IGNORED

1st game you ever finished?

Nintegageo

As short as they are, I'm not sure if I should count Atari games but...technically I finished E.T. multiple times and it was probably the first game I played that had an end and wasn't just a high-score chase.

If you want me to skip Atari, I think either Contra or Mega Man 2 (I finished both around the same time but can't remember which happened first) would be the first games I ever saw through to the end. I actually never beat Super Mario Bros. until sometime in the mid-90's (the sequence puzzle in 8-4 turned me off from finishing it for years).

So yeah, either E.T. or Contra/Mega Man 2.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:25 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Hard to say.  Probably Commander Keen or Super Mario World.  Or maybe The Simpsons arcade game.  Something between 1990-1993.

Ooh! I almost forgot! With the help of my mother, aunt and uncle, we actually did get all the way to the end of the TMNT Arcade Game once, at the mall in Phoenix. That was a lot of quarters!

That would have been somewhere between 1989-1990. Although I'm pretty sure that would have been after beating Contra/MM2, so...

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:05 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Hah.  That reminds me, does anyone remember some sort of "game" where you had a plastic ship and a pilot who would be ejected if you got killed?  I recall commercials for it.

Are you talking about Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future? Yep, I had one. And so did every kid in the 80's, I think. 😆

10 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Wait! It's actually possible to finish Oregon Trail without your entire family dying? In all my years, I don't think I've ever witnessed that happen. 😟

I think we only had one member left, and you have to pick a good combo of grueling pace and good food right after you hunt.

12 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Wait! It's actually possible to finish Oregon Trail without your entire family dying? In all my years, I don't think I've ever witnessed that happen. 😟

I did it once. If you leave in April at a fast pace, and manage to make the Dalles by November with enough money, the toll road makes for an easy finish. The rivers are where you lose people the most.

Just now, Tulpa said:

I did it once. If you leave in April at a fast pace, and manage to make the Dalles by November with enough money, the toll road makes for an easy finish. The rivers are where you lose people the most.

Interesting. I always assumed that it was possible to make it to Oregon with good management and a little luck but I also know that the point of the game was to demonstrate just how harsh and unforgiving life on the frontier was during the great Westward migration. My family always died to a combination of getting swept down river, snake bites and, of course, dysentery.