IGNORED

In honor of what would've been my wife's 65th b-day, and her favorite system, this Dec is my first annual "DS-only" month

Estil

14 hours ago, Estil said:

Oh?  How do you figure?  Cuz I thought the the SNES and PS1 were the go-to places for that.

Take a dive, my good man. The DS library is loaded to the brim with good RPGs. The SNES and PS1 are where the classics are. But the DS is no slouch, with solid entries in the Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Pokemon series. It's where the Etrian Odyssey series took launch, you'll have Radiant Historia (highly recommended), Avalon Code, Luminous Arc and tons more.

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

PS1 version is horrible, and the DS adds extra content.  And is portable.

I really like the DS Chrono Trigger, even the Lost Sanctum bit, but I wish they had left the dialogue like it was.

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

PS1 version is horrible, and the DS adds extra content.  And is portable.

No no no no no, I wasn't talking about just Chrono Trigger, I mean the general offerings of JRPGs on the SNES and PS1...and how the ones on DS stack up.  I do intend to do Dragon Quest 9 (it's the only one I've not played at least most the way through) and I know there's Final Fantasy 3 but shouldn't I do the NES version first?

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Estil said:

No no no no no, I wasn't talking about just Chrono Trigger, I mean the general offerings of JRPGs on the SNES and PS1...and how the ones on DS stack up.  I do intend to do Dragon Quest 9 (it's the only one I've not played at least most the way through) and I know there's Final Fantasy 3 but shouldn't I do the NES version first?

I'll just say all 3 are amongst the best JRPG libraries ever.  Hard to say how they all stack up without playing through near all of them.  Something I doubt anyone has done.

...and a lot of the better DS RPGs did get 3DS deluxe releases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...and a lot of the better DS RPGs did get 3DS deluxe releases.

I would in fact like to know if Supercard DSTwo is still the best 3DS "Everdrive" out there or if there's something even better.  I think it's been enough time since the 3DS's retirement, is it not?

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

I would in fact like to know if Supercard DSTwo is still the best 3DS "Everdrive" out there or if there's something even better.  I think it's been enough time since the 3DS's retirement, is it not?

I'm curious about this myself.  From my experience, none of the "everdrive" options for the 3DS are great, but I think that is mainly because the people or groups who make the high quality stuff, tend to shy away from consoles that are still "active."  Now that Nintendo is moving on from the 3DS, I believe we will start seeing newer, better quality flash cart devices for the 3DS in the near future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm curious about this myself.  From my experience, none of the "everdrive" options for the 3DS are great, but I think that is mainly because the people or groups who make the high quality stuff, tend to shy away from consoles that are still "active."  Now that Nintendo is moving on from the 3DS, I believe we will start seeing newer, better quality flash cart devices for the 3DS in the near future. 

It's a good thing I got that Supercard DSTwo years back for my regular DSi-XL because I can't find those anywhere!

And on that note I'm still trying to figure out how to get PS2 isos to work on an internal hard drive properly (I was able to figure it out with an external plug-in kind but it makes the games a bit slow and choppy because the USB port on the PS2 is a meager 1.0 version)

Just now, Estil said:

It's a good thing I got that Supercard DSTwo years back for my regular DSi-XL because I can't find those anywhere!

And on that note I'm still trying to figure out how to get PS2 isos to work on an internal hard drive properly (I was able to figure it out with an external plug-in kind but it makes the games a bit slow and choppy because the USB port on the PS2 is a meager 1.0 version)

I picked up an R4 sometime before COVID, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.  I haven't even tried to use it yet.   I've also never tried to get into playing ISOs on a PS2 simply because I own most games I want to play for the system.  On the flip side I own an Everdrive brand flash cart for every console they are available for plus all of the flash carts made by Retro HQ which means I have nearly every cart based console covered.  I also have a GDEmu for the Dreamcast and want to eventually start getting all of the CD based ISO players.  

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I picked up an R4 sometime before COVID, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.  I haven't even tried to use it yet.   I've also never tried to get into playing ISOs on a PS2 simply because I own most games I want to play for the system.  On the flip side I own an Everdrive brand flash cart for every console they are available for plus all of the flash carts made by Retro HQ which means I have nearly every cart based console covered.  I also have a GDEmu for the Dreamcast and want to eventually start getting all of the CD based ISO players.  

Well I do too but isn't one of the main reasons for things like PSIO and Nintendon't is so you can play PS1 and GC (respectively) isos without worrying about wrecking/scratching/'printing your discs, especially the ones that are worth $100 or even $200+?  So yeah, at the risk of sounding greedy it sure would be nice if I could figure out the Free McBoot/PS2 thing.

And on THAT note I did finally find a seller who could fix me up with a nice original Xbox loaded with MAME arcade roms and even Xbox isos (and hopefully it's fairly easy to add more myself)...sadly it'll have to be a late Christmas present as I'm a bit short and I don't get paid again until Jan 3.  But better late than never right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 8:27 AM, Makar said:

What a great way to honor her! I hope you’ve enjoyed some great DS games! What is your favorite DS game?

Hard to say but the main one I've been working on is MegaMan Star Force 2 (which makes sense for December as the two versions are red/green Christmas colors right?).  And of course I named the folders and such in the games after me and the kitties 😄 

I'm gonna save Dragon Quest 9 for the start of the new year though 🙂

5 hours ago, Estil said:

Hard to say but the main one I've been working on is MegaMan Star Force 2 (which makes sense for December as the two versions are red/green Christmas colors right?).  And of course I named the folders and such in the games after me and the kitties 😄 

I'm gonna save Dragon Quest 9 for the start of the new year though 🙂

Nice! Lol that does make sense with the colors. Did you play through the first or third star forces yet? There is one battle network game on the DS too (5). I never played through ix but I did play through iv which was good. 

3 minutes ago, Makar said:

Nice! Lol that does make sense with the colors. Did you play through the first or third star forces yet? There is one battle network game on the DS too (5). I never played through ix but I did play through iv which was good. 

I haven't done Star Force 3 yet...and I've finished (all stars/badges) all the BN's except the sixth one.  I don't get why they put only the fifth one on DS and none of the others...

15 hours ago, Estil said:

I haven't done Star Force 3 yet...and I've finished (all stars/badges) all the BN's except the sixth one.  I don't get why they put only the fifth one on DS and none of the others...

Yea I will never understand why they released mmbn5 on the DS in 2005 but then released mmbn6 on the gba in 2006. Especially since you could play GBA games on your DS and ds lite. 

No I'm glad they put BN6 on GBA so I could play it on the GBA (I kid you not my local Gamestop/EB Games at the time thought I was nuts on passing up the DS version of BN5 and I opted instead to get the two GBA versions from Capcom's website).  I'm still waiting for a good way to play DS games on the TV 😞 

So now that the end of December is drawing near, does anyone here know how to make my DSi-XL play downloaded disware stuff (you can't run that off a Super Card DSTwo like you can regular DS games right?) or if there's a good flash cart of some kind that can play 3DS roms on my 3DS?

15 hours ago, Estil said:

No I'm glad they put BN6 on GBA so I could play it on the GBA (I kid you not my local Gamestop/EB Games at the time thought I was nuts on passing up the DS version of BN5 and I opted instead to get the two GBA versions from Capcom's website).  I'm still waiting for a good way to play DS games on the TV 😞 

Yea it didn’t matter to me either way. I still don’t understand why they released bn5 on gba in June 2005 and then on ds November 2005. You’d think if they were trying to push sales for the DS they would’ve released the DS version first or the gba version not at all. And yea idk a good way to play ds games on the tv.