IGNORED

You ever wanted to buy a game just because of the cover?

RH

I’m just gonna put this here.

TASMANIA-STORY-MONOGATARI-GameBoy-GB-Jap

But in all seriousness, have you ever seen a cover of a game that was so weird, awkward or just plain crazy, you wanted to buy it?

I don’t collect Japanese GB games and I already have the US version of Tasmania Story for my set, but this is almost to amusing to pass up.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Latest game I bought because of that was this. I don't even know what the game is about but that cute kitty

spacer.png

I'm fairly certain that Adventures of Chatran a side-scrolling shmup where you fly flower-shaped ships and defend your homeland against an invading horde of gigantic marauding alien felines. 

Absolutely. It was early 2003; I was a teenager. I loved Toonami and all things Japan. I took what little money I had to the local game store and saw this beauty on the shelf:

51-GGJeZnUL._SX342_.jpg

I thought "oh cool, Konami! They don't make bad games! Look at that dude with the eyeball lute. I bet he's an interesting character."

I parted with my hard-earned money, brought it home, and proceeded to play what I STILL consider to be the worst RPG I've ever played. 

That's the last time I ever judged a game by the cover.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Absolutely. It was early 2003; I was a teenager. I loved Toonami and all things Japan. I took what little money I had to the local game store and saw this beauty on the shelf:

51-GGJeZnUL._SX342_.jpg

I thought "oh cool, Konami! They don't make bad games! Look at that dude with the eyeball lute. I bet he's an interesting character."

I parted with my hard-earned money, brought it home, and proceeded to play what I STILL consider to be the worst RPG I've ever played. 

That's the last time I ever judged a game by the cover.

Ever play Quest 64? I had a PS1 and N64 as a kid and LOVED PS1 RPGs, but had really wanted to get one for the N64.  I remember reading about Q64 in it’s early days and really wanting it. Yes, I was one who paid full retail for that title, likely within the first few weeks of it’s release.

Though I still beat it because I bought it, I don’t think there was ever a bigger disappointment for me in a game purchase. And I agree with what many others have said. Quest isn’t bad because it’s broken or poorly made and buggy.  It’s bad because it was the most boring, bland, uninspired RPG I’ve ever seen. It makes FF Mystic Quest look like Xenogears in comparison.

When I was a kid I bought many games based on the cover alone. Fortunately I didn't get burned too much by this. Abadox, Space Shuttle Project, Super R-Type and Gradius 3 were some that roped me in. 

These days there are definitely some games I'm tempted to buy just to display because the covers look so good. Marble Madness for Game Boy Color is one that's been calling to me. I mean, I love the game too. But that cover is just art. I'm also a big fan of the King's Quest V cover for NES. Maybe others wouldn't agree. It's very simple. But to me it is just perfect. 

I haven't bought a game based solely on the cover since the 90s. However I will occasionally window shop when I'm bored and sometimes a game that I never heard of grabs my attention because of the cover, but I will look it up and do research before even considering buying it.

My friend and I were talking about old game covers the other day and it's funny how certain covers just stick out to you even if you never played the game. Like, I remember Abadox on NES simply because of the cover. Never played it and couldn't even tell you what kind of game it is. But I remember that cover, seeing it in stores,in Blockbuster, Funcoland, etc. Funny how stuff like that sticks with you, huh?

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Ever play Quest 64? I had a PS1 and N64 as a kid and LOVED PS1 RPGs, but had really wanted to get one for the N64.  I remember reading about Q64 in it’s early days and really wanting it. Yes, I was one who paid full retail for that title, likely within the first few weeks of it’s release.

Though I still beat it because I bought it, I don’t think there was ever a bigger disappointment for me in a game purchase. And I agree with what many others have said. Quest isn’t bad because it’s broken or poorly made and buggy.  It’s bad because it was the most boring, bland, uninspired RPG I’ve ever seen. It makes FF Mystic Quest look like Xenogears in comparison.

I never have. Thankfully, most of my friends in school owned a N64 and warned me about that one. That sucks, though. I've never heard anything good about Quest 64.

What makes Ephemeral Fantasia so bad is that on top of the incredibly forgettable experience, it introduces a time mechanic similar to Majora's Mask that makes the game an absolute struggle to play. You have to unlock all of your party members by performing certain actions before resetting the time loop, and most of the required actions could be described as "moon logic." After you finally get through it, you're treated to one of the worst endings in gaming, IMO. It single-handedly killed RPGs for me for several years.

