IGNORED

1st game you ever finished?

Nintegageo

28 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know that that would have quite the same magic as finishing it in 1989.  What did you think?

Maybe not but I guess I wanted to do like Julie Andrews and start at the very beginning!  A very good place to start! 😄 

9 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well I didn't even get started in gaming at all until I got my first NES for my tenth birthday in 1990.  I sure did get my money's worth on that Zelda 1 game though as well as Metroid...remember back then if you didn't have the POWER, Nintendo Power you had no other option but to make your own maps as you went along...and I did in fact make some nice ones for the Zelda dungeons if I do say so myself...I wish I still had them...

Me too.  I didn’t have Nintendo Power back then.  My dad and I made all the maps on these little yellow tablets that he used to get from work.  Man I wish I had those.

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros in 1989 I am pretty sure at at 7.  I have beaten it likely a thousand times and still love playing it.

Also cool is that my daughter's first completed game was New Super Mario Bros. U (with me at age 8), her first game beaten on her own was Donut Country, also at 8.

• Like 1

That's a tough question. I usually only played games in very short bursts when I was young, maybe 30 minutes at a time, so it wasn't until I was a bit older and had a SNES that I started routinely finishing games. I'd probably have to go with either SMB3 for the NES or maybe Mortal Kombat for the Genesis. Both great games and great memories.

• Like 1

I never had video games in the house until the NES test launch, arcade games didn't really end, at least the ones I played.  Given the 4 games I got with the deluxe set and on the side, only one could be finished, and it was the following year in 1986 -- Super Mario Bros. 🙂

• Like 2

Most Atari 2600 games don't have a win condition (a few do), but I remember hitting the loop point or the difficulty maximum on a few. The first one was probably Yars Revenge, getting to the pink shield. I've also found the Howard Scott Warshaw easter egg in it.

• Like 2

Probably some Atari 2600 game on a loop, like Tulpa just mentioned.  

Here's one:

I finished ET on the 2600 by throwing it in the closet at the tender age of 6.  The game gave me my first, actual headache in life...seriously.  I was finished with it at that point.

Edited by Sumer
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I never had video games in the house until the NES test launch, arcade games didn't really end, at least the ones I played.  Given the 4 games I got with the deluxe set and on the side, only one could be finished, and it was the following year in 1986 -- Super Mario Bros. 🙂

Yeah, did the whole arcade thing too before I got a Coleco Gemini in the home.  I am trying to think...what was the first arcade game that had an actual ending?  Marble Madness?

That is the famous story, isn't it, regarding Marble Madness?  The first six weeks it hit the arcades, it earned quarters like hot cakes.  But then when everyone got to the end of the game, it plummeted from the earnings report for Atari since the game had a definite ending and was a pretty short game once you mastered it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sumer said:

I am trying to think...what was the first arcade game that had an actual ending?  Marble Madness?

If you're talking an intentional ending and not a kill screen, I can think of two. Dragon's Lair predated Marble Madness by a year and a half. Pole Position was even earlier, in 1982.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

If you're talking an intentional ending and not a kill screen, I can think of two. Dragon's Lair predated Marble Madness by a year and a half. Pole Position was even earlier, in 1982.

D'oh!  Yes, Dragon's Lair should have been my first guess.  Pole Position...I don't think I ever made it far enough to realize it had an intentional ending!  🙂

And now that you mention Dragon's Lair, I am sure all of the "Me Too" Laser Disc games that came out immediately after Dragon's Lair also predate Marble Madness as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sumer said:

Pole Position...I don't think I ever made it far enough to realize it had an intentional ending!

When I first managed to complete it, I thought it would loop, like you'd start another race to increase your points. But nope, you run the qualifier, four laps or so of the main race, you get your standing on the highscore screen, and game over and back to the attract screen. Want to race more? Gotta put in another quarter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Star Raiders

That one has an ending! I forgot about that game. Probably the only Atari game I owned that had an actual win condition.

I think I got to the pink shield in Yars Revenge first, though.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, DefaultGen said:

Sonic 2 maybe. I really wasn't beating much of anything as a kid besides maybe some kids PC game I can't remember because I sucked and had no patience. On Genesis I also remember beating Taz in Escape from Mars, Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, X-Men 2, Vectorman, and Blaster Master 2 as a kid.

Sonic 2 is no easy feat...

• 3 weeks later...