IGNORED

Someone just stabbed my MP to death...

OptOut

David Amess, UK Member of Parliament for Southend West where I grew up, just got stabbed to death...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/15/mp-david-amess-dies-after-being-stabbed-at-constituency-surgery

Super shocked by this, he's been my local MP for over 20 years. Pretty fucked up, someone just went to his constituency clinic and just outright stabbed him in his own office, just gutted him like a fucking fish in cold blood.

Outraged, and sickened, honestly, dreadfully unfair. 😰 😔

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 2

Early reports are suggesting this was an attack by an individual motivated by Islamic radicalism. Just 25 years old, fucking idiot. Wasted his life and killed a good man for no reason.

I cannot fathom why on earth they would have targeted Amess, he's been on the backbenches his whole career as a politician. Never served as a minister, always been focused first and foremost on the needs of the local community!

There literally couldn't have been a less deserving target of politically motivated aggression, and I say that as someone who never voted for the man, personally, and only fleetingly saw him on a couple of occasions at local public events.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm honestly shocked this sort of thing doesn't regularly happen in the US.  Like, how have none of the crazy people taken a real shot at AOC or McConnell?

It did. Mainly bc Big Bern was saying how being denied healthcare was basically killing ppl. So my man felt the Bern and then actually tried to kill the senators who voted against the bill 🤘

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It did. Mainly bc Big Bern was saying how being denied healthcare was basically killing ppl. So my man felt the Bern and then actually tried to kill the senators who voted against the bill 🤘

Right.  I'm saying you'd think that'd be a weekly occurrence with much hatred there is nowadays.

• Agree 1

On 10/15/2021 at 1:46 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm honestly shocked this sort of thing doesn't regularly happen in the US.  Like, how have none of the crazy people taken a real shot at AOC or McConnell?

There was this rather odd occurrence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_baseball_shooting

• Wow! 1

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

There's a lot that could be said on the matter, who actually has the balls to do it though?

I do. I have the balls to stand up for social cohesion, local solidarity and an unshakable commitment to multiculturalism in the face of an attack by a DEEPLY sick individual opposed to those very principles.

David Amess was a lifelong supporter of the many multicultural communities in my hometown, Muslim, Jewish and all others alike.

His death has shocked and appalled everyone, but it does nothing to diminish the work he has done bringing our community together, it only tempers those bonds ever stronger.

Anyone seeking to make cheap political points off of the death of Amess is playing right into the flawed worldview and narrative of the sick fuck who killed him.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

It does, in the USA we have the shootings. In the UK they don’t have guns so they knife people, run them over with cars, detonate improvised explosives and throw acid in peoples faces.

Edited by phart010

I was really saddened to hear about how the cops on the scene stopped a priest from giving him his last rites as he lay dying, citing that it was "an active crime scene."  There was already irrefutable proof of who had done what, so I don't understand how letting a priest kneel next to a mortally wounded man to try and help ease his suffering as well as his passage into what comes next would have ruined or tampered with anything there.  I mean, shit, the paramedics (if they were called, haven't read much in depth about this), would have done more to mess up the scene than guy there to care for the victim and his soul.

Regardless of how we each might feel about religion, and Catholicism in general, the victim here was Catholic and most likely would have been comforted by the duty the priest was trying to perform, but was denied that due to a police policy folks on the scene (and likely higher up, since the article I read defended their actions) didn't have the sense to make an exception in.

RIP David Amess.

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I was really saddened to hear about how the cops on the scene stopped a priest from giving him his last rites as he lay dying, citing that it was "an active crime scene."  There was already irrefutable proof of who had done what, so I don't understand how letting a priest kneel next to a mortally wounded man to try and help ease his suffering as well as his passage into what comes next would have ruined or tampered with anything there.  I mean, shit, the paramedics (if they were called, haven't read much in depth about this), would have done more to mess up the scene than guy there to care for the victim and his soul.

Regardless of how we each might feel about religion, and Catholicism in general, the victim here was Catholic and most likely would have been comforted by the duty the priest was trying to perform, but was denied that due to a police policy folks on the scene (and likely higher up, since the article I read defended their actions) didn't have the sense to make an exception in.

RIP David Amess.

You can't let people walk all over an active crime scene, no matter how obvious it is to you. A jury needs circumstantial proof when this guy gets his trial and the prosecution will need to show without a doubt it was the defendant that killed him at that specific time of day with that specific weapon, wearing those specific clothes and those specific shoes. Even if he admits to doing it, they still need to prove all that in order to determine sentencing.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

You can't let people walk all over an active crime scene, no matter how obvious it is to you. A jury needs circumstantial proof when this guy gets his trial and the prosecution will need to show without a doubt it was the defendant that killed him at that specific time of day with that specific weapon, wearing those specific clothes and those specific shoes. Even if he admits to doing it, they still need to prove all that in order to determine sentencing.

