IGNORED

And out come the wolves...

So I live in the St Louis Metro East area and have been collecting NES, SNES and SMS games for over a decade but have owned some of this collection back as far as '87. I am in love with the cartridge games,  (... well, maybe not ones made by LJN). Something feels right about holding one, docking one, and it's play response. I happen to have several consoles and the disc games that go with it but it is not the same. I started actually purposefully collecting games when a friend of mine sent out a facebook post asking for people to bail away a large old rear protection tv. I intended to take out its lens to make a solar oven, but "temporarily" hooked it up in the basement to play duck hunt with my 2 year old son. The rest is history,  the tv stayed and I began collecting in earnest, not just picking up games I wanted to play. (Although I try to play all of them).

Anyhow I have a collection on gamevaluenow.com, see my profile for a link.

Rooster Cogburn side bet side.png

Edited by Stormarov.45
misspelling
  • Like 1

Welcome!

Also, no harm in liking LJN games (if you do at all.)  That hate is just a prop for AVGN. I'm not saying their games are amazing but if you are critical of any NES game, well... you'll soon find that 95% of them are "bad". 

But truthfully, they weren't.  They are just a product of a different era.  Both different play styles were expected at that time and those games were a product of  different ways that development studios had to build games and meet deadlines.  We still have those problems today but the big benefit of modern "LJNs" is they can just go to the Unity store, drop $10k and have 90% of their work already done for them.

Edited by RH

Just now, RH said:

I've never played that but I watched a long play of it.  It's brutal... in a good way.

I've never understood the hate for it honestly. It has fantastic music. You have multiple characters w/ multiple powers you can swap through. Each level has two versions based on if you're awake or dreaming. It's a really unique and awesome game.

As stated, I'm a bit of an LJN defender - and I even get enjoyment out of Friday The 13th. But I recognize that that game has some serious flaws. Nightmare On Elm Street is genuinely good - at least to me.

5 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I've never understood the hate for it honestly. It has fantastic music. You have multiple characters w/ multiple powers you can swap through. Each level has two versions based on if you're awake or dreaming. It's a really unique and awesome game.

As stated, I'm a bit of an LJN defender - and I even get enjoyment out of Friday The 13th. But I recognize that that game has some serious flaws. Nightmare On Elm Street is genuinely good - at least to me.

Well, I was a little bit confused because the guy playing it wasn't talking (how I prefer LPs) and he obviously knew what he was doing.  Regardless, it looked fun but hard.  I'm not complaining but I could definitely see how someone might plug it in, learn it's not "mario" and get annoyed with it and not go back to it.  It seems to have a bit of a learning curve and you have to memorize a bunch of stuff.  Of course, that's true for most games of that era, but it was a different type of learn-the-game experience.

And now I might want to give it a go myself!

Yeah, I mean I got the game as a kid and had the manual so understood what was going on (the shift from day to "sleep", the swapping the of characters, etc). I think if you fired it up with no idea of the mechanics outside of y'know, "platform" then you'd be kind of lost. It's even randomized which buildings (levels) are open when. It's got kind of a stripped down Castlevania II vibe in that way.

I'd say check it out - but maybe with a walkthrough or at least read the manual first. I think it's an overlooked gem, probably because people don't really "get" it going in and just get frustrated.

5 hours ago, noiseredux said:

The reason for the hate:

1 hour ago, Stormarov.45 said:

haha, I was saying I don't get the reason for the hate of Nightmare On Elm Street, specifically. That said, I still really enjoy Friday The 13th. And I played tons of LJN MLB as a kid. And Jaws has its merits.

I haven't played all of those games personally. And I'm not even interested in all of them. I would check out those Marvel games I missed, bad or not - just out of morbid curiosity.

I guess I generally think that LJN was at least a more interesting publisher than they got credit for. Whether those games were successes or failures (however you define that) aside.

18 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

I started actually purposefully collecting games when a friend of mine sent out a facebook post asking for people to bail away a large old rear protection tv. I intended to take out its lens to make a solar oven, but "temporarily" hooked it up in the basement to play duck hunt with my 2 year old son.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I’m gonna need, you’re gonna have to back up just a minute here 🚓👮‍♀️👮       😛😆 

24807198-0623-4234-B1B6-4C39F0B21926.jpeg

02463205-4C4C-4A75-AFAB-07E7D36D7665.jpeg

Edited by Link
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Link said:

haha me too. I came in to say,

Hey junkie man, what’s your story?

Totally a better lead in to an intro thread

I wish I'd thought of it. 🙂

5 hours ago, Link said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I’m gonna need, you’re gonna have to back up just a minute here 🚓👮‍♀️👮       😛😆 

24807198-0623-4234-B1B6-4C39F0B21926.jpeg

02463205-4C4C-4A75-AFAB-07E7D36D7665.jpeg

Well, the TV was free and it's huge and perfect for playing nintendo so... so cares. Also I don't think that was ever a problem unless you left it in one screen for an extended period of time. So I think nintendo was just covering their asses.

10 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

Well, the TV was free and it's huge and perfect for playing nintendo so... so cares. Also I don't think that was ever a problem unless you left it in one screen for an extended period of time. So I think nintendo was just covering their asses.

lol, I just had to bring it up. Upon reading Nintendo rear projection TV, my mind went there instantly. From reading that hundreds of times as a kid. I didn’t know why, or even what a rear projection TV was at the time 😛