IGNORED

In honor of what would've been my wife's 65th b-day, and her favorite system, this Dec is my first annual "DS-only" month

Estil

So this month, December 6 to be exact, would've been my dearly departed wife's 65th birthday ๐Ÿ˜žย  And since our anniversary was June 17, naturally those months had special meaning for us (and back when I was working, I'd naturally take my vacation weeks on the week of our anniversary and her birthday).ย  Though she wasn't quite as hardcore, multi-system gaming like I was, she was very much into the Nintendo DS and back in 2011, I bought us matching pairs (sort of) of DSi-XL's.ย  Normally her favorite colors are red/black and blue is the color of my alma mater...but in this case we had opposite colors seeing as how I wanted the special SMB 25th anniversary version. ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

So I was just figuring that because not only was it her favorite system, and it just so happens that December and DS start with the same letters, I thought why not Devote the month of December to playing only the DS?ย  And luckily, armed with a Supercard DSTwo, I can play any US game for the DS I want ๐Ÿ˜„ As for the games I'll be working on, the two main ones will be MegaMan Star Force 2, and then once I get it up to at least story mode finished, I'll finally get a chance to try out Star Force 3 for the first time (I didn't get around to buying them way back in the day) and I'll also working on Dragon Quest 9, the last main entry to date that I haven't finished at least the main plot/story.

And what kind of games did my wife Denise (hey, that too starts with a D!) like?ย  Well she liked the two Brain Age games that came built into our DS's, she also did games like Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?, Deal or No Deal, Wheel of Fortune, Price is Right, things like that.ย  And perhaps as an added bonus, for this month I'll play the games on her blue (she opted to have that big Nerf cover thingie on hers) DS rather than my SMB 25th Anniversary red/black one.ย  I found some pics that she took of herself when I went through her DS and it did kinda make me smile a little. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

On a related note, is there a good place that I can buy another Supercard DSTwo that's 3DS ready?ย  I think now would be a good time to get that set up though for this month I'm only doing regular DS, not 3DS.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'll play some DS in honor this month. Really cool way to commemorate, dude!ย 

Thanks, I thought maybe you all would think it's lame...what if I also told you guys when I played Zelda games (such as the DS ones I think I worked on for the first time while she was in the hospital for something and I needed to stay overnight there with her) I liked to tell her that I "won/found her heart" whenever I find a heart piece or beat a boss or something because she liked hearts? ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

Sadly she won't get to see me win her heart in that claw game in the Link's Awakening Switch remake...that would've been so cute ๐Ÿ˜žย 

And remember how a week before she passed a way we was supposed to try playing NES together for the first time (among other activities) for our Sweet Sixteen anniversary?ย  I think I'll make June my NES-only month (I thought of doing something like that for awhile).

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Administrator ยท Posted
11 minutes ago, Estil said:

Thanks, I thought maybe you all would think it's lame...what if I also told you guys when I played Zelda games (such as the DS ones I think I worked on for the first time while she was in the hospital for something and I needed to stay overnight there with her) I liked to tell her that I "won/found her heart" whenever I find a heart piece or beat a boss or something because she liked hearts? ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

Sadly she won't get to see me win her heart in that claw game in the Link's Awakening Switch remake...that would've been so cute ๐Ÿ˜žย 

And remember how a week before she passed a way we was supposed to try playing NES together for the first time (among other activities) for our Sweet Sixteen anniversary?ย  I think I'll make June my NES-only month (I thought of doing something like that for awhile).

You got this man, this is the way. Stay strong brother.ย 

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You got this man, this is the way. Stay strong brother.ย 

Indeed, December 9th will already be six months since she died...let me tell ya folks, I may have already said a thousand times but tough, I'll say it again...I don't know what I would've done without my grandmother (and her daughter, my aunt...she's the true animal lover of the family but dogs has always clearly been her allegiance) and my kitty cat (remember my wife is the one who turned me into a wannabe crazy cat lady in the first place).ย  If it where for them helping me through those days/weeks/months after my wife's passing I don't know what I would've done ๐Ÿ˜žย  ย I sure was super lucky to still have my grandmother (she's 89, I'm 41) around to help me through, wasn't I? ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My kids threw my DS in the bath tub.

I still hang on to it.ย  Hoping it magically fixes itself.

