IGNORED

Game Debate #99: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, RH said:

I gave it a 9. One of few game I’ve beat. I also played it in the late 90s when a friend and I swapped consoles for a while—his SNES for my N64.  It was a masterpiece, even during that awkward time when we were all blinded by polys.

So you collect and play games but hardly ever beat them?  How many games do you think you've beaten, and which ones are they?

To answer the poll though, easy 10.  I was a Genesis kid and didn't beat ALttP until college, so the light and dark world mechanic didn't blow my mind or anything, but just the simple sword and shield combat was really well done and just felt good, then the dungeons, secrets and exploration were all great.  I've always said that if aliens landed and they wanted to know what video games on planet earth were like, this is the first game I'd give them.  It's close to a perfect game.

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 1

As someone who places the NES at its rightful place as the best system ever, it's strange to say that I've never been a huge fan of the original LoZ. I did play it back in the day and didn't have a lot of fun with it. Zelda II was a poor game compared to the masterful Battle of Olympus. All that changed with LttP.

I wasn't even interested in LttP although I did have a SNES. One day in IIRC Software Etc. there was set up a SNES demo running the game. I didn't even realize it was a Zelda game until after trying it for a while, and even that brief time convinced me I had to have it. I bought the game as soon as possible after that.

And was not disappointed. LttP improves in every way on the first in the series and was an incredible experience (and still is). It remains my favorite Zelda game and my little sister's favorite game ever. All of the secrets and little added touches all over the place in the game were just tons of fun to find and figure out, and I just can't say enough good about it - the look of the game, the memorable music, of course the spot-on controls & just plain fun play style. Always a 10 for me no question and a game I recommend to all.

• Like 1

I really like it, and beat it back in the early 90s on my Snes (and it still is the only Zelda game I have beaten so far). As for the aspects of the game, I'd say:

Graphics: 3. Nice looking game with it's own style. 
Sound: 4. Nice sounds and very very well written and anthemic sounding music.
Controls: 3. Controls simple and ok. It probably could use some small tweaking here and there, but had interesting mechanics for its time. 
Content: 3. Just as other Rpgs, there's only one game mode, that makes fairly use of traditional themes of the genre (mostly fighting the evil who plots to rule the world).

(1=bad, 2=so so, 3= good, 4= remarkable) 

Edited by DreamCuPS

1 hour ago, DreamCuPS said:

Content: 3. Just as other Rpgs, there's only one game mode, that makes fairly use of traditional themes of the genre (mostly fighting the evil who plots to rule the world).

Zelda's not a real RPG.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:14 AM, wyansas said:

So you collect and play games but hardly ever beat them?  How many games do you think you've beaten, and which ones are they?

It’s hard to say but if you look at the games I’ve taken the time to play, I’ve probably beaten 25-35% of them.  The PS1/N64 era was much higher for me and as mentioned, that’s when I finally played this game so it’s no surprise I finished it.

But, I rarely beat an NES, Game Boy or Game Gear game from my early childhood and now since college (PS2 era and on), I often lack the time or patience to complete most games and I couldn’t tell you the last time I 100% a major fetch quest game or an RPG. I’ve beaten RPGs but not 100% one since probably the 90s.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Estil said:

Zelda's not a real RPG.

Already got two people swiping at you, damn shame the truth hurts eh?  Zelda isn't an RPG.  If we classify that as one, then every adventure game out there with some leveling or earning new gear mechanics is an RPG too.  And if that downward spiral into stupidity keeps swirling the drain, basically every video game is a RPG because you're playing a game, and takeing the 'role' in role playing the game as the head character or guiding hand over a group.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Already got two people swiping at you, damn shame the truth hurts eh?  Zelda isn't an RPG.  If we classify that as one, then every adventure game out there with some leveling or earning new gear mechanics is an RPG too.  And if that downward spiral into stupidity keeps swirling the drain, basically every video game is a RPG because you're playing a game, and takeing the 'role' in role playing the game as the head character or guiding hand over a group.

IMHO the differentation is rather ephemeral.   A lot of games that are very similar to Zelda are often categorized as rpg (or action rpgs or action adventure RPGs).   The Neutopias and Golden Axe Warrior are out and out clones and have often been described as RPGs with whatever accompanying adjectives.   Landstalker (which does not differ a whole lot in the mechanics from LttP - isometric perspective not withstanding) is generally described as an action RPG.  Equinox is another case - although its mechanics differ a whole lot from LttP and Landstalker.

If you go back far enough really (really) old skool RPG purists  argued that if a game wasn't a dungeon crawler it was not a true RPG - simply because dungeon crawlers were pretty much the first on the scene. (Give me LttP or Landstalker instead anytime,)

And then we have SRPGs - which share some RPG characteristics but add a whole lot to the mix - and usually attract a more specialized interest fan base.

I can go on - but I think people will get the drift here.

--------------------------

Let's be honest - video games have always evolved and borrowed elements ( especially from more successful games) from predecessors - which perforce generally winds up with a certain mixing/bending of genres - and games within the same genre that share very little in common. 

Rogue or roguelike anyone?

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My point exactly.  An RPG is where (except in Dragon Quest 1) where you have a team of characters (and there better be cute chicks included!) and can level up and grow stronger over the course of the game...and traditionally had turn based combat though the Tales of series and games like Chrono Trigger eh, bend this some.  And who needs that tired old cliche of rescuing the princess (like pretty nearly EVERY Mario or Zelda game) when you can have the princess or other chicks fighting along side ya?  I mean for Pete's sake, the original Zelda cartoon had Zelda fighting alongside Link all the time and that was back when we only had the first two Zelda games!  I can't believe we still don't have a game like that (where you can play as Zelda alongside or in place of Link) now when we do have a Super Princess Peach.

Edited by Estil