IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-votes-to-strip-marjorie-taylor-greene-from-committees/ar-BB1doFeY?li=BBnb7Kz

"WASHINGTON—The House voted Thursday to remove Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene from her committee assignments, delivering a severe rebuke to the Georgia Republican hours after she said she regretted her past embrace of conspiracy theories.

The House voted 230-199 to remove Mrs. Greene from the budget and education committees, with 11 Republicans siding with Democrats. The move will diminish Mrs. Greene’s ability to shape legislation and work with other lawmakers, sidelining her just weeks into her first term in office."

Spew garbage rhetoric, get sidelined.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:39 PM, Tulpa said:

Even Newsmax is finally fed up with the bullshit.

Newsmax doesn't care about the propaganda. They got threatened to be sued after all that dominion conspiracy nonsense. Someone had joked that that host walked off the air because he was worried about personal liability.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/05/mypillow-ceo-lindells-film-not-intended-be-taken-f/

"Before MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell’s documentary aired on the One America News Network, a disclaimer rolled slowly across the screen: 

'The statements and claims expressed in this program are presented at this time as opinions only and are not intended to be taken or interpreted by the viewer as established facts.'"

• Haha 2

These news outlets used to be the magazines by the checkout at the grocery store that had headlines of Barbra Bush breast feeding a bat person. The stop the steal, antivaxx, deepstate, qanon, fascists in congress stories are like a barometer for idiots. 

The only difference is now is that with social media they can all get together and talk about the stupid shit they think is true and we, as normal and mostly sane individuals, get to witness the absurdities. Before it was just done in private and maybe 1 or 2 out of the hundreds of people they work with they talk to them about the breast feeding bat people on a lunch break or two a month. 

Editorials Team · Posted

Also, on an unrelated note

Scott Dworkin (@funder) Tweeted:
Marjorie Taylor Greene says "get ready to fight for America tomorrow," the day before the attack, while in front of the US Capitol. Greene also says "Trump was re-elected," and that the Electoral College vote was "stolen."

• Like 2

I've seen that in the fringe right forums, especially the QAnon supporting ones.

Latest theory is that Trump is still president, but they're letting Biden/Harris publicly act as president/VP so not to spark a civil war. Trump will regain the presidency on March 20th because reasons*. Trump still has control of the military until then, and will invoke the Insurrection Act (which they dub the Resurrection Act) and cart every registered Democrat (of which there's only a few million, because no way did Biden get 80 million+ votes) off to prison.

*I've seen the 20th amendment was bandied about, stating that while January 20th is the "inauguration day," but the actual transfer is still in March. Why March 20th, I don't know. The old inauguration day was March 4th.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

These news outlets used to be the magazines by the checkout at the grocery store that had headlines of Barbra Bush breast feeding a bat person. The stop the steal, antivaxx, deepstate, qanon, fascists in congress stories are like a barometer for idiots. 

The only difference is now is that with social media they can all get together and talk about the stupid shit they think is true and we, as normal and mostly sane individuals, get to witness the absurdities. Before it was just done in private and maybe 1 or 2 out of the hundreds of people they work with they talk to them about the breast feeding bat people on a lunch break or two a month. 

I think a MAJOR difference is most people were too embarrassed to even be seen reading the cover of tabloids in the grocery aisle, but now people that want to find affirmation can freely read official looking "news" websites from the privacy of their home without having to be seen in public as a gullible idiot.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I think a MAJOR difference is most people were too embarrassed to even be seen reading the cover of tabloids in the grocery aisle, but now people that want to find affirmation can freely read official looking "news" websites from the privacy of their home without having to be seen in public as a gullible idiot.

Every warehouse and garage I worked at from 2005-2015 had one a national inquirer someone would bring in and leave for others to page through. 

I would agree that these websites look official only because regular news sites are so polluted with ads and nonsense. Comparing the print versions of WAPO to National Inquirer is pretty easy but the web articles of the two are pretty similar.

One of the issues with the fall of news papers was how shotty the online equivalents are, especially local news.