If you search "wet phone rescue pouch" on amazon you'll find a pouch that made to dry out electronics.ย  My wife used it on her phone and it worked well.ย  Worth a shot for your DS.ย  Now if your DS was on during that time then it might be fried.ย  Worth a try though.ย ย 

• Wow! 1

Administrator ยท Posted

Estil, I think it's nice of you to remember and honor her, especially in positive ways and the things you enjoy.ย  I know it must be difficult, but that time helps, even if ever so slowly.ย  Enjoy your DS time along with its special meaning for you.

It is very clear how much you cared for her, and I wish you the best going forward.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Estil, I think it's nice of you to remember and honor her, especially in positive ways and the things you enjoy.ย  I know it must be difficult, but that time helps, even if ever so slowly.ย  Enjoy your DS time along with its special meaning for you.

It is very clear how much you cared for her, and I wish you the best going forward.

Well I tried my best to be as good a husband as I could and now I shall continue to do my best to be the best kitty cat parent I can be!

I just wish our apt building would let me have more than one kitty...I wish I could have a whole apt full of them! ๐Ÿ˜„ย  ย I don't think I could handle this many though...

ย 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Estil said:

Oh yeah!

So do any of the rest of you have interesting DS stories of your own?

DS had an important roll in my marriage too. I bought it in 2005, just before flying to Thailand to get married. It was going to be about 24 hours of travel time and I thought I needed some entertainment to keep me going. The two games I got with it were Super Mario 64DS and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. I loved them both, (especially Phoenix Wright). Even my wife liked that one. DS is definitely a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

Just now, G-type said:

DS had an important roll in my marriage too. I bought it in 2005, just before flying to Thailand to get married. It was going to be about 24 hours of travel time and I thought I needed some entertainment to keep me going. The two games I got with it were Super Mario 64DS and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. I loved them both, (especially Phoenix Wright). Even my wife liked that one. DS is definitely a favorite of mine.

So you also got married in 2005!ย  I never once got to go to any foreign country though...not even Canada or Mexico. ๐Ÿ˜žย  ย I don't suppose you got to spend a few nights in Bangkok? ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

PS: A lot of those renowned girl chess players are in fact quite cute and/or hot ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 1

Good thing I did get that Supercard DSTwo several years(?) back because you can't find them ANYWHERE!!!ย  Is that the best option for the best possible 3DS "Everdrive" cartridge or are there better ones?ย  Now for this month I'm only doing DS games, not 3DS games but it would still be nice to add this (along with figuring out why my PS2 games/isos (on a hard drive/hdd adapter) can appear on my ODL list but upon trying to start any only gives me a blank black screen) to my gaming arsenal. ๐Ÿ™‚ย  ย What can I say?ย  I find quite fascinating the idea that you can use a "master key" cartridge of sorts on systems and play any game from that system you want ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 1

So it's now already been six months since I got that phone call. ๐Ÿ˜žย ย  You guys know how I've been doing a DS-only month?ย  Well would you believe when I turned on her DS (the one that has her picture on top when I start it up) to work on some MegaMan Star Force 2, the time (and I swear on my cat's life this wasย completelyย unintentional), the time on it (and my computer clock) was 6:17AM...our anniversary date (and we often liked to be cute and ask the other what time it is when that time came up; hee hee).ย  I wonder if it's a sign or something?

And on top of THAT, I even got a GOLD Mystery Data (with 10,000z) within a few minutes game (I'm starting Chapter 2 on both the red and green versions...hey, Christmas colors!).ย  Those of you who are Battle Network/Star Force fans will know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

I lost a lover when I was young so Iย sortย of understand what you've been going through. Good on you to find cute leisurely ways to honor her memory.ย 

I know you like JRPGs with cute chicks so the DS is a great system for you man. Loaded with RPGs. I've been itching for some Chrono Trigger so I'll probably run though that this month, to play along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I lost a lover when I was young so Iย sortย of understand what you've been going through. Good on you to find cute leisurely ways to honor her memory.ย 

I know you like JRPGs with cute chicks so the DS is a great system for you man. Loaded with RPGs. I've been itching for some Chrono Trigger so I'll probably run though that this month, to play along.

Oh?ย  How do you figure?ย  Cuz I thought the the SNES and PS1 were the go-to places for that.