22 minutes ago, RH said:

As someone who didn't own a PS1 til 2000, Quest 64 was one of my first RPGs. I owned a SNES but only played EarthBound, Super Mario RPG and Lufia II on it. At the time I was super hyped for Quest 64 and loved the game from start to finish. I know compared to PS1 RPGs it paled in comparison and going back to play it today is an absolute bore, but I really had a lot of fun with it at the time. It was the first game I experienced with battles where you move around in the play field and with a day and night cycle. So yeah it's not very good by any means but I have fond memories of it.

1 minute ago, AstralSoul13 said:

As someone who didn't own a PS1 til 2000, Quest 64 was one of my first RPGs. I owned a SNES but only played EarthBound, Super Mario RPG and Lufia II on it. At the time I was super hyped for Quest 64 and loved the game from start to finish. I know compared to PS1 RPGs it paled in comparison and going back to play it today is an absolute bore, but I really had a lot of fun with it at the time. It was the first game I experienced with battles where you move around in the play field and with a day and night cycle. So yeah it's not very good by any means but I have fond memories of it.

I think those are fair points.  I really do give it the "worst RPG I've ever played" award, but as I said, it's not "bad" in a broken sense.  It's just boring.  Regardless, I too played through the thing start to finish.  The mechanics were good enough to keep me going but there just wasn't a lot to do.  I can't recall how long it took me to finish it, but it must have been in the 12-15 hour range.  20 hours as an absolute tops.  I doubt I could have played it for much longer if it was longer than that.

I also recall that as you could level, you could spam your upgrade points into a one of the attack elemental types and you were quickly OPing everything.  I probably kept going trying to max that out.  As a kid, I kind of liked grinding in RPGs just so I could decimate everything in my path.

This also might have been my first "action" RPG in a 3D environment.  I forgot about that, so there's a chance that it was part of the novelty that kept me going.  It's easy to forget details like that as I've aged.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I think those are fair points.  I really do give it the "worst RPG I've ever played" award, but as I said, it's not "bad" in a broken sense.  It's just boring.  Regardless, I too played through the thing start to finish.  The mechanics were good enough to keep me going but there just wasn't a lot to do.  I can't recall how long it took me to finish it, but it must have been in the 12-15 hour range.  20 hours as an absolute tops.  I doubt I could have played it for much longer if it was longer than that.

Mine was probably about 20 hours but yeah it wasn't a super long game. It might be the worst RPG I've played looking back, or at least one of the worst. It's  just very boring and bland which is what I realized after getting a PS1 eventually and having so many better games to compare to.

Moderator · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You see it and there's a combination of "WTF" but also enough intrigue to make you want to buy it.  Seriously, though, what is that game about and why does that image relate?

We couldn’t afford to buy games as a kid, but we would get free rentals as birthday and Christmas presents. This game caught our eye every time we passed it at our local rental place until we finally broke down and got it for a night. It’s a solid shump, no idea why they chose that artwork. 

32 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

Yep, and it worked out well!

95DC7BA0-9E68-436D-B7EE-7638809346E1.jpeg

That's an interesting one.  As a kid, I would have seen Felix and just thought "but why, though?"  Felix cartoons were fine but older than Bug's Bunny and not as charming but, now, everyone raves that it's actually a really awesome game.  Good call picking that one up!

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

When I was a kid I bought many games based on the cover alone.

Same story! Due to specific game market in Russia in 90's we lack information about games and usually i bought games selecting the most attractive cover 🤣

Nowadays as a collector i sometimes buy games just because i like the game art.

2 hours ago, RH said:

That's an interesting one.  As a kid, I would have seen Felix and just thought "but why, though?"  Felix cartoons were fine but older than Bug's Bunny and not as charming but, now, everyone raves that it's actually a really awesome game.  Good call picking that one up!

They were old cartoons for sure but there was a small push around felix in the early 90s.    The movie was released in the US on VHS in 91 and some other vhs felix tapes in that early 90s time frame and then a tv cartoon in 1995 or so.   

It wasn't much, but it was something, and I would guess the game was there to support that.

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I've been trying to collect Europe-exclusive releases for GB, with a strong de-emphasis on "re-sprited" games that actually did have a US release under a different name. It's hard enough to chase down the true exclusives, so I won't worry about the re-sprites. And then I saw this:

feb0c210-943f-012f-54dc-005056945a4e.jpg

Come on. I was born in the 80's and I'm not going to buy this game? Should be arriving in the mail within a few days.

• Like 2