IGNORED

Game Debate #79: Super Mario Odyssey

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

Administrator · Posted
On 12/10/2021 at 3:16 AM, Sumez said:

8/10
Fantastic game, it's basically Mario Sunshine done right this time.

Galaxy is a 10/10 game to me, that game is wall-to-wall pure Super Mario gameplay - Odyssey, meanwhile, focuses instead much more on the exploration and immersion, and as a result a lot of the moons you need to find are borderline tedious. But it still does what it does really well, and better than everything else in the genre.

I gave it a 9 myself, but waffled between 8 and 9.  My thoughts mirror yours very closely.  I LOVED Galaxy.  But I thought Odyssey was still a fantastic 3d Mario game, and I had tons of fun with it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shmup said:

You don't like Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy? Madness!

I haven't played Galaxy, but I do plan to try it out at some time. I've been trying to get through 64 for the last three months, but I am just not having fun with it. I've really tried to give these games a fair shake, but I just don't enjoy them that much. My favorite of the mainline 3D games is probably Mario Sunshine, as weird as that may sound.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I haven't played Galaxy, but I do plan to try it out at some time. I've been trying to get through 64 for the last three months, but I am just not having fun with it. I've really tried to give these games a fair shake, but I just don't enjoy them that much. My favorite of the mainline 3D games is probably Mario Sunshine, as weird as that may sound.

I've tried to play through 64 on multiple occasions and I just can't do it.  It's not enjoyable enough for me to keep trying.  I've only tried Sunshine once and it didn't really grab me, but I may give it another go sometime down the road.  I haven't tried either Galaxy, but I want to.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have much more appreciation and enthusiasm for 2D Mario than 3D Mario...but Odyssey is pretty spectacular. Easily the best 3D Mario title overall and, if I'm setting my bias aside, probably in the running for best Mario game ever. It's not terribly challenging (for the most part) and some of the capture gimmicks aren't used often enough, in my opinion, but the stages are creative, elaborate and full of surprises, the graphics and sound are top-notch and Mario's agility and freedom of movement is just unparalleled.

My personal favorite Mario title may still be SMW but I have to admit that Odyssey impressed me a lot more than I thought it would...and I went into it expecting it to be pretty good.

9/10

• Like 2