IGNORED

Any Toy Collectors? Discussion and Show Off!

So anyone else into toys? I've recently gotten into AFA Toy collecting, mostly Masters of the Universe, and it's been fun. I had just as much nostalgia for them as a young kid and I'm surprised it's taken me this long to participate. Getting a 1981 8 back He-Man really brought me back to a snapshot in time as a kid!

IMG_20220801_093850_991.jpg

• Like 5

I've collected different toys through the decades but now I mostly just buy garage kits and paint them myself and of course LEGO. But I do have some Soul of Chogokin.

Also Mattel did a re release of MoTU a few years ago which is an excellent line, although now some of those have become expensive too. 

AFF79B00-115B-422D-8590-E2C3CB93E6D6.thumb.jpeg.e73466fca7e392e185af32a8aea38cef.jpeg

62A311CF-0B37-47D1-9DBB-9CC87DD5C4E8.thumb.jpeg.f4ccbc9a7a187c99e3e38e13381a11e6.jpeg

F4016462-41FA-431D-90B8-27B0BC7D08E2.thumb.jpeg.076613c353e3284b0b1eab0e06bce44d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don't collect toys since I simply don't have the room for them, and I feel like one obsession (well, technically two) is enough.  However, if I was going to collet some kind of toy, I think nostalgia would take over on the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures or possibly the Kenner Batman action figures and lastly the original Jurassic Park toys.  The only other thing I think I would enjoy collecting would be Lego, but damn, I spend enough on video games as it is.  

Edited by TDIRunner

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I don't collect toys since I simply don't have the room for them, and I feel like one obsession (well, technically two) is enough.  However, if I was going to collet some kind of toy, I think nostalgia would take over on the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures or possible the Kenner Batman action figures and lastly the original Jurassic Park toys.  The only other thing I think I would enjoy collecting would be Lego, but damn, I spend enough on video games as it is.  

I'm getting into TMNT as well. GI Joe would round out my big 3 but there's too many of those!

Yeah, I dabble in it a little though it's generally quite limited.

I've been collecting some bootleg TMNT figures on card / brand new from the 80s, and if I find old bootleg Mario toys from that era I tend to buy it as well. One of my favourites is a bootleg Mario coming out of Korea, don't usually see a lot of stuff being made there.

20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah, I dabble in it a little though it's generally quite limited.

I've been collecting some bootleg TMNT figures on card / brand new from the 80s, and if I find old bootleg Mario toys from that era I tend to buy it as well. One of my favourites is a bootleg Mario coming out of Korea, don't usually see a lot of stuff being made there.

show korean mario geek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Happy to have found this thread.

I wouldn't exactly consider myself to be a "Toy collector" but I still have some TMNT figures from when I was a kid, and always loved the mutating turtles. 

I came across a mutating Splinter recently and got interested in the "set". Thus I decided I would "get" all the OG Mutating ones. Happened all pretty fast actually as I found Bebop and Rocksteady a few weeks later from the same place. The guy said he had them at the time , but I didn't see them... maybe wasn't wanting the "set" then?

Raph and Don I needed upgrades of from my childhood ones, Raph was beheaded and Don had missing flaps... Them and Mikey & Leo I found in a couple vintage toy stores. 

I also want to have the TMNT '88's as they're known, I believe. There's 10? Leo, Raph, Don, Mikey, April, Splinter, Shredder, Foot Soldier, Bebop, & Rocksteady. 

Found Splinter and Shredder together, with their little costumes, at a local video game/toy/everything store.... which was good because Shredder had the belt for Splinter along with him. I basically just wanted to buy them because of their capes, though, haha. 

Here's a few limited pics of a couple I have.... 

image.jpeg.34d0228f9e2ae7158b9edd580c529d81.jpeg

image.jpeg.21a007c2e8e90964da8b4cfbb76b3e0b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37216e8111c1a534fa4a7b06df3a8d1f.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Was just looking closer at when I bought the Splinter and how shitty he looks without the belt. I mean... the little costume is cool, but having it tucked into the belt ties it all together perfectly. 

