IGNORED

Should I make workplace waves or not?

fcgamer

Should I make waves or not?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make waves or not?

• Go for it, tell them how you feel!!!
    • Stay silent, keep the peace!

After five years living city centre, Ive been wanting to move back to the coastal area, hopefully to settle down for good, an hour from where I'm currently living (I had lived in that area for many years before moving city centre). Thanks to Covid-19 and therefore a bout of unemployment, I don't think now is the right moment the be moving, I see the proper time in about a year, though I could move there tomorrow if need be.

Anyways, a situation occurred at work, which really pisses me off. Essentially, most of my time working is teaching / interacting with kindergarten / preschool children, in English. Then twice a week, in the afternoon, I go down to a cram school owned by the same guy as this private kindergarten, to teach elementary-aged children. Obviously, some of the kids from the kindergarten then go to the cram school, when they head off to elementary school.

Anyways, elementary school started for the kids last week in Taiwan, and I resumed my two afternoons if teaching at the cram school. As we found out though, the manager didn't put me to teach the kids that I had been working with for two+ years. Instead it was given to a random bozo, and I was placed to work with a class of random students that I don't know from Adam, and honestly don't give a shit about either.

It sounds terrible to even say the above, but the thing is, the preschool kids' parents even asked if I would be teaching them, should they enroll their kids at the cram school after school program, and the answer that was told was "yes". 

Some of the parents based the decision to send their kids to this place based on the (lie) that I'd be working with them. And from my perspective, after working with the kids since they were 3 years old, and watching them grow, I have a personal interest, an actual desire / concern to see them progress. One of them also has autism, and that makes it even more personal for me as my brother has autism, and there isn't much mercy shown towards autistic children in Taiwan.

Ultimately the kids are disappointed, I'm pissed off. Which brings me to the question:

Should I bitch to the manager about it?

She's not going to fire me, and she's likely not going to change things. So the only thing that bitching would do is throw shit into the fire, creating an akwardness amongst the school. That being said though, if I don't complain about this, I'm just going to be passive aggressive about it, so which is better? Am I going off on the deep end here? Do I have the right to be pissed?

If you are still in touch with the unhappy parents you might explain to them it was not your choice and suggest they talk to the manager to express their dissatisfaction. No offense, but their input will likely carry more weight than yours.  And they have the option of going over her head whereas it might be precarious for you to do so.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

If you are still in touch with the unhappy parents you might explain to them it was not your choice and suggest they talk to the manager to express their dissatisfaction. No offense, but their input will likely carry more weight than yours.  And they have the option of going over her head whereas it might be precarious for you to do so.

100%. Also be thankful you have a job and carry on.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Murray said:

I would ask myself, what would @JamesRobot do in this situation? 

Well since I was summoned for some bad advice...

Grab 2 margaritas, body check those new kids, and march into that office and shoot her the double birds.  That oughtta get your point across.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Events Team · Posted

Seriously though, don't go the passive aggressive route.  As a manager, that always pisses me off.  A good leader can and should accept legitimate constructive criticism and consider all of the angles.  Honesty, your own position kind of comes last in line.  What is best for the kids comes first (that includes the new set of students), then likely the whims of their parents, then your own personal concerns (assuming she can leave hre own ego out of it).  School operations are in there somewhere too, probably ahead of the parents.

But you do have some valid points that should be considered.  Present it as what you consider best for the kids and best for the school.  If she insists on the new way, ask for some feedback and clarification.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I'd probably go this route as well. It's more likely to get something done without potentially getting you in trouble.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Seriously though, don't go the passive aggressive route.  As a manager, that always pisses me off.  A good leader can and should accept legitimate constructive criticism and consider all of the angles.  Honesty, your own position kind of comes last in line.  What is best for the kids comes first (that includes the new set of students), then likely the whims of their parents, then your own personal concerns (assuming she can leave hre own ego out of it).  School operations are in there somewhere too, probably ahead of the parents.

But you do have some valid points that should be considered.  Present it as what you consider best for the kids and best for the school.  If she insists on the new way, ask for some feedback and clarification.

Wait a minute, you're allowed to manage something?!

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd probably go this route as well. It's more likely to get something done without potentially getting you in trouble.

Don't really care any getting in trouble, after eleven years on the island I decided to write an exposee on the industry, about a third of the way finished.

Especially with covid-19, no one is coming onto the island, so even if I lose this job, there's plenty more to be had.

• Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted

I think you should first ask the manager why they chose to have someone else teach the kids you've been working with for years.  You can say that the parents had expected you to teach them and may come and ask you what you aren't so you want to be able to explain this.  This does a couple things.  Gives you the oppurtunity to find out the reason behind the switch and also preps the manager for likely blow back from the switch.  So in the end it doesn't look like your bitching to bitch but trying to defuse the bomb your manager set so you look like a good employee.  Honestly its in all parties interest for you to keep teaching unless there is a damn good reason. 

Also on her reason you can either get REALLY pissed or just understand the shit satiation she was in and turns out this was not going to end well ever anyone.  At that point you don't have to be angary with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Thing is, this is a private institute, they don't care about the kids or parents or teachers, only about $$$. Some of the shit I've seen...even making midterm exams for the kids, then the local teachers "coach" them on the answers. If they still manage to do less than 80% on the test day, they retake the exam until they score higher, just so mummy and daddy can believe their son or daughter is a genius 😂

If I make waves, I'm not going to get fired, even if I dropped a few F bombs. Similarly though, it won't change anything either. So it's literally about making a scene for the sake of it or not.

19 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Don't really care any getting in trouble, after eleven years on the island I decided to write an exposee on the industry, about a third of the way finished.

Especially with covid-19, no one is coming onto the island, so even if I lose this job, there's plenty more to be had.

13525A09-42AB-4382-8A7B-63948E34CBC2.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Well yeah, actually I would have to be a dick about it 😉

Well, whatever comes naturally to you. 😛 I kid, I kid.

If you're secure that you can find another job and don't mind burning some bridges, go for broke. Otherwise, I would look for a diplomatic way to get your point across.