IGNORED

Game Debate #71: Myst

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Contra
    • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
    • Double Dragon II

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, G-type said:

The part of this I don't like is that a lot of the puzzles are the variety where the input and the output are in different places. Push a button on this screen, and then explore the whole whole island to notice what changed (which you will only notice if you had already explored the island previously and taken meticulous notes.

7/10 My cousin and I took all kinds of notes, made maps, and even drew out the keyboard and labeled the pattern on it. Myst even required you to read the in game books to help figure out some things. In the mid 90s it was the best of the puzzle games.  

I gave it a 7.  Although it hasn't aged all that well in it's original form, the new remaster that came out recently brings it up to snuff for a modern audience.  Sadly, it's not as mind-blowing now as it was back in the day.  While it truly broke new ground in the CDROM era, the fact that the design is pretty archaic drags it down.  Without it's historical value, I'd probably drop it a couple points.  Still, it's definitely worth checking out!

On 10/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, DoctorEncore said:

It was certainly a novel experience when it launched and I spent at least a few hours admiring the environment and world back in the 90s. Usually I would get bored or frustrated and quit, never making any real progress. I'd like to play through the remake and see how it holds up, so I'll hold off on judgment for now.

Welp, it took me two hours to figure out that you have to manually close the door to the elevator, rather than just pushing the button. So... probably not going to be a 10/10 for me. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• 1 year later...

6 out of 10 from me

I played it a lot when it came out, but I've still never finished it.  It was quite difficult and required some patient analysis to make progress.  I really like point and click adventures, so this is right up my alley.  I plan to finish it someday, but I'll have to approach the game much more like work (taking notes etc.) than gaming.