I didn't actually buy them at the exact same time.... kind of the same transaction, but not the same day. The belt in the little baggy for Splinter was tiny and it made no sense to me.... well, I went back a few days later to get Shredder (I couldn't believe myself for leaving him in the first place, but that's a whole other story) and Shredder has TWO belts with him. One big and one small.... so Shredder is super skinny so it makes sense the small one is for him... but the big one? It clicks in that it's probably Splinters.  

So Splinter had a Shredder belt, and Shredder had BOTH a belt for himself and Splinter. Now I have a random extra belt for Shredder. 

Boy howdy was I stoked when I put the big belt onto Splinter and it fit perfectly. 🤣

Alternatively, I think Shredder looks like shit with his costume tucked in to his belt. 

What a rollercoaster ride of emotions. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1a84292af2d86ea1b5761f3fddc87b04.jpeg

image.jpeg.50668a721193cad4c050b33e7de12423.jpeg

All my friends, and brother, have kids and families and they're like "Oh look at the cute thing Johnny did." and I'm like "Yeah, but look at Shredder & Splinter, they have their little costumes!!!" 😅

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, jonebone said:

So anyone else into toys? I've recently gotten into AFA Toy collecting, mostly Masters of the Universe, and it's been fun. I had just as much nostalgia for them as a young kid and I'm surprised it's taken me this long to participate. Getting a 1981 8 back He-Man really brought me back to a snapshot in time as a kid!

IMG_20220801_093850_991.jpg

Jone!! Where'd you get that radical hard plastic case for He-Man?

I have a '88 Shredder on "card" (haha, what's the terminology???) that I think should be encased in something like this. 

Also... I know it's not crazy rare, but I've never seen one of these in person, so I decided to buy it....

image.thumb.jpeg.01aff22f8e0722012e0611c4e92d5689.jpeg

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning it? It's pretty caked on with dust/dirt. 

If it wasn't all attached I'd try warm soapy water but since it's all attached I don't want water in the base.... 

I would do this left to my own devices... Step 1) Blast with compressed air.  Step 2) Be super careful with warm soapy water and wipe it down...? 

Thoughts???

I've been buying some of those Transformers reissues while perusing Wally World for whatever typical wares I get there ( cheap keyboards, brooms, etc ), so a $10-20 trip ends up being like $60 but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

I like the older toys too like the Marx stuff ( King Kong, Yeti, Merry Makers, Spooky Kooky Whistling Tree ), will eventually get around to getting some of those but they've gotten $$$ like everything else in recent years.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 7:55 PM, Code Monkey said:

Still unpacking after moving in, I have over 500 Transformers including a complete Generation 1 set and many, many modern third party figures.

To be honest, I only started collecting games after I completed my Transformers set.

IMG_20220803_175007.jpg

Walked through the game store earlier today....

Could NOT leave without this:

image.thumb.jpeg.b89b46b0ebf9fad6d8f6e868ace13604.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7d8068a9ed5eb181a827c2cffef7c96.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dea9236723f4239e720a19e64ef7ac9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ab94b73f3631d9cfa9ecd6ea57156f2.jpeg

This is the only Transformer I have, now.☺️

It's not in great shape, with some wear.../ It's awesome because it's got METAL pieces in it (joints & feet) and you can FEEL the parts working together as you transform it. It's incredible. 

He's not super stable when standing, but the cassette holder still opens, and getting a little cassette with it was the kicker. 

• Like 1

As I mentioned before, I don't really collect toys myself, but my kids happen to own every Mario Kart related toy that I know of.  It's possible they are missing a few, but I haven't seen anything.  They also have most of the Mario playsets and action figures.  I'll have to take some pics sometime.  The Mario Kart toys are probably the most played with toy they have that doesn't include a screen.