IGNORED

we made a shitty game but i have an idea to sell a few copies, let me design the cover for you

Tyree_Cooper

I found Kaboom! for the 5200 in a thrift shop a few years.  I have to say it made me chuckle and was intrigued.  It's just so bad.

27488-kaboom-atari-5200-front-cover.jpg

I have no clue if it's a bad game, but I was compelled to buy Skullmonkeys 100% by the cover.  I'm a sucker for claymation.

image.png.e4bd7f0e1c1a4da3a439d449cedd8620.png

Last there's Ghost Lion.  I never saw this in stores as a kid, but I must say the appeal to own this game by the cover alone is still pretty dang strong.

image.thumb.png.e270c1e71bb579c1d8093214a078bb93.png

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

I found Kaboom! for the 5200 in a thrift shop a few years.  I have to say it made me chuckle and was intrigued.  It's just so bad.

I have no clue if it's a bad game, but I was compelled to buy Skullmonkeys 100% by the cover.  I'm a sucker for claymation.

Last there's Ghost Lion.  I never saw this in stores as a kid, but I must say the appeal to own this game by the cover alone is stilly pretty dang strong.

I feel like someone on here said they know or were like related to the ghost lion lady 🧐

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Last there's Ghost Lion.  I never saw this in stores as a kid, but I must say the appeal to own this game by the cover alone is still pretty dang strong.

Ghost Lion is easily a top 5 NES boxart for me. So good and so bad. I don't know if it qualifies here though, because the game is actually decent.

56 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Ghost Lion is easily a top 5 NES boxart for me. So good and so bad. I don't know if it qualifies here though, because the game is actually decent.

Yeah, I've never played any of these games.  Even Skullmonkeys is a +$100 title, so I assume it's good.  Kaboom was remade a few times, so I assume it's good for what it is, and I have no clue about Ghost Lion. I don't know anything about it, other than the box art.

Ok, so here's attempt #2 after scrolling through a bunch of box art.  This HAS to be a terrible game.  This looks like they are trying waaaaay to hard.  Billy Bob teeth and Macho Man glasses?  Lol, what?

street-hockey-95-1505508201.webp

My problem is I was never into digital/hand drawn ladies as a means to attract me to a game, and of the few games I've bought due to the cover, I don't think I was ever disappointed.  They may not have been the greatest games in the world, but none that I bought were out-right bad and a disappointment.  I guess I was lucky.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

I’ve felt a compulsion before to pony up the $$ for a CIB for no reason other than the awesome cover art.  I haven’t actually done it but if the right combo of price and drunkenness were to meet…

i also remember someone saying they were related to her.  Don’t remember if it was a joke or not

39 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I’ve felt a compulsion before to pony up the $$ for a CIB for no reason other than the awesome cover art.  I haven’t actually done it but if the right combo of price and drunkenness were to meet…

i also remember someone saying they were related to her.  Don’t remember if it was a joke or not

@MrWunderful were you being serious about mom and ghost lion??

Rolan's Curse 2 was a big one for me. I was picking out a game before a big road trip and I thought the cover art was badass. Imagine my disappointment when the game was a weird hybrid action RPG instead of a sweet sidescrolling action game.

I actually went back and played it many years later and found it surprisingly enjoyable. I suspect my initial hatred was due to unfamiliarity with RPGs and a lack of patience. Still, it makes the list for me personally due to the feeling of being led astray by the box art.

Rolan's Curse 2 (1992) Game Boy box cover art - MobyGames

Edited by DoctorEncore

2 hours ago, RH said:

Ok, so here's attempt #2 after scrolling through a bunch of box art.  This HAS to be a terrible game.  This looks like they are trying waaaaay to hard.  Billy Bob teeth and Macho Man glasses?  Lol, what?

street-hockey-95-1505508201.webp

apparently 681/714 so yeah, pretty terrible!

http://snesrankings.com/games/700_676.html#681

• Like 1