IGNORED

Movie Debate #99: Elf

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

While not among the very top tier of my favorite Christmas movies, this movie has slowly grown on me over the years and kind of become a tradition for me and my kids to watch the past few Christmases. Lots of quotable moments. My wife despises and refuses to watch anything with Will Ferrell in it, so the boys and I usually pick an evening when mom has something else to do and we'll give it a viewing.

It's in my "Christmas B-tier"...movies that I like to watch every season if possible but that wouldn't take priority over other Christmas essentials if pressed for time.

7/10

• Like 1

8/10. This is my favorite Christmas movie and my family watches it at least once per year. It's funny and heartfelt and silly in all the best ways. It also has a ridiculously stacked cast. I mean seriously... Will Ferrell, James Caan, Ed Asner, Bob Newhart, Peter Dinklage, Zoey Deschanel, Mary Steenburgen, Andy Richter, Kyle Gass, and more. Even the kid actors do a great job.

If you don't like this movie, you're a Scrooge. Speaking of which... Scrooged might be my second favorite Christmas movie.

• Haha 1

8/10

Very solid modern Christmas classic.

For some people it’s not Christmas until Hans Gruber is thrown off of Nakatomi Plaza, for me it isn’t until Buddy tells all the kids how he went from the North Pole, seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest, Through the sea of the twirly whirly Gum drops, and then finally through the Lincoln Tunnel.

We watch it evey year. It's possibly ny wife's favorite Christmas movie and I enjoy about the first 2/3s of it but I feel it drags at the end.

I consider this a 6.5, rounded down. My favorite. Christmas movie is probably White Christmas. Favorite one I've not seen in ages and probably think more highly of due to childhood nostalgia memories? Ernest Saves Christmas.

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted

Elf is pretty meh.  I don't watch it unless the wife puts it on.  There's at least a dozen other movies on the slate before Elf.  I see why people like it but it doesn't deserve the hype.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Ernest Saves Christmas.

I watch Ernest every year!  

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Elf is pretty meh.  I don't watch it unless the wife puts it on.  There's at least a dozen other movies on the slate before Elf.  I see why people like it but it doesn't deserve the hype.

I watch Ernest every year!  

I need to look up where to stream it.  My wife never was an Ernest fan (get's it from her mother...) but maybe I can show it to my kids.

Events Team · Posted
23 minutes ago, RH said:

I need to look up where to stream it.  My wife never was an Ernest fan (get's it from her mother...) but maybe I can show it to my kids.

Get em hooked while they're young!  I've had the dvd forever.  You can get it tomorrow from prime fo 5 bucks.

7 hours ago, RH said:

Ernest Saves Christmas.

I've always loved the early Ernest films and have luckily managed to get my kids to appreciate them as well. And while Ernest Saves Christmas isn't without its flaws...it is one of the Christmas movies that is required viewing in my household every year. Some of my favorite moments and lines of Jim Varney's career come from that movie. In particular, the sequence where he sneaks onto the movie lot disguised as a snake handler simply makes me smile every time I watch it.

In addition to her violent distaste of anything with Will Ferrell, my wife also cannot stomach an Ernest movie. So, I watch this with the kids when she's otherwise occupied. 🙂

Edited by Webhead123