IGNORED

Music Debate #132: Carrie Underwood

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Not really my style of music, but there are a few songs I enjoy.  The last time I drove to Florida (which is a 12 hour drive for me), I made a new music playlist that would last the entire trip.  Out of the approximately 13 hours of music I put on the playlist, there were only two country songs.  One of those two country songs was a Carrie Underwood song.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Not really my style of music, but there are a few songs I enjoy.  The last time I drove to Florida (which is a 12 hour drive for me), I made a new music playlist that would last the entire trip.  Out of the approximately 13 hours of music I put on the playlist, there were only two country songs.  One of those two country songs was a Carrie Underwood song.  

I've never been into country music.  Any of it.  Old, new, modern, Southern, Tex/Western.  It's just not my thing either.  In such a case, 4 was/is the best I can give, though I'd probably give Johnny Cash a 7-8 as the only exception.  Dolly might get a 5.

Administrator · Posted

I gave her a 7.  I don't watch this show anymore, but years ago, I remember watching American Idol and liked her, and she has actually built quite a successful career after that.  

There are several of her songs that I do like.  Not all of them, but I enjoy some.  

She's kinda country, kinda pop, a mixture.  I watched a few live performances of hers that I did enjoy.

Editorials Team · Posted

Not my thing.

I consider myself exceptionally open-minded.  And even though I live in Yuppieville, my city is historically a cow town, with cowboy bars.  My wife adores country two step, and I would indulge her whenever she asked.

I never once heard one of those songs and felt any sort of pleasure.  Not even the guilty kind.  Not once.

• Haha 1

You know it just so happened her season on American Idol was when me and Denise were courting 🙂   Here's her first and last appearances on Idol that season (2005)...though I personally preferred Bo Bice and thought that him doing a duet with Travis Tritt (he does look/sound a lot like him) for "I Don't Wanna Be" would've been perfect 🙂 

And here Carrie in 2006, who won the CMA's Horizon (Rookie of the Year) award, obviously did NOT anticipate winning the second biggest prize (Female Vocalist) so soon...and someone was sure NOT happy about that! 😄 

Speaking of again not figuring she'd actually win so soon...be sure to watch to the end! 😄 

And wouldn't ya know it, back-to-back MVP, eh I mean Entertainer of the Year! 😄   BTW, her often co-hosting sidekick Brad Paisley looks just like my former teacher (now vice principal) Lance Blue who most inspired me to go to UK 🙂 

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Not my thing.

I consider myself exceptionally open-minded.  And even though I live in Yuppieville, my city is historically a cow town, with cowboy bars.  My wife adores country two step, and I would indulge her whenever she asked.

I never once heard one of those songs and felt any sort of pleasure.  Not even the guilty kind.  Not once.

@Reed Rothchild walking into a country bar like

Cowboy Shit GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Estil said:

You know it just so happened her season on American Idol was when me and Denise were courting 🙂   Here's her first and last appearances on Idol that season (2005)...though I personally preferred Bo Bice and thought that him doing a duet with Travis Tritt (he does look/sound a lot like him) for "I Don't Wanna Be" would've been perfect 🙂 

And here Carrie in 2006, who won the CMA's Horizon (Rookie of the Year) award, obviously did NOT anticipate winning the second biggest prize (Female Vocalist) so soon...and someone was sure NOT happy about that! 😄 

Speaking of again not figuring she'd actually win so soon...be sure to watch to the end! 😄 

And wouldn't ya know it, back-to-back MVP, eh I mean Entertainer of the Year! 😄   BTW, her often co-hosting sidekick Brad Paisley looks just like my former teacher (now vice principal) Lance Blue who most inspired me to go to UK 🙂 

She's pretty good and all but as far as American Idol goes, William Hung has her beat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

@Estil Is she the most successful American Idol winner? My guess is yes.

That's not saying much...my wife was obsessed with Idol but I thought the format in later years (the main jump the shark was when Simon left) and was getting boring as for whatever reason, everyone started sounding pretty much the same generic pop or generic country voice.  Not to mention I think there was at least 3-4 seasons in a row in the last years where the Idol was always a generic All-American White Boy With Guitar. 😛 

Edited by Estil

17 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Gretchen Wilson for my $

When this first came out it was like FINALLY a for real country chick (not those pop wannabes of the era like Faith or Shania) 😄 

Yet another one of those you need the video to really do it justice...

• Like 1