Thank you, but I, as well as many, many others, are well aware of how the absolute basics of any legal system works and what the intention of the policy in action was.  This, however, doesn't stop non-detectives, paramedics, etc., from doing the exact same thing.  There were also literally two witnesses, in the room with him while he was being stabbed, besides the people who were in the outer room who could see through the door what was going on.  There was zero evidence that the priest could have ruined for them seeing as they already had two close up witnesses, the suspect, as well as the murder weapon, all long before the paramedics ever arrived.  The only other excuse that the police have offered is that they cordon off such areas to allow medical services to perform their duties.  However, I've never once heard of a paramedic, doctor, etc., denying a member of any clergy access to someone who was dying.  Yes, the police have their policies and procedures, yes, they've established them for solid reasons, but virtually every rule and regulation needs some amount of flexibility in its enforcement and execution for the unexpected.  The bit with the priest was just a bad call, and it's one that they can never take back or make better, regardless of how noble the intentions of those who originally estabilished such policy were.

5 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

RIP David Amess.

Hold up, if he wasnt dead yet, why wasn't he being rushed to a hospital or seen by paramedics? (Even if his condition was dire and he was going to die enroute)

It isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) up to cops to decide if your condition is salvageable...

Edited by arch_8ngel

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Hold up, if he wasnt dead yet, why wasn't he being rushed to a hospital or seen by paramedics? (Even if his condition was dire and he was going to die enroute)

It isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) up to cops to decide if your condition is salvageable...

He was being seen by paramedics, there was an air ambulance on the scene within minutes, which my friend told me about as it was happening because he lives like right across the road from where it happened.

There was no way Amess could have been moved at that time, however, he was stabbed at least 17 times. There was nothing anyone could have done to save him. 😔

31 minutes ago, OptOut said:

He was being seen by paramedics, there was an air ambulance on the scene within minutes, which my friend told me about as it was happening because he lives like right across the road from where it happened.

There was no way Amess could have been moved at that time, however, he was stabbed at least 17 times. There was nothing anyone could have done to save him. 😔

Ok, that makes sense -- was just surprised at the comment about being worried about paramedics trashing the scene...

8 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Ok, that makes sense -- was just surprised at the comment about being worried about paramedics trashing the scene...

As far as I understand, he was dead by the time the paramedics arrived, he died very shortly after the attack due to the severity of his wounds.

If a priest had made it to the scene by the time cops were already there, he would have been giving the last rites to a corpse by that point anyway. 😞

On 10/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, OptOut said:

As far as I understand, he was dead by the time the paramedics arrived, he died very shortly after the attack due to the severity of his wounds.

If a priest had made it to the scene by the time cops were already there, he would have been giving the last rites to a corpse by that point anyway. 😞

The stuff I've read up on this indicates that the cops were on the scene first, then the priest, then the paramedics.  The paramedics didn't move him but stayed on scene because he was alive and they were working on him, although he couldn't be moved until stabilized, and ended up dying shortly after being airlifted out due to the severity of his injuries.  Current accounts say the medics worked on Amess on-site for at least two and a half hours before sending him off to the hospital, and that he died around 45 minutes after leaving the scene.

The cops made it to the scene quick enough that they got the suspect on-site, and the priest was shortly behind, but ahead of the paramedics, so it sounds like everybody did everything as quickly and immediately as could be expected.  I'm just still saddened that, by all accounts, the man was completely denied his last rites.  If he was allowed them during the airlift or at the hospital, I haven't yet been able to find any account.

• Sad 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:46 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Ever heard of Secret Service?  Capitol Police?  Perhaps their own bodyguards?  I mean if famous entertainers have them, why not?

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Estil said:

Ever heard of Secret Service?  Capitol Police?  Perhaps their own bodyguards?  I mean if famous entertainers have them, why not?

Congress does not get Secret Service details...

Go watch videos of Romney and McConnell being accosted in public.

Hell, your boy Rand Paul was tackled by his neighbor.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Congress does not get Secret Service details...

Go watch videos of Romney and McConnell being accosted in public.

Hell, your boy Rand Paul was tackled by his neighbor.

Maybe they should...at least the highest ranks.  Let's just say there's a very tragic reason why Presidential candidates have Secret Service protection. 😞