IGNORED

My First Submission To Heritage Auctions

People really enjoyed my Wata submissions thread so I'll try it again with Heritage Auctions. They had a booth here at a local expo over the weekend so I got to ask them a lot of questions I wouldn't have normally been able to ask through emails and decided to try sending a few games with them since I didn't have to pay for shipping. A few things I learned while speaking with them:

1. You can send them ungraded games and they will send them to Wata for grading on your behalf, then sell them. They will also pass their grading discount to you.
  2. You pay them 15% of your sold game price (separate from buyer's premium)
  3. They send you a cheque within 45 days of the sale or you can pay $50 for a wire transfer but it's still 45 days
  4. High value games will go into the monthly Signature auction and lower value games go into the weekly auction
  5. You can set a reserve if you submit it in writing.

Updates:

• April 24 2022 - Submitted 13 games and signed the contract with no reserve
  • July 29 2022 - The August Signature auction was posted and my game wasn't there so I emailed Matt (their Canadian representative) asking what happened.
  • August 1 2022 - Matt tells me he submitted a request to the game department to ask.
  • August 2 2022 - Matt tells me the Wata cases on the games got damaged in shipping and have now been replaced by Wata.
  • August 30 2022 - I got an email that my consignment lot is now open for auction.
  • August 31 2022 - I emailed Matt because it was listed in an auction without a live auctioneer which is what I was promised.
  • September 7 2022 - I email Matt again because I notice my Zelda game is damaged
  • September 8 2022 - Matt tells me he's looking into it
  • September 19 2022 - My Zelda game is pulled from the auction for further investigation. I asked to have all my games pulled, he refused.
  • October 5 2022 - I received an email that 7 of my games were open for auction.
  • October 11 2022 (6 hours before auction close) - I receive an email with no explanation that one of my games has been pulled from the auction.
  • October 11 2022 - The auction closes and 6 of my games sell for a total of $870 USD.
  • October 12 2022 - I receive an email that 2 more of my games are open for auction.
  • October 13 2022 - Matt emails me to tell me Wata took back the Zelda game, opened it and confirmed there is no damage, it was just debris from the case and it has now been recased. He also told me my other game was pulled because Wata noticed it was in an improper case and they wanted to recase it.
  • October 18 2022 - Two more of my games sold for a total of $230.
  • October 20 2022 - Matt emailed me with photos of the Zelda game in its new case.
  • November 8 2022 - I spoke with Matt and requested he send back all games that were not already listed for auction. He said he would.

Submitted games:

• East Bunny's Big Day (PlayStation) = 8.0 A+
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (Left Bros.) (NES) = 5.0
  • Track & Field (Game Boy) = 8.5 A+
  • Brett Hull Hockey (SNES) = 9.4 A
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U = 9.6 A+
  • Halo (Not For Resale) (Xbox) = 9.2 B+
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64) = 9.4 A+
  • Halo 3 Essentials (Xbox) = 9.6 A
  • The Simpsons Game (PlayStation 2) = 9.6 A+
  • Klonoa (Wii) = 9.6 A
  • NES Remix Pack (Wii U) = 9.6 A+
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash-Up (Wii) = 9.2 A+
  • Minecraft (PlayStation 3) = sealed, ungraded but they'll send it to Wata

Total paid out of my pocket on drop off was nothing. I gave them the games, signed the contract and walked away.

Edited by Code Monkey
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

13 hours ago, Franmotard said:

Interesting ill be following this as I also was considering sending some games. I contacted them and told me they only accept orders for a total value of at least 10k$. Did they also say that to you?

The $10,000 limit came up a few times but I didn't pay too much attention to it since I'm well over that but I do know the restriction was for the monthly signature auction. Only Zelda will make it into that auction because of the value, the others will go into the weekly auction since they're under $10,000 in value. I also got a break on some other fees after hitting that threshold but I can't recall them saying they wouldn't accept anything under that value.

• 1 month later...
  1. You pay them 15% of your sold game price (separate from buyer's premium)

Just to be clear:

On 4/24/2022 at 10:37 PM, Code Monkey said:

Just to be clear:

If the hammer price is $85,000 and then the buyers premium is $100,000.     You, the seller, would receive $72,250 ?

Not a bad pay day for HA!

Edited by dogbowl

5 hours ago, dogbowl said:

Just to be clear:

Just to be clear:

If the hammer price is $85,000 and then the buyers premium is $100,000.     You, the seller, would receive $72,250 ?

Not a bad pay day for HA!

$68,000 but they take a lower percentage at that sale price. I don't want to list their entire business structure here.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:00 AM, dogbowl said:

One more question .. how about taxes?   

Do they report that as income?  Do you have to claim 'long term capital gains'??

You would have to report whatever profit you realize on the sale, yes.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, Code Monkey said:

You can send them ungraded games and they will send them to Wata for grading on your behalf, then sell them. They will also pass their grading discount to you.

Not exactly true. If they feel your item will sell for 10K +, they will do this duty, but otherwise they will flat out refuse. 

• Agree 1

I posted a large update of the current debacle in the first post.

They damaged my game, they took more than 6 months to get my games in auction, they wrote their own opinion of damage on my game with no mention of it from Wata, they pulled my game from auction just because Wata wanted to recase it and now I just realized 3 of my games are MIA because they're just not listed in my consignment account. I have no idea what Heritage did with them.

• Wow! 1
  • Angry 2

On 10/13/2022 at 11:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

I posted a large update of the current debacle in the first post.

They damaged my game, they took more than 6 months to get my games in auction, they wrote their own opinion of damage on my game with no mention of it from Wata, they pulled my game from auction just because Wata wanted to recase it and now I just realized 3 of my games are MIA because they're just not listed in my consignment account. I have no idea what Heritage did with them.

if you're talking about the zelda 9.4 A+ that blows hard.... i would personally keep something like that and wait until u get the price you want coz it would be too hard to get back 🤷

6 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

if you're talking about the zelda 9.4 A+ that blows hard.... i would personally keep something like that and wait until u get the price you want coz it would be too hard to get back 🤷

I won't be getting it back, I don't collect N64. And I already spent the $20,000 I was supposed to get for it 6 months ago.

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Two more games sold in tonight's auction for a total of $230, that's slightly less than my cost to grade them. It literally would have been cheaper for me to throw these sealed games in the trash than to send them for grading. Literally.

was this halo yours perchance 🤔

image.png.6d12ddff19e1381d8088cb1bdee26197.png

i dont know even know where this one comes from but it doesnt even matter at 169 bux 🤣 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Two more games sold in tonight's auction for a total of $230, that's slightly less than my cost to grade them. It literally would have been cheaper for me to throw these sealed games in the trash than to send them for grading. Literally.

Bad luck dude, that's genuinely upsetting. 😢

• Agree 1