorthPoleRetro said:

You could direct wire an adapter straight into the NES and cut a slot in the back. It's not the same as the HI-Def Nes but until there is stock again it's a fairly clean solution.

The only bad thing about this idea, if you're talking about the standard/cheap composite-to-HDMI converters, is how much input lag even the "most authentic" of those tend to add.  Sure, it's a solution to get a nice clean look and technically HDMI out of a front loader (or top loader), but I think it still misses the target result a decent bit.  Better to deal with one of the "HD" consoles with such upconversion already built in for $30-40 versus spending most of that amount on a laggy box that only converts video and still get stuck with a permanently marred original NES.

• Agree 1